Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old March 3rd, 2024, 02:21 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: HeroScape is coming back!

I'm with nyys and Mr. Helm in that I think Flying text is a useful barrier to complexity creep. Yes, design discipline and restraint are important, but humans can always use some assistance in doing the right thing. It's why we made up the whole "laws" thing.

Plus, as evidenced by this...

Quote:
Plus I want to see more powers anyways.
...some players prefer to remove Flying text specifically to enable complexity creep.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 02:26 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
I'm with nyys and Mr. Helm in that I think Flying text is a useful barrier to complexity creep. Yes, design discipline and restraint are important, but humans can always use some assistance in doing the right thing. It's why we made up the whole "laws" thing.

Plus, as evidenced by this...

Quote:
Plus I want to see more powers anyways.
...some players prefer to remove Flying text specifically to enable complexity creep.
I think it’s a very thin argument to use flying as a form of barrier. No ability should be used in such a way.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old March 3rd, 2024, 02:32 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
The complexity is palatable.

I fully recognize that the world of board games and the market for Heroscape has matured. Complexity is almost a badge of honor nowadays, but give me Krav and Syvarris who do a great job representing matrix agents and legolas respectively.
You are cherry picking less complex cards as I did with the Cursed Earth.
The reality is that the complexity comes down to the cards you choose to play and not the system itself in this case.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 3rd, 2024, 02:38 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I fully recognize that the world of board games and the market for Heroscape has matured. Complexity is almost a badge of honor nowadays, but give me Krav and Syvarris who do a great job representing matrix agents and legolas respectively.
The reality is that the complexity comes down to the cards you choose to play and not the system itself in this case.
I personally feel the Master of Tides has too many powers. This is what I mean by design discipline. I would pick one of those abilities and pitch it. At some point, the clutter works against you and the card is not easily decoded.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old March 3rd, 2024, 02:50 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Cursed Earth actually has one more power than I wanted.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 04:03 PM

foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby!

Whoa, it's exciting to see all the hype occur in the short amount of time I was busy.

On the whole complexity creep thing, I want to voice my concern as well. I think one of heroscape's strengths as a game is that game pieces are so easy to understand. As someone who's primary hobby is card games let me tell you that it is often a luxury.

Complexity is something that can catch people off guard. I think game designers are particularly susceptible to it because when you're very familiar with games it can be hard to notice when something has become unapproachable. It's also not something that becomes a major issue until it's been happening for a while.

Honestly I think a good number of the new units have too many abilities. I didn't really notice it until I had a second look and asked myself "what am I supposed to use this unit for?" and "what would a new player think looking at this?" I looked past a lot of the abilities because my familiarity made them not stand out.

I'm going to be real the current way the units are is a monumental increase in complexity from the original heroscape. They do look fun to play, but I would not feel comfortable handing these to new players like I do with the old stuff.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 04:32 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
How many C3V units have you played? It's a bold claim you're making here based on "examining."
I admit, only a few. (Marro Gnids, those snow Microcorp dude guys in white, and the future-istic Marro guys whose names escapes me at the moment.) I actually tried searching for C3V units to buy a couple years back for fun, but a large amount are very expensive/difficult to find, and I flat out hate proxies, so I gave up. Plus like I said, a large number just feel too under priced, albeit not by a ton of points per unit IMO. I think It's not like the project is a total waste, some units seem super fun (like the Marro Gnids, who are very balanced I'd argue, and one of the few units i've used numerous times in games.)

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old March 3rd, 2024, 04:34 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I personally feel the Master of Tides has too many powers. This is what I mean by design discipline. I would pick one of those abilities and pitch it. At some point, the clutter works against you and the card is not easily decoded.
While I'm SUPER excited to use Ewashia (with the Microcorps baby! Say hi to water on height!!) I can see where some folks are coming from, and I would have been cool with ditching the Beast binding thing. Her other powers are great, although she is a unit I feel seems a tad bit under priced for what she can do. Feels more like a 125-130 pt unit tbh

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old March 3rd, 2024, 04:47 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Quote:
How many C3V units have you played? It's a bold claim you're making here based on "examining."
I admit, only a few. (Marro Gnids, those snow Microcorp dude guys in white, and the future-istic Marro guys whose names escapes me at the moment.) I actually tried searching for C3V units to buy a couple years back for fun, but a large amount are very expensive/difficult to find, and I flat out hate proxies, so I gave up. Plus like I said, a large number just feel too under priced, albeit not by a ton of points per unit IMO. I think It's not like the project is a total waste, some units seem super fun (like the Marro Gnids, who are very balanced I'd argue, and one of the few units i've used numerous times in games.)
So you've played a total of three units and one of them you'd argue is very balanced, but you'd also argue that you've examined all of the library and they're all 15-20 points undercosted? Heh.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 3rd, 2024, 06:08 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think this version of Ewashia is a bit choked full, I prefer how we did it at NGC but this one works just as well.

As far as complexity... I'm honestly glad to see more of it. I get really bored, especially if there is more than 2 players in a heroscape game because I feel like there is nothing to do. Especially if I fall behind. There are just so few options and such little player agency while I am sitting at the table to play a game of classic.

A little more complexity is something I would have wanted but I guess that's why I'm playing c3g now and classic games have dropped from 20ish a month to 1 or 2. Seems that the 'right' way for classic to be is barebones, highly restrictive, and rolling as few dice as possible lol. That's definitely an experience but not a very exciting one for me.

Edit: Also I'm going to add that comparing putting wound markers on a base, or next to a unit to a dexterity game is a hoot lol. Gotta play some competitive street fighter II turbo edition and then we can talk about what dexterity looks like. I understand the preference but it is by no means an act of dexterity. I've put wounds next to uncommon figures myself before when I didn't have the 'official stickers' that are supposed to be used. This is just an echo chambery space, those of us that have different wants or preferences generally don't talk because we very much feel like we just shouldn't be playing the game anymore.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 06:22 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
More complexity =/= more power. Now if you're worried about complexity creep, that's something else.
Very true. I've seen some one power cards that were insanely hard to process...and I've seen four powered cards that were pretty simple designs.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 06:57 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I cheated a little, but those early cards were all dead simple if I recall correctly.

One of the reasons my AotP cards collect dust is the spell cards add complexity but not tactical interest.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News