Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
I played on this one at my most recent tourney (August) and a handful of times at home, and I think it deserves the scrutiny of the BoV panel.
Theres a few others I planned to nominate alongside that one from the same event. But Nyys beat me to it.

Torch By Rednax

Murky Waters by Panopticon

I'd also like to nominate these two from which made it to a few tournaments across the country this past NHSD.

Last edited by Darkmage7a; October 21st, 2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: There were a few others I'd like to nominate as well but they don't all ascribe to the BoV guidelines. :P
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Torch By Rednax - I love a good lava map and combined with castle walk for melee - Yes to review

Murky Waters by Panopticon - Reminds me a bit of Gamebear's Healing Waters - The hill just outside the start zone concerns me a bit but the road and LOS blockers may be able to help. - Yes to review

Violation by nyys - Too many choke points for my taste. Leaving melee to either skirt way around the edge or climb the lava. - No to review

Fire and Bone by Ronin Valentina - I'll have to build this one and take a good look at it before I decide. It looks to be range friendly at first glance though.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:32 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Fire and Bone by Ronin Valentina - I'll have to build this one and take a good look at it before I decide. It looks to be range friendly at first glance though.
I had a game on it at NHSD and it was possibly the most lopsided game I've ever played. I had the Krav Maga Agents and Loborocket had Monks, Anubians and Woo. Lobo managed only a single attack (which was unsuccessful) the whole game. Between the uneven ground and open space (and dice rolls that went my way) there was simply nothing he could do. The KMA was the only unit I activated.

Admittedly, Lobo's army was not the most competitive of builds (as three-figure melee squads without some defensive boost or other advantage tend not to be against multiple-attacking ranged units), however I think your assessment of "range-friendly" is fair. (Whether it's too range-friendly is a different question.)
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

When it rains it pours... guess we'll be busy.

-insert signature here-
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:19 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Trailblazer - Yes to review.

Shrine of Mo-Ne-Ca - I am interested to see if this works. Yes to review.

Dragon's Gultch by BiggaBullfrog - Yes to Review

Black Gold by Panopticon - Yes to Review

Hard Eight by dok - Same as MM, way too bland for my taste. No to Review
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:40 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
I had a game on it at NHSD and it was possibly the most lopsided game I've ever played. I had the Krav Maga Agents and Loborocket had Monks, Anubians and Woo. Lobo managed only a single attack (which was unsuccessful) the whole game. Between the uneven ground and open space (and dice rolls that went my way) there was simply nothing he could do. The KMA was the only unit I activated.

Admittedly, Lobo's army was not the most competitive of builds (as three-figure melee squads without some defensive boost or other advantage tend not to be against multiple-attacking ranged units), however I think your assessment of "range-friendly" is fair. (Whether it's too range-friendly is a different question.)
Sorry, hadn't heard about that encounter. I may have reconsidered my selection if I did. I hope that doesn't devalue the other nominations by association in any way. I tried to get a decent amount of feedback from anyone who played on the nominations, although perhaps not enough. The nominations still stand to be rejected or accepted as deemed by the judges.

As Nyys said
Quote:
Build a map you like, play it a handful of times. If you still like it, throw it out there. The worst that can happen is that it either doesn't get reviewed, or it does but doesn't get voted in... eh, who cares, you have fun playing on it right?
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:46 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Maps pending acceptance for review:

Black Gold by Panopticon

This looks like an excellent map. YES to review.

Torch by Rednax

The combination of lava, battlements, and water tile placement make this map very tight. Tactical maneuvers are limited due to the constrictive nature of the maps pathing. NO to review.

Murky Waters by Panopticon

This map is very similar to Gamebear's Healing Waters. I had issues about the gameplay and LOS blockers on that map and those hold true here. NO to review.

Violation by nyys

I have some concerns about the power glyph placement and the pathing on the edges of this map, but it otherwise looks great. YES to review.

Fire & Bone by Ronin Valentina

The footprint of this map appears too large for the number of LOS blockers it has to work with. The combination of lava and wide open spaces spell doom for melee versus ranged confrontations. NO to review.

Map currently being reviewed:

Glacial Overflow by FishTako

Glacial Overflow is a very nice looking map using the tundra and D&D mater set. The map gradually builds up toward the center and is dominated by the large glacier in the middle which is flanked by two hills. A glyph is placed in the shadow of each hill conferring an even stronger level of importance to the hill.

The map implements it's LOS blockers very well. Ranged units have a tough time extending their threat range over their melee counterparts. This makes for a balanced match between a large variety of common armies.

The shadow tiles are placed to protect units on the approach of the hills. Their positioning is well done with the exception of one hex. A shadow tile is placed directly next the the glyph on one side. This gives a marginal advantage to forces engaging enemy glyphs holders on that side. This is a minor quibble over otherwise well placed shadow tiles.

The map doesn't do double based figures any favors. The small footprint and large number of little shadow and ice pockets really become problematic for many of the double spaced walkers. A smart opponent and really inhibit the effectiveness of these units with careful planning. Additionally, the glyphs are only accessible to single hex units (an item I've overlooked on my own maps).

My biggest concern with the map is it's gameplay. The placements of the large glacier really breaks the map up. Movement around the glacier is quite the chore and flanking attacks are very slow in developing. Quick, surprise moves are few and far between when foot sloggin armies face off. Typical matches focus on one side of the glacier that has the best glyph. This leads to a match that gets congested and stagnant pretty quick.

I've had this same problem with my own maps. In a match a few years ago, the same thing played out on Dolin's Switchback. While there are good moves to be made here and there, the gameplay just isn't as interesting or exciting. This map has great polish and is a solid build, but I vote NO to induct it to the BoV.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Here's another map, if you don't have enough:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasQTip

NEW! Geothermal Battlefield

Nearly a mile beneath the surface, a large machine practically fills a sweltering magma chamber. Made from virtually indestructible materials, its constant metallic drone is all but drowned out by the sound of the bubbling molten lava and hot steaming tar.

Required Sets: Battle for the Underdark Master Set, Marvel: The Conflict Begins Master Set, and Volcarren Wasteland
Footprint: 35" x 30"

File contains THREE scenarios!

Last edited by MegaSilver; October 22nd, 2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Missing start zones.

-insert signature here-
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:10 PM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Missing start zones.
I've told him now on his thread.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:11 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks, MegaSilver.

@nyys: They are included in the build instructions. The second scenario was specifically designed to BoV complient. Give it a look. Thanks.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasQTip View Post
Thanks, MegaSilver.

@nyys: They are included in the build instructions. The second scenario was specifically designed to BoV complient. Give it a look. Thanks.
I think nyys meant in the map pic itself.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios