View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2021, 05:34 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

I'll also vote on the Crypt now, having played it several times before and just a few weeks ago in OHS:

This map uses battlements and walls in the center of the map to limit LoS and direct development. Some maps easily turn into a shooting gallery where the high points have LoS everywhere. This is not one of those maps.

Focusing on the level 4 spots for a second, you can see that their LoS is extremely limited. They can see the spaces directly adjacent to them and the rest of the central 7-hex, and then a few spaces on each side, including about 3 level 1 road spaces. This leaves several spots within a 5-move radius of the high ground that are both completely safe from that high ground AND able to attack the high ground next turn (the back 4 road hexes and 2 spaces just beyond the level 3 stone single hex).

Combine that with the fact that it's a bit tricky to even reach the high ground when there's some figures already developed, and most games I've played on this map ignore the center region for most of the game.

That leaves the level 3s as the focal points of the map, and it just plays a little tight and flat. There's battlements and pillars to block movement, the road is a bit windy to be useful, and 95% of the battle takes place on levels 2 and 3, rendering this map basically a 2-level affair rather than the 4-level affair it purports to be on paper.

My concerns are slightly overstated here, I think The Crypt is a fine map (and it's certainly evocative). But I'm going to give it my first WoS