Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old December 17th, 2018, 05:07 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Flash_19's Maps: New Map 11/14/18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
New map time! Hopefully maps using these sets/in this style aren't getting old. I'll change it up with the next ones.

Blackridge:
Requires 1x RotV, 1x RttFF, 1x FotA

Feedback is always appreciated.
This map is beautiful. How well are the bulkier double-spaced figures able to move around on it? Do you find there are a lot of spaces they have trouble getting to or attacking in melee? Think TKN, Nilfheim, Quahon, etc.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 17th, 2018, 10:19 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Flash_19's Maps: New Map 12/9/18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Seriously, I'm going to use one of these maps for testing when I next get around to it. I was already eyeing Ruins of Rennoc after its contest, Withering Pines I've already complimented, and Morag looks excellent, too (I'm planning on using something with lava to have fun with Knockback superheroes ).

Also, Juxtaposed is a really well executed concept!
Lol - I'm having flashbacks to a Utah tournament a few months ago where most of the maps were lava. I've never seen so many people using Jotun, Heracles, or Shurrak at a tournament before! I had a full life Rhogar lava dunked in two different games. It was kinda rough...

Thanks again for your kind words - feel free to share any thoughts after you play them! I'd love to hear it.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I agree with Flash." ~superfrog

Old December 17th, 2018, 10:59 PM

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Flash_19's Maps: New Map 11/14/18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
This map is beautiful. How well are the bulkier double-spaced figures able to move around on it? Do you find there are a lot of spaces they have trouble getting to or attacking in melee? Think TKN, Nilfheim, Quahon, etc.
Thanks so much!

Those side sections can definitely be more challenging to maneuver - and there are a couple spots for each of those figures you named where they wouldn't fit (though some of that could be eliminated by removing battlements on the edges of the map - I wouldn't be opposed to somebody doing that if they wanted, but I think it looks cooler with them there...). However, I think the most important thing to mention is that there is not a spot on the map where those larger figures wouldn't be able to get adjacent to an enemy figure to attack it, but it may take a bit of adjusting in order to get there, and it might not be the most desirable location for the larger figure. Personally, I'm okay with that because it's realistic without being too limiting.

Here are some pics I took with the figures you mentioned. Once again, each has a couple places it can't fit in, but overall, I think they fit in alright (though certainly that would depend on other figures on the board as well). Quahon is definitely the hardest to fit overall out of the figures you named. The largest problems would probably come with trying to fit two larger figures in that area. Nilfheim and Quahon together would be the most difficult, but there are a handful of ways they can both fit in there.

Tor-Kul-Na Pics
Spoiler Alert!

Quahon Pics
Spoiler Alert!

Nilfheim Pics
Spoiler Alert!

So in short, if you anticipate playing lots of large/huge figures, you'd be more comfortable on a more open map, but I think this map could handle most situations okay.

Hope that helps!

Old December 18th, 2018, 02:14 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Mostly I was thinking that if you want this to be a tournament-worthy map then double-spaced figures are a good thing to keep in mind.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 18th, 2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Mostly I was thinking that if you want this to be a tournament-worthy map then double-spaced figures are a good thing to keep in mind.
Definitely. I appreciate you chiming in! I'll look for that with future games that I play on it - and see if an update is warranted to make it a little more double-spaced friendly.

Old December 18th, 2018, 08:24 PM

A look at what I'm currently working on - should have the build instructions up in a few days. Still have a handful of changes I'm debating - mostly the positioning of snow in the central area. Feel free to chime in if you'd like!

Old December 20th, 2018, 08:22 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Thanks again for your kind words - feel free to share any thoughts after you play them! I'd love to hear it.
I've gotten about a dozen games in so far on Withering Pines (having fun with new units: Azazel, 2x Skull Demon, 4x Death Knights vs Captain America, Venom, Isamu) and it plays really well. There's just enough LoS blocking in the middle to make it interesting; the road works great in both directions; the glyphs are accessible and vulnerable without being too much of either; and lava of course makes for interesting placement decisions. Thanks for the great map!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 20th, 2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
I've gotten about a dozen games in so far on Withering Pines (having fun with new units: Azazel, 2x Skull Demon, 4x Death Knights vs Captain America, Venom, Isamu) and it plays really well. There's just enough LoS blocking in the middle to make it interesting; the road works great in both directions; the glyphs are accessible and vulnerable without being too much of either; and lava of course makes for interesting placement decisions. Thanks for the great map!
Thanks for that feedback! I'm glad you've enjoyed your games on it.

