Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old December 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
WoW minis or Monsterpocalypse?

I am considering trying a new minis game. So far HS is my only real experience with a minis game. Money is a big issue so I can only try one. Right now the two that looks most interesting to me is Wow minis and Monsterpocalypse. Which one is better/funner? Which one is more expensive. I'm guessing the Monsterocalypse would end up costing the most. Anyway, which of these two should I go with, or is there a different minis game that you all think is the best? I'm looking for something that is fun with good minis but not too complicated, or my wife won't play. Thanks for any suggestions.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; December 14th, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:39 AM

Location: Kansas City metro area (Grain Valley, Blue Springs)
paradox22 knows what's in an order marker paradox22 knows what's in an order marker
Re: WoW minis or Monsterpocalypse?

I would go with monsterpocalypse. Amazingly painted miniatures, very innovative rules, strategic yet hillarious... It's a GREAT game. Just my opinion though... I don't have any expirence with WoW.

Heres a good MonPoC fan site you can check out: http://www.hudsonweb.net/monpoc/phpBB3/

Also, we have a pretty good tournament scene here in the kansas City area... so you could make the pilgrimage up here to play!

Get your Kansas City Metro Scaping fix here: http://kcheroscapers.getphpbb.com/forum.html
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:02 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation

Damn Mosterpocalypes and it's nessessity to buy two starter sets to even play

Other than that, MP is a great game. READ ALL OF THE RULES. It has a bunch of them, and it's a big step from HS. All the things you can do with power attacks and crap is hard to learn and hard to teach. Fun though.
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Gabbi is surprisingly tart

Monsterpocalyps is for sure the more expensive.
anyway, two starters are suggested but not necessary for 2 players (you can mark damage in other ways (dice, beads, paper...), and use regular dice).
I play both games, and can say that both have a great and distinctive mechanic (the dice pools for MonPoc, ticks for WoW) that sets apart the game from the others, and request some thinking during game.
since they're both great games, I would go on the one that has the setting that appeals you the most.
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM

saintBYgrace has disabled reputation

In the end it will come down to which you like more, HUGE monsters or elves, dwarfs, and the like. While I enjoy some things in the WoW world, the HUGE monsters have me all the way.

In MonPoc you not only have HUGE monsters but you also have a grab bag of the best monsters out there. Want to save the world? Pick the giant robot faction G.U.A.R.D. or the space ninjas Shadow Sun. `Zilla more your style? Then you will find them here as well. Not only that but have you checked out their supporting units? PLEASE, that alone make this game worth checking out. G.U.A.R.D. has tanks, helicopters, a mobile unit which gives it longer range for shooting units, and a mobile healing unit for your two HUGE G.U.A.R.D. monsters. Shadow Sun has stealth jets, smaller space ninjas, and little transporters that let the space ninjas move from transporter to transporter just be entering them. And this goes for all 6 factions, not just one or two. PLEASE, for the sake of all that is good, check the game out.

Also make note that there are new monsters and units on their way as of March. So you will not have to wait long to see the new stuff as it will be upon us here in a few short months. But in the end, it really depends on what you like more. As well please make note that while MonPoc can look like it is a bit more than one can handle, IF I can understand and play it, ANYONE can. I am SO use to simple games like Clue and those board games and after a few games I fully understand what is going on and what is what (and this game gets deeper and deeper as you learn more and more about how to use the units and the such).

For me, it is all about the theme of said game, if I can grow with said game, and is it fun? The answer for me with MonPoc is YES! Yes! Yes! Ok, rant over now go out and purchase you a game you will enjoy and have some fun : )

Proverbs 3:5-6

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in your ways and He will direct your paths."
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I play Monsterpocalypse, and love it. Haven't played WoW, though.

As fr money, what I'm doing is buying a bunch of the boosters, and trading the figures I won't use on the site Paradox posted.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker

The single cheapest idea out of both is simply going WoW and buying singles off of....

www.trollandtoad.com

www.miniaturesmarket.com

You can get the EXACT squad of figures you want for 6 bucks if they are all common. Though a a starter is still needed.

I can't say much to help you choose, but from what I can tell monsterpoc looks like it will be more of a money sink getting started.

