Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Sertorius is surprisingly tart
Thumbs up Re: Sertorius & Typhon2222's Customs—new versions posted Jul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Ibixian Ridge Raiders

My initial impression is that these guys are a tad weak for the points. They are a bonding melee squad of three with slow speed and only 2/3 with a potential +1 attack. Compare them to the Knights at only 5pts higher, who are similar except for 3/4 stats (also able to get +1 attack with Finn) and a 4th figure. Before you counter this argument saying that Knights are A-ranked figures, I haven't mentioned Sir Gilbert. Prior to his release they were in the B range; Gilbert gave them the movement boost they needed to compete. Another good comparison is the Armoc Vipers, who are naturally 3/3 with higher movement and no adjacency or closeness restrictions.

The wildcard to this analysis, though, is Surefooted. It's difficult for me to get a real grasp on how valuable this power is, though obviously more so on a very hilly map. Actually, on a lot of tournament-usage maps it will be similar to flying; rolling hills are fairly common. So yes, a useful ability to be sure. Still, I see the Armocs as a better value for the point cost. I would suggest 55pts, as a rough guess without playtesting.
We belatedly agree. These guys will probably get a drop to 60 or 55 pts.

Quote:
As a very minor opinion, I'd rather see a standard personality like Wild instead of Bestial. Giving them a common personality raises their chances of having future synergies (even negative synergies like Attack the Wild). I recommend it unless you are specifically trying to avoid potential synergies.
Agree here too. I originally had hopes for a larger faction expansion under the "Bestial" personality, but we went a different way with it. Changing them to Wild.

Quote:
Herd Chief Baabas

In terms of knockback ability, this guy makes Shurrak look like a chump. Not only is it a much higher chance of doing Knockback (8 instead of 14), but he hits more potential figures with his special attack (6 instead of 3). It's also more likely the figures survive to get knocked with attack 3 vs attack 5. A knockback master is cool and fun, but it scares me quite a bit. It's very map-dependent, but Knockback can do some crazy-powerful things. On a lava map, Baabas is an 8+ away from instant-killing any medium Hero. That shames terrors like Braxas, Grimnak, and Sudema. On a hilly map he's a 50/50 shot at killing any squad unit even if the attack fails. Heck, even knocking melee units across a river can effectively take them out of a fight.
What if we renamed the power, dropped Shurrak's stupid wording problems, and limited it to affect only common figures? Still an 8 roll. We could also reduce the knock range from 3 spaces to 2. This doesn't eliminate the scariness, but maybe mitigates it somewhat?

Quote:
I don't really like the "non-Ibixians" wording in Hammer Smash Special Attack. It's clear but it feels unofficial. Adding the line "Hammer Smash Special Attack does not affect Ibixians adjacent to the target figure." would be more official. Or, if you wanted to get creative, "Hammer Smash Special Attack does not affect figures with the Surefooted special power adjacent to the target."
I like the latter (their surefootedness makes them non-knockbackable. :P It is more text on an already-crowded card, but c'est dommage!

Quote:
He seems slow. Surefooted makes up for some of that, but on flat maps he's going to have a hard time getting around. Movement 5 could make a big difference here, and I wouldn't even suggest upping his points.
I'm not sure about this one. He's a giant goat with a very large hammer, so slow is his game. If you pick him on a flat arena map, you have to cope with his slowness! Maybe his slowness helps to mitigate the power of Hammer Smash, as well? Heroes can't be Smashed into the lava if you can't catch them!

Quote:
I'm not keen on Powerful, but it's fine. Making him Wild would give him an additional bonding option with the Death Chasers.
Yes. Done.

Quote:
I think as they are, this group could crush other melee groups on a mountainous map, mostly thanks to Baabas's Knockback. On a mostly flat map I think they are overpriced. Which is maybe what you're going for. Against range I don't think they'll survive long, though some interesting cross-synergy with Arrow Gruts might come in handy for that.
I think we do intend this. If the map is mountainous, you should automatically think of the Goatmen. If it is a flat arena, these aren't your first choice. The same way you don't consider the Quasatch (if you ever do) on a map without Junge, or the Dzu-Teh on a map without glaciers. They are a very map-specific, thematic faction, and I think I'm okay with that.

Very belated thanks for the revision comments!
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:13 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Sertorius & Typhon2222's Customs—new versions posted Jul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sertorius View Post
Quote:
Herd Chief Baabas

In terms of knockback ability, this guy makes Shurrak look like a chump. Not only is it a much higher chance of doing Knockback (8 instead of 14), but he hits more potential figures with his special attack (6 instead of 3). It's also more likely the figures survive to get knocked with attack 3 vs attack 5. A knockback master is cool and fun, but it scares me quite a bit. It's very map-dependent, but Knockback can do some crazy-powerful things. On a lava map, Baabas is an 8+ away from instant-killing any medium Hero. That shames terrors like Braxas, Grimnak, and Sudema. On a hilly map he's a 50/50 shot at killing any squad unit even if the attack fails. Heck, even knocking melee units across a river can effectively take them out of a fight.
What if we renamed the power, dropped Shurrak's stupid wording problems, and limited it to affect only common figures? Still an 8 roll. We could also reduce the knock range from 3 spaces to 2. This doesn't eliminate the scariness, but maybe mitigates it somewhat?
Or you could make it so that knocking a hero back requires a roll of 16 or 17 or somesuch number. That would be like Braxas.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Making it only affect Common figures does mitigate it somewhat. At least it takes out the possibility of a cheap lava kill on a hero (or simply knocking it off a cliff and effectively out of the fight). Still, as this army is most likely to be played on hilly maps, the potential for knocking figures off of cliffs is rather high.

Be sure to playtest on very hilly maps against mass melee commons.
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:55 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Or you could make it so that knocking a hero back requires a roll of 16 or 17 or somesuch number. That would be like Braxas.
Huh, that's an interesting idea....
Old November 12th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Making it only affect Common figures does mitigate it somewhat. At least it takes out the possibility of a cheap lava kill on a hero (or simply knocking it off a cliff and effectively out of the fight). Still, as this army is most likely to be played on hilly maps, the potential for knocking figures off of cliffs is rather high.

Be sure to playtest on very hilly maps against mass melee commons.
I take your point Scy, though I also realize that what you're describing is the extreme best-case match-up for Baabas. The situation will seldom come up in our games, because we rarely play on maps with cliffs high enough to make falling damage a possibility. The same holds for most tourney maps. And if people ARE playing on extremely hilly maps with lots of cliffs -- well, then choosing mass common walking armies may not be a good idea anyway. That's when people would/could gravitate towards flyers, for whom being knocked back is merely a hiccup.
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM

Sertorius is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:

I like that option, but here's the problem: the card's text is already a veritable War and Peace. Splitting the dice roll up for commons and heroes would require another 2-3 lines of text!
Old November 12th, 2011, 06:59 PM

Re: Sertorius & Typhon2222's Customs — Predators posted Oct.

Here we go! New versions of the Ibixian Ridge Raiders and Herd Chief Baabas. Thanks to Scytale, Strack9, and capsocrates for the help.

HERD CHIEF BAABAS
Champion of Baphomet (D&D Dungeons of Dread) / single hex if trimmed

IBIXIAN RIDGE RAIDERS
Ibixian (D&D Deathknell)
Old November 13th, 2011, 03:17 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I like that option, but here's the problem: the card's text is already a veritable War and Peace. Splitting the dice roll up for commons and heroes would require another 2-3 lines of text!
I know what you mean. I have the same problem with my K'Vir Brothers custom right now.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:22 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

This is not close to complete bt everything that I have not reviewed I will put in a spoiler. This will be a continous project for me I promise. So far I like what I see.

Quote:
Introducing the Predator faction. We've created a common squad (the Ticalla Centipedes) and a bunch of heroes to complement the Fyorlag Spiders/Wyvern/Sujoah. Mantises and Owlbears and Worms, oh my! Nature red in tooth and claw. Jungle fun for everyone.

TICALLA CENTIPEDES
Giant Centipede (D&D Dungeons of Dread)

TICALLA MANTIS
Fiendish Giant Praying Mantis (D&D Aberrations)

OWLBEAR BRAWLER
Owlbear Rager (D&D Blood War) / single hex if trimmed

DEVOURER WORM
Great Worm (Reaper Legendary Encounters)

WYVERN WHELP
Wyvern (D&D Dungeons of Dread) / single hex if trimmed
Looks good!!!
Quote:

The Slaad hail from Limbo, an outer plane of existence, and are essentially physical manifestations of the swirling chaos of Limbo.

BLACK SLAAD STALKER
Black Slaad (D&D Savage Encounters) / single hex if trimmed

GRAY SLAAD SORCERERS
Gray Slaad (D&D Savage Encounters)

BLUE SLAAD HUNTERS
Chraal (D&D Angelfire)

BLUE SLAAD RAVAGER
Blue Slaad (D&D Giants of Legend)

DESIGN NOTES:
Spoiler Alert!

Gray Slad Sorcerers: For Chaotic Sorcery, Whenever you roll you are automaticly garenteed a range of 4. So instead, what about:

Before moving, roll the 20-sided die:

If you roll a 1-10, add 0 to the range value of this card.

If you roll a 11-15, add 3 to the range value of this card.

If you roll a 16-18, add 5 to the range value of this card.

If you roll a 19-20 add 7 to the range value of this card.

Blue Slaad Hunters: The following version of Chaotic Rage is a bit more official (I think):

After moving and before attacking you must roll the 20-sided die:

If you roll a 1-5, the Blue Slaad Hunters may not attack this turn.

If you roll a 6-10, the Blue Slaad Hunters may attack normally.

If you roll a 11-15, the Blue Slaad Hunters may attack one additional time.

If you roll a 16-20, the Blue Slaad Hunters may attack two additional times.
Quote:

Heed the arrival of the Knossian Minotaurs! Hailing from the sea-swept cliffs and shaded porticoes of Knossos, Crete, these half-men, half-bull warriors range from the refined and graceful Labryds to the ferocious, half-wild Brute. The smaller but powerfully-built Chargers, and Meinos, the mighty minotaur Lord of Knossos, round out the group.

MEINOS
Goristro (D&D Legendary Evils) / double hex if trimmed

KNOSSIAN BRUTE
Feral Minotaur (D&D Angelfire)

KNOSSIAN LABRYDS
Savage Minotaur (D&D Savage Encounters) / single hex if trimmed

KNOSSIAN CHARGERS
Minotaur Wrangler (D&D Lords of Madness)

DESIGN NOTES:
Spoiler Alert!

Meinos: For Savage Toss Special Attack take out the words, "First..." and "...as a target...".

Still have the other three to review.

Spoiler Alert!

Old December 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM

Yay! Shameless self-plug here.

Five days ago Tom Vasel released a video in which he lauds his top 5 games of all time. 'Scape is #2 on his list, and he begins discussing it at exactly 8:00 minutes in.

Among other things, he praises the customs makers on Heroscapers.com for keeping the game alive and well.

Why am I so excited? As his camera pans over his huge figures sitting atop his collection, it passes over our Murkwood (8:21) and, near the end of the row, Aldwood (8:25).

Then the camera drifts lower, over his pull-out organizing drawers labelled alphabetically with his 'Scape units, and passes over three more of our customs! You can see the drawer labelled for our Stump Warriors (8:30) and Sylvan Stalkers (8:31); and then a bit lower, our Zhentarim Soldiers (8:35).

He got our entire Ent faction.
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

That's how you know that your stuff is good.
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:41 AM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Yay! Shameless self-plug here.

Five days ago Tom Vasel released a video in which he lauds his top 5 games of all time. 'Scape is #2 on his list, and he begins discussing it at exactly 8:00 minutes in.

Among other things, he praises the customs makers on Heroscapers.com for keeping the game alive and well.

Why am I so excited? As his camera pans over his huge figures sitting atop his collection, it passes over our Murkwood (8:21) and, near the end of the row, Aldwood (8:25).

Then the camera drifts lower, over his pull-out organizing drawers labelled alphabetically with his 'Scape units, and passes over three more of our customs! You can see the drawer labelled for our Stump Warriors (8:30) and Sylvan Stalkers (8:31); and then a bit lower, our Zhentarim Soldiers (8:35).

He got our entire Ent faction.
Awesome! Congrats.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards