Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Which Master Set do you like the best?
Rise of the Valkyrie (1st one) 564 89.52%
Swarm of the Marro (2nd one) 66 10.48%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What makes a good master set? By request from WotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
I like it. Personally I can't wait for the next Master Set which should have an undead army that Cyprien's bio talks about. An army of more vampires, skeletons, and other horrors would be awesome! It also would allow for some neat looking terrain options with crypts (like what many people have talked about), tombs, and such. Perhaps some cursed ground with a green/black color. It would have a "mist" ability in that range would be lessoned in it or something to simulate the erie mist that would hover above the cursed land. Visually it seems awesome. Not sure if they'd do it or not.
Now this I could get on board with...an undead master set with warrior priests as their opponenets.....That would be absolutely awesome!!!!!!
I was thinking since this was on Feylund,An Undead Master set,that pits Elf Wizards against undead forces.
I would buy like 19 of those!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yup. I buy them for the terrain mostly. Now that we're 8 waves into this thing and counting, I have so many figures that I feel bad for some of them that collect dust. (Though to be honest, I feel buyer's remorse for purchasing figures I never play.)

Like telling people to vote, I have to give my opinion here so at least I can say I did my part in the feedback process.

For the third master set, I think WotC would positively crush all previous $ale$ numbers if they pulled off a successful modular "Cityscape" model. Imagine several 4-sided buildings with hinges in the corners so you had the option of making them several sizes. The base would be shaped similar to the RotV ruins. You could even attach several of them together to make larger buildings, or stack the smaller ones on the bigger ones to make multi-story exterior-only buildings. You could straighted them out to make one long main street. Some may have built-on ladders (fire escapes) or front stoops for elevation.

For smaller LOS-blockers, a few simple scaled phone booths, hot dog stands, newspaper/magazine kiosks, even a RotV ruin-shaped fence that units could see through but had to walk around or destroy.

You wouldn't need too many actual tiles after that. The modular city will sell itself and keep us addicts coming back to create our metropolises. Maybe a few more of the asphalt and concrete from Marvel as 24-hexers, a practical amount of road, and a little grass. Just enough for the buildings to spread out on.

As for figures, I think I'm with the majority here who loved the wide variety of historical,modern,fantasy, and Sci-Fi from the RotV set. Around 15 figures, all unique, one or two Large or Huge, most of whom fit with existing armies, but some of whom open up new chapters in the saga.

Edit: RotV gave us grey OM's for Vydar. Marvel gave us blue for Vydar. SotM gave us green for Ullar. I'd love a set of black OM's with this one.
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM

its me lol is surprisingly tart

The answer to this question is simple. Rise of the Valkrie is better. But thats only standing alone. Whilst having both of them combined and some expansions that makes the question harder. This is what we are all used to.

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain
-Axl Rose
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM

idgit has disabled reputation

I enjoy SotM, but my only problem with it was that it had 10 less terrain peices than the original, and 6 less figures, and absolutely no sight blockers.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM

idgit has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne View Post
Yup. I buy them for the terrain mostly. Now that we're 8 waves into this thing and counting, I have so many figures that I feel bad for some of them that collect dust. (Though to be honest, I feel buyer's remorse for purchasing figures I never play.)

Like telling people to vote, I have to give my opinion here so at least I can say I did my part in the feedback process.

For the third master set, I think WotC would positively crush all previous $ale$ numbers if they pulled off a successful modular "Cityscape" model. Imagine several 4-sided buildings with hinges in the corners so you had the option of making them several sizes. The base would be shaped similar to the RotV ruins. You could even attach several of them together to make larger buildings, or stack the smaller ones on the bigger ones to make multi-story exterior-only buildings. You could straighted them out to make one long main street. Some may have built-on ladders (fire escapes) or front stoops for elevation.

For smaller LOS-blockers, a few simple scaled phone booths, hot dog stands, newspaper/magazine kiosks, even a RotV ruin-shaped fence that units could see through but had to walk around or destroy.

You wouldn't need too many actual tiles after that. The modular city will sell itself and keep us addicts coming back to create our metropolises. Maybe a few more of the asphalt and concrete from Marvel as 24-hexers, a practical amount of road, and a little grass. Just enough for the buildings to spread out on.

As for figures, I think I'm with the majority here who loved the wide variety of historical,modern,fantasy, and Sci-Fi from the RotV set. Around 15 figures, all unique, one or two Large or Huge, most of whom fit with existing armies, but some of whom open up new chapters in the saga.

Edit: RotV gave us grey OM's for Vydar. Marvel gave us blue for Vydar. SotM gave us green for Ullar. I'd love a set of black OM's with this one.

I could see something like this working very well with the marvel universe, but im worried that the buildings will fall into the category of price inflation, i have heard the arguments about siege engines, and towers, and pirate ships being too pricey with having few pieces, and i fear the price would conflict with the theme.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:09 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm committing a minor act of thread necromancy here for the sake of this suggestion/request: put Marro Drones x3 in the next Master Set!

Ordinarily, re-releasing a booster common in a master set would be met with moans and groans from players who love the new stuff, but here's what the drones can do:

1. They fix the infamous minions/drones marketing foulup. With nine drones, I can see their full strength firsthand... until the first one dies. Three squads is a tease. If I have some (but not enough!) drones already, a minions/drones pack suddenly becomes no worse than any other common booster.

2. They offer an essential lesson on commons. Plenty has been said about this, no need to repeat it. The next MS should have multiple commons.

3. They show what Utgar is all about. Both master sets have given Utgar the majority of figures, and among those figures, there's always a further nod to the idea of him having an overwhelming numerical advantage in combat, whether it's Marro Warriors cloning or the Utgar-squad-fest that is SotM. He's also introduced as the guy who likes to roll the d20 for a big payoff. Drones fit the bill perfectly.

4. They help even out perceived imbalances among products. I think it's fair to say that Rise of the Valkyrie is generally more popular than Swarm of the Marro and that Raknar's Vision is generally more popular than Orm's Return. Because they connect to Su-Bak-Na and the Hive, the drones put their thumb on the scales just a little.

I'm not sure if there's any other previously released unit I'd be happy to see in a new Master set. (Swog Riders, maybe?) I am NOT saying to re-release a swath of repackaged old stuff without good reason. But I think the Drones are in a unique position to make players happy while supporting and strengthening the game as a whole.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

rdhight, I think your proposal to have the Marro Drones as the featured units in the next Master Set is worthy of a lot of serious consideration. Thanks for your well worded rationale and thought provoking post.
<Revrep>
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I'm never going to leave my 'Unique' master set idea. I think it might just be because I've never paid money to have more than one of a given master set. I think that if Gladiators and Agents had been delayed and packaged with SotM, and we had a Stingers and Nagrubs pack instead, it would have solved so many issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

I like your rationalization for the Drones in a master set, but I hope that a next Master set doesn't focus on the Marro. I have no problem with Marro, but I think we have enough of them for now.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
I have no problem with Marro, but I think we have enough of them for now.
I reorganized my cards this morning (in anticipation of the new stuff coming soon) and decided that Utgar had gotten too big to handle easily. I split off the Marro and Marrdens; and the Gruts. So I understand your point, Cav.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
I have no problem with Marro, but I think we have enough of them for now.
I understand your point, Cav.
Let me jump on this bandwagon, and agree with Jexik at the same time.

We don't need more marro, but he's right that it would be great to have multiple copies of the SAME common in a new master set. And commons that really need to be played in multiples to get their full value.

The only problem is that newbies will squeak, but if WOTC play it right...
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby!

I have to agree that there are to many marro, and there are alot of Utgar figures. I think they need to focus on Elf squads, and Vydar robots. They should also make a castle for each general, wether in expansions or part of a master. I would perfer expansions.

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion