Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old January 20th, 2014, 02:10 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!
Make your own foam core hexes: Tutorial.

Hey-O!

I felt like trying a new project and since I had a piece of foam core lying around I thought I would try to make my own heroscape hex. Now, I have only done one so far but I thought I would post it here along with a tutorial that follows. Enjoy!

Step 1:
Okay, so for your first step you are going to get some foam core (you can find this at Walmart, Target or any other supplies store).

Step 2:
For your second step you are going to grab any single hex piece of terrain (grass, rock, sand etc.). Then, you are going to trace around the entire hex with a pencil and you also want to try to get all of the little corners and edges.

Step 3:
(Now, you are probably going to need an X-Acto blade for this process but since I didn't have one I improvised and used a razor blade.) In this step you are going to cut carefully around the hex making sure to include all sides in the process.
Annnd you should get something like this as a result:

Step 4:
In this step all you are doing is cleaning up the edges of the hex and making sure that it fits in nicely with other hexes. When it does, then you know your on the right track.

Step 5:
At this point the choice is yours as to what to do with your hex. You could make it into a sand hex, a grass hex, a rock hex etc. Personally, I wanted to make mine into a water hex so if that was your goal, then your in luck . All I did in this process is paint the top of the hex blue (if you are making a water hex you should scrape some of the foam core off the bottom so it fits well). However, you do not want to paint the sides, painting the sides of the hex result in it not fitting right.

Step 6:
After you have your hex made you can do whatever (as I said above). Since I made mine a water hex all I did was clean it up a little and added some details. Here are some pictures of my final result:

Well, that about wraps up my tutorial, I hope you all enjoy making yours (if you decide to.) Happy 'Scaping!
-NS

Last edited by Ninja Status; January 21st, 2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old January 20th, 2014, 08:26 PM

G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Make your own foam core hexes: Tutorial.

I thought it was pretty good, never occurred to me to try to make foam board tiles, I think using something a little stronger than glue to make the pieces perhaps more solid? I know this is kind of a redundant tip but it helps me, if you use a metal ruler with the X-Actos, it gives much better stright lines.

Very interesting read and tutorial, haven't seen anything like cutting the pieces out of foam board, on the forums before

Last edited by G1shark; January 20th, 2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:25 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Very cool Ninja Status, though it does seem pretty time consuming. If you could find a way to fabricate a 'punch' then you'd really be in business.

-insert signature here-
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:17 AM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Very cool Ninja Status, though it does seem pretty time consuming. If you could find a way to fabricate a 'punch' then you'd really be in business.
Thanks nyys, however this only took me 20 mins, I do see your point. I'll make some more hexes soon.
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:56 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
That was what I was thinking. A cookie cutter for hexes.

Cool NS. How thick is the hex? It looks like water tile thickness.
I tried to make hexes out of thicker foam but with smooth edges. They did not turn out very good.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:05 PM
...Something unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Quote:
That was what I was thinking. A cookie cutter for hexes.

I tried to make hexes out of thicker foam but with smooth edges. They did not turn out very good.
Since I was making water I peeled off some of the foam core so it would fit right. If you want to make normal hexes (ie. grass, rock, sand) I would just leave the foam core how it is. I'll make some grass ones next and see how they turn out.
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:18 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Check out El Diabolo's thread for full maps.

This is a neat way for individual hexes.
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:23 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post

Link?
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:26 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post

Link?
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=48865
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:22 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
Quote:
Since I was making water I peeled off some of the foam core so it would fit right. If you want to make normal hexes (ie. grass, rock, sand) I would just leave the foam core how it is.
Looks like you left that important part out of your tutorial...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status' tutorial (emphasis added)
I wanted to make mine into a water hex so if that was your goal, then your in luck . All I did in this process is paint the top of the hex blue.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:47 PM
...Something unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
Quote:
Since I was making water I peeled off some of the foam core so it would fit right. If you want to make normal hexes (ie. grass, rock, sand) I would just leave the foam core how it is.
Looks like you left that important part out of your tutorial...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status' tutorial (emphasis added)
I wanted to make mine into a water hex so if that was your goal, then your in luck . All I did in this process is paint the top of the hex blue.
Thanks Jim, added that part.
Old January 21st, 2014, 08:04 PM
...Something unique

Here is my grass hex. If you guys want to make this one just follow the tutorial for the water hex but don't peel off the foam core that was instructed. Hope you enjoy

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles