View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2021, 08:14 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

I'll toss in some reviews that won't rock anybody's world but here they are anyway:

Highways and Dieways
The granddaddy of great tournament maps. Sometimes I wish the center playing area had more than just level 2 and level 3 but both are quite well-used, as anybody who's played on H&D can attest. It's a little tricky for online play because of placement and LoS calls but it deserves a spot among the best.

Ticalla Sunrise
Also a classic, and a map that intrigues me every time I look at it and play on it. The pseudo-symmetry is really cool and the whole map sees play. Best of all, since I'm not a GenCon regular, I haven't had time to get tired of it just yet.

Fulcrum
Good map. I've found that as the quality of play increases, the map utilization increases as well. Rushing up the middle is obvious but good players can also exploit the water-dunk-onto-the-hill strategy to great effect. My biggest nitpick is the 3-hex height on the right side of the SZ, but maybe that's just from playing Tiamat's Incendiborgs there.

Bad Moon Rising
Dok has helped me to love this map (I agree it's underappreciated). For me this is THE map with two unconnected roads, but each side of the road is important to development and endgame play. Plus it looks great.

Stygian Rift
THE lava map. Definitely has solid theme execution. One solid part of this map is the few level 3 dungeon hexes that stop it from being OOPS! All lava field! as far as height goes. That height is far enough away from the center that it doesn't make for great Raelin/range perches, but still attackable from even ground and level 4 height. Overall an all-time classic.

Draugur
I sealed my one and only tournament win on this map so it's gotta be inducted for sure. But for real, this map is a winner in every respect except that weird level 1 spot where there's water next to ice next to shadow in three adjacent hexes. Reminds me a lot of Platypus which is also a well-deserved WoS inductee.

Dance of the Dryads
Lava/Road maps are, in my opinion, the platonic ideal of Heroscape maps. Lava provides (or can provide) dynamic height and decision making, and road gives instant pathing. This is the most economical Lava/Road map, and I personally love its aesthetics.