I personally love WoW for it's very small scale, and the fact you can convince a buddy to buy a single booster pack and instantly play aganst him.

But Monsterpoc looks like it has some great rules to, but the "GIANT FRIGGIN MONSTA" theme isn't really up my alley.

~Z~

I do art. Check it out.

http://insanelyzanter.deviantart.com/
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker

I was asking myself a similar question a few months back. Mutant Chronicles, MonsterPocalypse, and WoW minis all came out around the same time. Honestly, my favorite based on theme and gameplay is MC, but FFG did a very poor job of launching that game. There are very few people who play it around here. Interestingly, my wife who generally shies away from the complexity of my miniatures games and she found MC to be very accessible. Recently, the FFG sale on AT-43 got me looking for another pre-painted minis game to play. One of my major criteria for choosing a game is that I want it to be something that a lot of other people in the area are actively playing at the game store. Both WoW and MonPoc satisfy that criteria.

WoW minis is by far the cheaper of the two games. It is a small scale battle where you only need 3 figures each IIRC. Personally, I stay away from WoW related games in general, but I've heard it is a fun game. Based on the information I got from my FLGS, there are a lot of WoW minis players and they aren't necessarily the normal tabletop gamers. (A lot of computer geeks bought into it and started playing.) My impression is that it would be an easier game for my wife to pick up.

I just started on MonPoc, and it is a bit expensive right off the bat. Since you really want to play faction pure due to the bonuses, getting the figures you really need to have an effective army can be a bit of a chore. If you go with MonPoc, do not go overboard with the monsters. You need at least 15 units per every 1-2 monsters in a faction to have a playable army. That means 2-4 unit boosters for every monster booster. Privateer Press has a very good history with WarMachine and Hordes and everything I've seen with MonPoc indicates that they are doing things the right way. Honestly, the special abilities in MonPoc are quite daunting when you start out. There are too many for you to get them all right in the first (or even fifth) gameplay. I have yet to try playing with my wife, but I think the amount of special abilities and interactions will be a turn off for her. For me, however, I find that it adds depth. You will be discovering and learning new interactions for quite some time.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info. I am very price conscious myself, so if decide to go with MonPoc, let me know and I might be able to point you in the direction to get in for as cheap as possible.
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I should be getting some MonPoc for Christmas, so I will let you know how it goes. My opinion on WoW is this: I LOVE the online game, but the minis game doesn't look like it will translate Azeroth to the mini gamer's world very well.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I haven't played either (I'm a one-miniatures-game-at-a-time kinda guy), but my advice would be to go for Warcraft. Why? If you don't like the game, the minis you'll have can be used as Heroscape customs, natch!
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:43 AM

webhead817 Woo who?

Here's my take...WoW Minis is cheaper to get into, but probably more expensive to collect the full set if you are inclined to go that way.

WoW minis gameplay is more similar to HeroScape than MonPoc. Between hex based movement and the way attack and defense dice work, there are some solid similarities. Is that good or bad? I don't know...if you are looking for an easier game to learn...WoW is probably it. If you like the mechanics of HeroScape a lot and are looking for something similar, you may find it in WoW. On the other hand, if you are looking for something new in gameplay, MonPoc will give you a different flavor of game play.

On the other hand...WoW has a very monochromatic theme...sort of the Fantasy Steam Punk genre of the video game. MonPoc, despite being about giant monsters, has a varied theme more similar to HeroScape. You have your giant robots. You have your dinosaurs. You have your aliens. Etc.

MARVEL AttackTix Battle Figure Game Game Developer
TRANSFORMERS Bot Shots Battle Game Game Designer
The Avengers Loki's Mercenaries
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:10 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks for all the advise guys. I think that I will wait until after Christmas to make my final decision. Right now I am leaning heavily toward WoW because of it's cheaper price, simplicity of rules, and faster games. I think these things would appeal more to my wife. In truth MonPoc sounds more interesting to me but after reading through the rules and game play info I don't think I would ever get anyone in the family to play. I have played a couple of games of WoW using the downloadable demo and I am a little worried about it staying fun in the long run. There does not seem to be much to it. Everyone runs to the VP point and fight over it until someone dies. It seems too simple. But maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, thanks again guys.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures