Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 8th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Resource: Terrain sets contents - now with Ticalla Jungl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
This is very useful Soul Shackle, and the exploded pictures are great. Thank you.

Is the omission of the Marvel set deliberate?
Only because I don't use it.

I will add it today, thanks. Rep+
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: Terrain Types and Master Set Contents -- The Definitive

And Revrep to you, Soul Shackle for the list.
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
And Revrep to you, Soul Shackle for the list.
Thanks, Rev!
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

I'm sorry to sound so negative but the pictures make the terrain expansions look very puny. I am considering buying some of them and these really make me feel like they aren't worth the $17-$20 they run for. Specifically I'm looking at 2 RtTFF and just getting some road and trees doesn't seen very worth it to me. Right now I have 1 of each master set and some of the tiles you get with the figure boosters.

Can anyone vouch for how actually game changing these are? I just don't see how some 29 (total) hexes, 4 trees and 2 walls make that much difference.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
I'm sorry to sound so negative but the pictures make the terrain expansions look very puny. I am considering buying some of them and these really make me feel like they aren't worth the $17-$20 they run for. Specifically I'm looking at 2 RtTFF and just getting some road and trees doesn't seen very worth it to me. Right now I have 1 of each master set and some of the tiles you get with the figure boosters.

Can anyone vouch for how actually game changing these are? I just don't see how some 29 (total) hexes, 4 trees and 2 walls make that much difference.
You know there are different rules for movement on roads, right? Road tiles are very game changing; they help swing the balance of the game back in favor of melee units.

However, I would've bought the RttF set even without such rules. If the mere idea of adding bridges and woods to your map doesn't appeal to you, then I dunno what to say. To each their own, I guess.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I have 2 Rttf's and even if you look past the roads the trees them selves (which there are 5 in each set) as LoS blockers can change the game.

Having to position and reposition to get ranged attacks at advancing units can change a game. Add some road (especially road heavy maps) and melee can close on ranged units in no time.

So, yes, I can vouch for how game changing they are. No to mention, they just look great on the board.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
You know there are different rules for movement on roads, right? Road tiles are very game changing; they help swing the balance of the game back in favor of melee units.

However, I would've bought the RttF set even without such rules. If the mere idea of adding bridges and woods to your map doesn't appeal to you, then I dunno what to say. To each their own, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
I have 2 Rttf's and even if you look past the roads the trees them selves (which there are 5 in each set) as LoS blockers can change the game.

Having to position and reposition to get ranged attacks at advancing units can change a game. Add some road (especially road heavy maps) and melee can close on ranged units in no time.

So, yes, I can vouch for how game changing they are. No to mention, they just look great on the board.
I do know that there are different rules for the road tiles. I didn't think of the road adding momentum to a melee attack, thats a good point, also the LOS blockers could be useful. I suppose some actual play with them is required to see their effects. Maybe the 2 sets are worth it. My original post was put very negatively so I could get a strong argument out of someone; both weren't strong but did the job and gave me that push.

Thanks for the input!

Old October 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Trees and roads and bridges change everything in map building for the better.
This is a very small teaching map I have used to introduce the game to new players. I put in the trees to teach about blocking Line of Sight.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post

I like RttFF for several reasons: 1) the bridge creates a bottleneck; 2) figures on the bridge measure line of site over the bridge from red marks placed on the sides of the rails of the bridge, so if the bridge is high enough, these figures can shoot at figures down below without exposing themselves to fire from the figures down below (like the battlements in FotA); 3) trees provides line of site blocking; 4) road hexes provides extra movement; 5) the sides of the bridge detach and connect to regular hexes to create mini walls that must be stepped over at greater movement cost; 6) the set is so aesthetically pleasing. I'm sure there's a lot more reasons I just can't think of right now.

I highly recommend buying one. I started with 1 and I'm up to 6 now. I like to connect the bridges to make longer narrow bridges or wider bridges.

RttFF is probably more fun for your money than just about any other expansion I can think of.

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Cool map Rev; very simple yet has strategic value. Though I don't see where melee gets help on this map; the river blocks general movement to the opposing side and the road is to short to take a full move and the 3(?) bonus move for an all road bonus.

Does anyone recommend getting 2 instead of just one set? Being an obsessed player I'm not totally about having huge amounts of terrain, just enough to make a wide verity of maps.

Old October 25th, 2008, 08:49 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

3 words

Highways and Dieways...if you do not see what trees can do to a game and for a game after playing on that map then you really just don't get the beauty of this game.

(Onacara..proud owner of a whole forrests worth of trees )
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol View Post
I like RttFF for several reasons: 1) the bridge creates a bottleneck; 2) figures on the bridge measure line of site over the bridge from red marks placed on the sides of the rails of the bridge, so if the bridge is high enough, these figures can shoot at figures down below without exposing themselves to fire from the figures down below (like the battlements in FotA); 3) trees provides line of site blocking; 4) road hexes provides extra movement; 5) the sides of the bridge detach and connect to regular hexes to create mini walls that must be stepped over at greater movement cost; 6) the set is so aesthetically pleasing. I'm sure there's a lot more reasons I just can't think of right now.

I highly recommend buying one. I started with 1 and I'm up to 6 now. I like to connect the bridges to make longer narrow bridges or wider bridges.

RttFF is probably more fun for your money than just about any other expansion I can think of.
Wow! Thats the argument I was looking for! Sorry I missed it I was typing up my own responses.

So the walls for the bridge can stay on the bridge with out having anything on the other side to finish the small crevice between 2 tiles? Thats nice to know I thought they couldn't stay on the bridge by themselves.

Can you jump off the bridge? If its into water it could be a good escape or a nice ambush for someone below.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion