View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:37 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: C3G Book of Hellboy - Design Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollBrute View Post
Hellboy! I've been waiting on this one for a while; if you can't tell, I'm a little excited.

Secret Identity should be "Anung Un Rama".
I first thought that also, but then I read this site & it says that it doesn't exclusively refer to him.
Quote:
to Cavalier for presonality, very fitting. The other BPRD guys are Investigator, so I would go with that.
I thought that when I saw Liz posted but forgot when I posted this last night.
Quote:
Stats look solid, though I think his Defense could come down 1 or 2 and his Life could go up 1 or 2. He's tough, but he's not very good at avoiding attacks, just able to take a bruising and keep going.

Right Hand of Doom is great. Perfectly fitting for HB. Wording tweak:

RIGHT HAND OF DOOM
When Hellboy attacks an adjacent Creature, Undead, Demon, Lycanthrope or huge sized figure with his normal attack, you may roll 2 additional attack dice.

I'm not very big on the SA. I don't get the theme of the D20 roll, and I can't see myself ever choosing it over his normal attack if I have a 40% chance of ending my turn and a 35% chance of only 2 dice. Also, Hellboy does use a gun on occasion (and both mini options have him wielding a revolver), but the gun has never been referred to as the Good Samaritan in the comics, only the movie. HB is a terrible shot and he usually ends up discarding his guns as soon as the fight starts.
That's why it was a D20 roll in SA & not his normal attack. It's only as a ranged option that doesn't always work (end your turn) or he is not very good with (low rolls), but on occasions fluked a shot (gives a wound). You aren't supposed to choose this over his normal attack. Like the comics you are supposed to shot at them while they are at range & then smash the crap out of them when you get next to them.

As for the name, sure in the comics it's just an oversized revolver, but I preferred The Good Samaritan Special Attack to Oversized Revolver Special Attack.
Quote:
If we're going to represent the gun I'd rather give him a normal range of 4, attack of 3 and change Right Hand of Doom to this:

RIGHT HAND OF DOOM
Hellboy rolls 3 additional attack dice when attacking an adjacent figure with his normal attack or 5 additional dice if the defending figure is a Creature, Undead, Demon, Lycanthrope or huge sized figure.
As per above I would prefer not to make the gun his normal attack.
Quote:
This would also allow us to add in a minor anti-Magical Defense power. He fights a lot of magic users during his time. I mean, some of his biggest enemies are Rasputin, the Baba Yaga, and Nimue, the Queen of Blood, all of whom use magic.

Healing Factor isn't a bad fit, as he does heal faster than a human would, but it's not a great fit either, as he doesn't really heal during a fight. For a defensive power, something mechanically similar to Magical Defense, Impenetrable Skin or Undead Resilience would be much more fitting. Hellboy carries a bunch of magical tokens and talismans around in his coat that keep him protected.
Yeah, he does have a lot of defense against magic but I don't think Magical Defense fits him. As far as healing goes though, he has been shot & stabbed & his body always healed not long after. Sure it's not Healing Factor X.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, please tell me we can use a Mike Mignola drawing for the comic card here? I know we try to avoid overly stylized art, but nobody captures HB better than Mignola.
That's a big call. To me, apart from being so stylised & artsy, his pics are a little bland in detail & colour. But hey I don't use the comic cards anyway so find your best pic of his & I will put it in the third post for the others to see.