Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 7th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
The evening was pretty exciting to me because it is the first semblance of a potential local gaming opportunity. We'll see how it progresses.
So G-O seems to wonder if he's considered chopped liver.
I meant local as in "less than a 45 minute drive." . I really liked the place in Frederick, and I plan to head back, but it is nice to be able to stop by somewhere after work to play a few games less than five minutes from home (unless, of course, you can play games at work, which is the coolest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Dungeonquest [...] I died early on and then watched the others get punished for 10 more minutes until they were trapped and died in the dungeon.
The game lasted 10 minutes? Wow.

I can't remember the last time I heard of that game going on so long.
It was a teaching game, so some of that time was spent explaining stuff. I died in 4 moves.
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The evening was pretty exciting to me because it is the first semblance of a potential local gaming opportunity. We'll see how it progresses.
So G-O seems to wonder if he's considered chopped liver.
I meant local as in "less than a 45 minute drive." . I really liked the place in Frederick, and I plan to head back, but it is nice to be able to stop by somewhere after work to play a few games less than five minutes from home (unless, of course, you can play games at work, which is the coolest).
Nice save! Are you considering a career in politics?

Speaking of work, we were slaughtered in another game of Ghost Stories in "normal" mode. Very humbling game after our win yesterday in Initiate mode.

Due to the fast loss, we were able to set up Star Trek: Fleet Captains for tomorrow. Stephen Universe is a Trekkie, so this should be fun.
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:02 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
The attic/basement can be added to the Flash Point base game, but you will probably have to put the staircase in an odd position on the original board. Really fun once your kids get over the loss of POIs. Our hurdle was the pets. My daughter would do everything to save the pets, people be damned. She wouldn't want to keep playing if one of the pets was lost. She is fine now, but at 6, she was a bit irrational about it. Kids.
Cool, I will try to find the rules & a picture of the stairs, I am assuming it is a token also. By the looks I will also need a larger die (board isn't in front of me but from memory it was a D12).

Anyway I convinced the boys to try Flash Point again. Same map same level (recruit) & rescued 7 victims & lost only 1. I suggested we continue to try & save the other 2 but the eldest turned the POIs over saw they were the last 2, picked them off the map & said there's no use, Spider-man just swung in & saved the rest.

This time round it was much easier because the POIs kept spawning in relatively the same area. Especially when the fire was on every space in the kitchen & we had to keep rolling when a POI roll would lead to one of them spaces. It didn't make for an exciting game for me, but the boys seemed to like that we could easily complete it this time. Well at least they will be willing to play again.

Quote:
Quote:
We followed this with two games of 7 Wonders, followed by a game of Legendary Encounters. I own 7 Wonders, but I'd only played it twice before. I really enjoy this, and I wish I had the opportunity to play it more often. I like the drafting mechanic a lot.
I like 7 Wonders a good bit. I don't own it because so many in my group do, so it's one of those games we often play when we have 7 people not involved in a game and want to get a relatively quick game in. Actually one guy jokes that it's in our groups bylaws that we play with 7 people when they aren't otherwise occupied.
I have played 7 Wonders once & found it so-so. I don't know what it was about it, but I just didn't really get into it that much. I won't go out of my way to play it again but I won't not play it if others are wanting to play.
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Due to the fast loss, we were able to set up Star Trek: Fleet Captains for tomorrow. Stephen Universe is a Trekkie, so this should be fun.
Fleet Captains is one of my favorite games. I play it with @chas and @Shermandavies.

Old January 7th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Got a few quick games of Pairs in with my daughters before we continued our fun with the Cars 2 videogame for Xbox 360 (we just love that game).

Anyway, we played 2 of the Pairs game with the Venture variant and my one daughter, Morgan, won both of them. Then we played one game with the basic rules and I lost that won, since there is only one loser and the rest win. In the past we played a variant of that even where we play the number of rounds that there are players (3 in our case) and then add up the scores after all three games to find one true winner. This is a very light card game that you can play a single game of in less than 10 minutes or several games of in a half-hour.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 8th, 2015, 01:37 AM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Question for those who have played Warfighter. I'm looking at getting the game. How necessary/good are the expansions?

Thanks!
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Question for those who have played Warfighter. I'm looking at getting the game. How necessary/good are the expansions?

Thanks!
Well I have the first two expansions and will get the third one sometime.

The base set is great as is really. But what you get in the expansions gives you more variety.

For example: you get 16 soldiers to choose from in the base set and each expansion gives you 7 or 8 more soldiers to choose from. There are 3 types of soldiers, Player Soldiers, NPS (Non-Player Soldiers) and Squad Soldiers. So the distribution of soldier cards is a mix of those. Player Soldiers are the ones that allow you to draw and use action cards and you definitely will need at the very least one of them in any given game. The NPS solider comes with a pre-determined loadout of equipment but you don't get to draw cards for them and the Squad Soldiers are more generic types, but never run out of ammo. Both the NPS and Squad Soldiers usually only have 2-4 lives, whereas Player Soldiers have 5-7 health.

