Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: My Heroscape Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
10+: Work on teaching them the basics of probability. Eventually they might understand Ollie's paper.
I'm a 27 year old college graduate that passed the CPA exam on my first sitting.

I don't understand Ollie's paper.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
10+: Work on teaching them the basics of probability. Eventually they might understand Ollie's paper.
I'm a 27 year old college graduate that passed the CPA exam on my first sitting.

Assuming you're not kidding, I'd be interested in knowing what bits you found sticky. I'm probably going to be distributing these in a read-these-and-try-to-understand-it way before classes next semester. Of course, it's way easier to explain in person because you can adjust the pace and go over any problematic bits in more detail, but the further it's possible to get prior to class the better.
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby!

Great way to introduce them to the game PK! I like to describe Heroscape as Chess but more fun. Regardless of whether or not that description fits, its seems to get people to stop looking at me like a just grew a second head out of my neck.

This is actually a great game for young minds because it teaches;
Basic Arithmetic
Sportsmanship
Promotes creative thinking
Communication
Reading
etc, etc, etc...

I really have a difficult time with parents that don't allow or help stimulate a child's imagination. We'd still be living in caves and chipping away at a rock right now if it wasn't for imagination. Again, great job.

My Maps
Upcoming M.A.R.S. (Mid-Atlantic Regional 'Scapers - PA/MD/NJ) Events Thread
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Assuming you're not kidding, I'd be interested in knowing what bits you found sticky. I'm probably going to be distributing these in a read-these-and-try-to-understand-it way before classes next semester. Of course, it's way easier to explain in person because you can adjust the pace and go over any problematic bits in more detail, but the further it's possible to get prior to class the better.
That statement was 95% tongue-in-cheek (should've posted a ), and 5% "I hate probability formulas". However, I'm sure given some time to read through it, I would understand.

I don't know about 8 year olds though.... but, like you said, it would be fun to waive under their parents' noses.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That statement was 95% tongue-in-cheek (should've posted a ), and 5% "I hate probability formulas". However, I'm sure given some time to read through it, I would understand.

I don't know about 8 year olds though.... but, like you said, it would be fun to waive under their parents' noses.
Heh, that's what I suspected. These notes are certainly not pitched at eight year olds, but I'd hope that an interested fourteen year old, say, could handle it. If anyone else does give them a read, particularly someone who isn't familiar with the concepts in advance, I'd love to know what works and what doesn't.
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Troubleman23 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
Great way to introduce them to the game PK! I like to describe Heroscape as Chess but more fun. Regardless of whether or not that description fits, its seems to get people to stop looking at me like a just grew a second head out of my neck.

This is actually a great game for young minds because it teaches;
Basic Arithmetic
Sportsmanship
Promotes creative thinking
Communication
Reading
etc, etc, etc...

I really have a difficult time with parents that don't allow or help stimulate a child's imagination. We'd still be living in caves and chipping away at a rock right now if it wasn't for imagination. Again, great job.
I am totally with you on this one. I'm in middle school right now, and am in the "Talented and Gifted (TAG)" group. It's a seperate group, that us Tag kids can go 2 times a week to learn new things that they don't teach in the normal classes. We do interesting stimulating projects, that teach us new and different skills. And it pains me as one of these kids to see a parent not let their child do something that makes them think in new and different ways. Something that could help them further their basic knowledge no matter what age level or how advanced they are.

Great job PK.

If you are interested in winning free stuff, please PM me, no joke, you know you want to!
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Nice gig...I can only imagine the parents looking at you like you were some kind of child molester...
Let me just clarify that this statement is in reference to you playing a crazy board game with their kids, not a reference to your pic. Although now that I think about it...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Nathify is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

What the heck did you do to your Grimnak?!? Is he all bloody or something?

Things in life dissapoint you. Even heroscape...when you notice how light your wallet is.
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:25 PM

TexMex Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Awesome, PK! Playing board games is a good way to build math and critical thinking skills.

~Aldin, edumacatedly
You beat me to it, Aldin. There was actually an article in Men's Health a few years back that showed how/what we learn from games and even what parts of the brain they use. In the "war games" department, it was referring specifically to Risk and Axis and Allies, but I think it applies to 'scape too:

"THE TARGET An area called the caudate nucleus, which studies show is activated when you become more trusting of an individual--or when you cooperate to gang up on an opponent

THE TASK Players coordinate offenses with allies and stage attacks on enemy forces to win a simulated version of World War II.

THE TAKEAWAY 'These games require an assessment of whether people are cooperating with or competing against you,' says [Scott Huettel, Ph.D., an assistant professor of psychiatry at Duke University]. 'In a semicompetitive work environment, you have to decide whether you're going to work on the same team as someone or undercut them to get ahead.'"

So there's some more "facts" to throw at those parents

As a teacher, I also applaud your efforts to "mix things up." A friend of my found out I got really into Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution and told me her high school Economics teacher used an older version of the game as a teaching aid, so you're in good company, Pumpkin_King In fact, my dream class would be titled Miscellaneous, and we'd cover a new, random subject every semester or quarter

The Daily Pugle
Albuquerque, NM-NHSD Tourney 2008 Results:
TexMex: 2nd Place
Mrs. TexMex: 8th Place--Out of 10
PS I lost every battle in my first tourney
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Cool! I wish I could do this at my homeschool co-op, but most of the moms there are vehemtky against magic and violence, so we always end up playing stupid games like tag or hot potato. Ick.

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Nice gig...I can only imagine the parents looking at you like you were some kind of child molester...
Let me just clarify that this statement is in reference to you playing a crazy board game with their kids, not a reference to your pic. Although now that I think about it...

Brandon
Hmm. Maybe I'd better re-think giving the parents the link to this thread after the end of the classes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathify View Post
What the heck did you do to your Grimnak?!? Is he all bloody or something?
Yeah, I repainted him. I actually don't have a normal-colored Grimnak in my possession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMex View Post
So there's some more "facts" to throw at those parents

As a teacher, I also applaud your efforts to "mix things up." A friend of my found out I got really into Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution and told me her high school Economics teacher used an older version of the game as a teaching aid, so you're in good company, Pumpkin_King In fact, my dream class would be titled Miscellaneous, and we'd cover a new, random subject every semester or quarter
Hey, thanks! I'm gathering up some stuff to print out for the parents. This will work perfectly. And I actually did that sort of thing last year. I did six weeks of science classes, and did a different subject every week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart101 View Post
Cool! I wish I could do this at my homeschool co-op, but most of the moms there are vehemtky against magic and violence, so we always end up playing stupid games like tag or hot potato. Ick.
Well, I took out a bunch of things; zombies, vampires, the elf wizards, etc. It helped that none of the parents knew about the game, and so knew nothing about certain units being in. If any of them ask how much it is, where to get it, whatever, I'll just have to warn them beforehand. At least HS isn't blind purchase, eh?
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
No, I didn't get paid. It was on my own time. But it was fun regardless.
=
Quote:
...I can only imagine the parents looking at you like you were some kind of child molester...
I'm just kidding. It's seems really awesome that the game is spreading like this. 6 weeks of heroscape? They'll ne addicts soon enough.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion