View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:47 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Summertime Custom Competition Poll - Vote by July 9

I guess I'll share some thoughts. One of these is mine, just fyi.

Not sure if any of these Monks were designed with Master Lao in mind, but I considered them without him. Not sure it would change much either way.

Daren
Daren is kinda cool. Not sure if the name has any meaning here. The "Aspect Trilogy" is a neat idea, although I'm again not sure if these are real techniques or just made up. I also wish that the third Aspect was also "Aspect of the ___" to complete the parallelism. 8 Life seems like too much here, especially with 5 defense. Combining Aspect of Carnage with Aspect of the Tiger can get pretty powerful. I also would like to see the design interact more with Tanuki mythology if you're calling it a Tanuki.

Drunk Firefox
I'm unsure if this is related to Mozilla in any way. It looks interesting, although I think that 6L/4D is too tanky for this unit (similar to Daren). One Last for the Road! is a cool power, and could get really insane with 5 attack dice.

Koji-Danuki
Definitely super thematic, and a cool shapeshift power here (which fits with the myths). In general, though, I think this card is a bit complex. You've got a shapeshift power which can remove destructible objects, terrain pieces (does that include tiles?), and even friendly figures, you've got a 3-option buff, and you've got an odd 'X' order marker power that takes a whole lot of mechanics for just a little theme imo. Symbol of Prosperity 5 is cool, although I'm not generally a fan of altered point costs/draft restrictions as special powers.

Tanuki Nomad
I wish this guy had a proper name, being a Unique Hero. That said, I think this is one of the more successful designs in the contest. It's probably overpriced a little, as the OM screwiness which is his main draw only comes into play when he's up in the battle. With 2 life and 2 defense, he'll die from range way too fast.

Tanuki Trickster
I'm unsure if there's a reasoning behind making this guy Uncommon. Mischievous Switch looks like fun, and choosing when to use Sake Flask could lead to some interesting gameplay choices. I do wonder if this card is just a little overcomplicated. Also, how do you have a Trickster without making his personality Tricky?

Yamabushi Kenza
Another one of my favorites from this contest as it hits the three points I found in my research (Mischief, Shapeshifting, Sake). It goes for streamlined versions of all three, which is a plus and a minus, in my book. With the shapeshifting power only able to be used once, I wonder if it's really worth it in-game. Hero-to-hero bonding isn't my favorite, especially broad/open-ended bonding. That said, still a pretty good execution. Not sure if it's worth 140, but who knows. Ullar is a good choice here, although not the obvious one.

Yokai
Oh no, this one is evil! Interesting to give him Reach with the staff. I think it works, but I don't think it works well with Double Attack also on the card. He'd have to go full extension to reach 2 spaces, which wouldn't allow the quickness to attack twice. Tanuki Facade is subtly different than Facade from Cormin the Dark (the only difference here is that you can switch with opponent's figures). Not sure he'd be 100 points, but Tanuki Facade could be powerful. All in all a cool design although there's a theme miss or two for me.