You will get a few more weapons to choose from in each expansion. A couple may be repeats of the base set, but there will be mostly totally new types of weapons. Same goes for other equipment. There are some things you can add-on to your rifle like the ACOG Sight and you get one of those in the base set, but another in the first expansion. But there are things like the Red Dot sight, forward grip, dual magazine, suppressor, scope etc. that come in the expansions. But even if there is only 1 of something in the base set and you want another soldier to have it to, you can make a copy of it or proxy it no problem.

There are also skill cards you can spend your points on for player soldiers, and each expansion gives more of them to choose from.

There are Action cards that you will draw and use throughout the game to either break normal rules or help you do certain things. The expansions add more variety of those.

There are 3 types of hostiles, so 3 different theaters of missions so to speak. Jungle Drug Cartel (easiest), Middle-East Insurgents (harder) and Middle-East Military (hardest). The base set gives you 27 hostile cards for each type and the expansions each give 4 more. So more variety.

There are location cards also that you will draw from that are mixed in with your action cards and you must play these to move along on your way to the objective. There are 14 Jungle and 14 Middle-East in the base set, with the expansions offering 1 more of each.

There are mission cards that tell you the loadout points you can have and the length of the mission etc. and there are 3 Jungle and 4 Middle East in the base set. Each expansion offers 1 more of each.

There are objective cards which go hand in hand with the mission ones, but they tell you what you will need to accomplish and perhaps what equipment you may need. There are 3 Jungle and 4 Middle East in the base set and 1 more of each in each expansion.

Each mission card can have a different objective so the base set gives you like 9 variations for the Jungle cartel and 16 variations for the Middle East stuff. So the expansions add to that.

If you do a campaign, you start with the lowest points mission card and work your way up and then you randomly select an objective card and then you play one set and then move on etc. So the base set will only allow for a 3 mission jungle campaign and 4 mission middle east campaign. With the expansions, each one adds 1 more mission/objective to the campaign. So for example, I just finished a 5 mission jungle campaign, I have 5 available for this because of the 3 from base plus 1 from each expansion I have.

That all said, there is a ton of replayability in this, with even the base set because you can have all kinds of variety in what soldiers, weapons and equipment you choose at the start. As well as the way things play out during the game are different each time.

Hope that helps some.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:22 AM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thank you, Hahma! That helps a lot.
Old January 8th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Happy New Year (several days late)!

For the two of you who care, here is what the Mmirg Household played in December:

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
8 - a family mini-tourney on my birthday put Scape back on top
Spot it! 7 - simple, addictive party/group game
Kings in the Corner 6 - meh
Ninja Dice 6 - cute, not amazing, but good
Hive 5 - oops, we only have Pocket--these should all be listed together--that means Hive beat out Scape--oh, well, it's not worth going back and reentering these
Hive Pocket 5 - great 2-player game
Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus 5 - still a favorite in the very light, family category
Tapple 5 - great party/family game
Flash Point: Fire Rescue 4 - the star of Christmas--got it for Christmas this year (finally) and it saw 4 plays within a week--forgot how much I liked this; glad my son asked for it
Good Cop Bad Cop 3 - still enjoying this little group/deductive game
Monopoly: Pokémon 3 - ah, well, the kids have their predilections
Outside the Scope of BGG 3 - this is the Batman v. Joker Throwdown; couldn't find it on BGG; not much game here, sadly
Spoiler Alert!

My January entry will have more of our new Christmas favorites. Flash Point and Sheriff are the two we've played the most, but Istanbul and Among the Stars are excellent. Hoping to play AtS again tonight; we'll see.
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:06 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I am one of two? Woohoo! I call number one because I don't want to be number 2.

We started our first Star Trek: Fleet Captains at work with Stephen Universe's Federation fleet of Defiant, Prometheus, and Reliant vs. my Klingon fleet of Ch'Tang, Gr'oth, Kronos One, and Korinar. Both mission decks are surprisingly equal with 3 science, 4 influence, and 3 combat. After a few rounds I have completed an exploration mission and an encounter for 3 VPs and SU has 1 VP from an encounter. He tried to attack my Kronos One (dirty Federation) with the Prometheus, but I was able to sacrifice a crew member to add 4 to my shield test and overcome his firepower then cloak and move away. Loving this game.
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:51 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Well, that's better than being Seven of Nine! Go Star Trek Fleet Captains!
Old January 9th, 2015, 03:38 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Well, that's better than being Seven of Nine! Go Star Trek Fleet Captains!
No, Jeri Ryan FTW!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games