Those new units look like a lot of fun to play. I'm excited to give them a whirl too!

Old January 6th, 2019, 12:53 AM

Snow Line: New map 1/5/19!
Requires 1 RotV, 1 TT, 1 TJ

Old January 7th, 2019, 06:11 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Haven’t been here in a while. Drudgery is a great map! I think it will travel well for Taleethascape next month.
Old January 8th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I've got Laur's Peak up right now and am loving it! (Since I didn't get to play it in December.) I'm super jealous of your mad skills of making legit aesthetic and competitively interesting maps at the same time!

Snow Line looks really solid. At first I had some concerns of ranged figures being able to Turn 1 shoot into the start zone, but after looking closer it seems you've done a good job of closing off those potential shooting lanes with the LoS blockers and jungle effects. Those Raelin perches on the edges of the map could be something to look out for, though.

Quick comment on this guy:

because I love the overall look/concept! However, there are a lot of jungle pieces next to high ground. Those make for good camping areas, which makes me worry about Raelin/range vs range games. Since the glyphs are also next to one of the hills, I feel like this would play into a yours/mine scenario with both armies first going to their left, then being unwilling to give up their advantage. I haven't played the map, but those are my impressions.

Also, question to you since you've been doing some bridge maps (with this one and with Braunglayde Bridge): have you considered removing the bridge walls on those maps? It's not something I can speak to with too much (or any) authority, but in the past when I've fantasized building a bridge map, it seems like a way to help balance it to allow easier access to/engagement with the bridge. Of course, on some maps (like Braunglayde) you'd lose that LoS blocking element, so I'm not completely sure it's the right move, but it's something of a thought experiment I thought I'd toss out here.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old January 8th, 2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I've got Laur's Peak up right now and am loving it! (Since I didn't get to play it in December.) I'm super jealous of your mad skills of making legit aesthetic and competitively interesting maps at the same time!
Thanks Bigga - that means a lot coming from you. You have a very good eye for maps, and a great way of thinking through all the details of them. So I appreciate your compliment and the feedback!

Quote:
Snow Line looks really solid. At first I had some concerns of ranged figures being able to Turn 1 shoot into the start zone, but after looking closer it seems you've done a good job of closing off those potential shooting lanes with the LoS blockers and jungle effects. Those Raelin perches on the edges of the map could be something to look out for, though.
Thanks! Yeah - I'll note those single hexes on the outsides as something to look for in my games on it. The outsides felt a little bland without some variety there, but if they need to go, then they'll go.

Quote:
Quick comment on this guy:

because I love the overall look/concept! However, there are a lot of jungle pieces next to high ground. Those make for good camping areas, which makes me worry about Raelin/range vs range games. Since the glyphs are also next to one of the hills, I feel like this would play into a yours/mine scenario with both armies first going to their left, then being unwilling to give up their advantage. I haven't played the map, but those are my impressions.
Yeah, you make a solid point here. On the games I've played, it's been pretty balanced as to what side people go for. It hasn't felt like a yours/mine scenario, but I totally see your point, and I'll look for it in future games (including looking at the jungle placement).

Quote:
Also, question to you since you've been doing some bridge maps (with this one and with Braunglayde Bridge): have you considered removing the bridge walls on those maps? It's not something I can speak to with too much (or any) authority, but in the past when I've fantasized building a bridge map, it seems like a way to help balance it to allow easier access to/engagement with the bridge. Of course, on some maps (like Braunglayde) you'd lose that LoS blocking element, so I'm not completely sure it's the right move, but it's something of a thought experiment I thought I'd toss out here.
Before addressing your question... just a note. I would consider Braunglayde Bridge one of the weaker maps on my thread, and one that I wouldn't recommend for a tournament worthy map quite yet. Having said that, I haven't considered removing the walls precisely because of the reason you mentioned. I tried to put a few adjacent tiles next to bridge spaces to allow figures on the bridge to be engaged, but I liked the LOS blocking element that you mentioned. And perhaps I care too much about aesthetics, but I thought it looked kinda funny too...

I haven't considered taking the walls off of Haukeland Marsh... so I dunno. I'd have to think about that.

Thanks so much for your feedback. It helps a ton! And you've given me some great things to stew over.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios