Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Confred's Customs *3/3* - TMNT: Donatello Teams PlayTest

Leonardo
Mutant
Unique Hero
Ninja
Precise
Medium 4

Life 4
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 5
Defense 4
Points 115

Fearless Leader
After taking a turn with Leonardo, you may move up to 3 Ninjas you control up to 2 spaces each. All figures moved with Fearless Leader must be within 8 clear sight spaces of Leonardo prior to moving. Leonardo cannot be moved with Fearless Leader.
Protector 14
If a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Leonardo attacks a friendly figure, and rolls at least one skull, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-13, roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 14 or higher, immediately move Leonardo adjacent to that figure and attack it with a normal attack. If the figure survives, roll defense dice normally. If Leonardo is engaged when he uses Protector 14, he doesn't take any leaving engagement attacks.
Spoiler Alert!

-
Since his abilities require teammates, that is where we will start the testing.
I predict his Protector ability will be powerful, but once drawn into engagement he will simply become the focus and not just ping all over the place. His Defense 4 and Life 4 should keep him in check and his points down.
-
I like how Leonardo wants the opponent to be engaged and thus force their attacks and trigger his Protector. This should encourage Donatello not to just sit back and watch. He will be adjacent, moved there with Fearless Leader, and protected by Leo and his 5 defense, all the while contributing with his observations. Donatello is second in command, but Leo is first, and when Leo is around, Donatello fights with the rest of them. +Flavor Points.
-
I also like how Leonardo doesn't have Disengage. Not only does it save text space, it keeps his powers in check and point costs down.

Play Test Duo Testing
Leonardo & Donatello (205) vs. Deathwalker 8000 & 10th Regiment of Foot
Spoiler Alert!

Changes v1.1
Protector 14
If a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Leonardo attacks a friendly figure, and rolls at least one skull, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-13 roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 14 or higher, immediately move Leonardo adjacent to that figure and attack it with a normal attack. If the figure survives, roll defense dice normally. If Leonardo is engaged when he uses Protector 14, he doesn't take any leaving engagement attacks.
This change reduces the potency of the power. Leonardo only dashes in when the teammate is actually in peril. Also, it requires clear sight, which was the intention of the original but was left out due to oversight.
-

Play Test 1.1 Duo Testing continued
Leonardo & Donatello (205) vs. Marro Stingers (120)
Spoiler Alert!

Result: Proposal to increase Life to 6, or +1(5) Life +1(5) Defense

Play Test Queue
Leonardo & Michelangelo (225) vs.
Leonardo & Raphael (230) vs.
Leonardo & Ninjas of the Northern Wind (225) vs.
Play Test Trios Testing
Leonardo, Donatello, & Michelangelo (315)
Leonardo, Donatello, & Raphael (320)
Leonardo, Michelangelo, & Raphael (340)
Leonardo, Donatello, & Ninjas of the Northern Wind (315)
Bonus: Leonardo, Donatello, & Major Q10 (355)

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.

Last edited by Confred; March 28th, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Confred's Customs *3/9* - TMNT: Leonardo Teams PlayTest

Naming Powers
My philosophy on naming powers in Heroscape is to tune it to be as generic as possible. This way the power can be used on different characters and in different contexts and gain bonus cool points for having those different contexts. For example, a heavy mounted knight squad could surely have 'Trample Stomp.' Secondly, having the power not directly reference the inspiration garners cool points when the player makes that connection.
Say for example we were making 'The Tick' instead of having a power named SPOOOON! the power is 'Warcry', then that ability can not only be reused, but fans of The Tick can make that connection and yell out SPOOOON! in person when activating the power. With the power as the quote name in place, people that aren't fans, those that don't know the character are isolated and the actual effect is unclear. He is doing a warcry. Call it as such. For that player they now know he is doing a cry to enhance his bravery and not using a spoon as a hidden weapon or something. And perhaps then, since the character is a specific hero, they can connect the points that The Tick has a specific warcry, which then in turn, according to Wikipedia, would be SPOOOON!.

With that said, I think I am going to rename 'Fearless Leader' to 'Squad Movement'.
Protector 14 will also change eventually. I am thinking something with 'Dash','Saving', 'Parry', or 'Riposte' in the name.. Even 'Intercept Attack'.. still brainstorming. But Protector 14 is definitely a placeholder.

Last edited by Confred; March 12th, 2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:19 AM

Re: Confred's Customs *3/9* - TMNT: Leonardo Teams PlayTest

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (430) vs. Sentinels x2 + Airborne Elite (430)
The battlefield is Turret Rocks
Leonardo is still being tested as Life4 Defense4

The Sentinels are menacing, especially to Mutants, even of the teenage ninja variety. They lumber along at 4 move, slowly encroaching, ready to sit on that +Attack Glyph (Boosting them to A5, A6 with height).

Leonardo scouts ahead and keeps his ninja squad in tow with his Fearless Leader power. I love this power.
At the end of Round 1, all Turtles are in range to attack the solitary Sentinel sitting on the Glyph.

Michelangelo climbs the hill adjacent to the stream and successfully Taunts the Sentinel off his Glyph thanks to Donatello's +1. The Sentinel attacks into his death. The forced attack Triggers Leonardo's Protector special power, but this is unintended and I cancel the trigger. But Mutant Alert does trigger and Sentinel B replaces A's position on the Glyph to where he will stay until the end of game, his Defense 7 too impervious.

The Airborne drop in range enough to throw their Grenades, but decide not too in lieu of 4 attacks at +1 or +1+1. However, they lose initiative. Michelangelo takes advantage of this and runs at the two aiming their guns at him. He whirlwinds them both dead.
The remaining two take out Leonardo.
Michelangelo chases the other two down, the first on the Rocks the second on the opposite stream hill. He taunts both into the water and counterstrikes them. He is a squad killing machine. But cannot do squat against hard-hitting, high defense heroes. and dies.
Donatello's high defense holds out for awhile but he has to get in the water to attack. The disadvantage was enough to put in those final wounds.

Due to Sentinel Networking, the Order Markers were safe from being Disabled. I wonder if that was intended. I noted it in their Books page.
Mutant Alert enabled the second figure to be right there in the action without OM waste.
Mutant Detection won initiative almost every round. Makes me excited to play with April O'Neil.

Leonardo is awesome. I like both of his abilities, even if Protector goes off only once a game if at all. His bonding is just enough. His Life and Defense add a certain tension. He just plays how I want him. But thanks to Taunt, Protector needs to be reworded. And his points have come under speculation, he might be 120.

Raphael just goes off. He Frenzied 7 or so times this game and put most of the wounds on the Sentinels, but 3 is still 3 and 7 is 7, so he wasn't enough. But his coolness still shown. He is like a turtle Wolverine. His Life 5 is perfect and I'm glad he is the only one with it.

Donatello continues to be the quiet duck, but he did boost Mikey for the key Sentinel kill. He is solid enough and eh, he's 90points.

Michelangelo was the eye-catcher this game. He is very good against squads. His Whirlwind Assault Special Attack possibly needs to be toned down to just a special power to keep his costs in check. I like that it is a SA because in think his weapons should be hard to defend against. But the power level of taunt (+height) + counter strike is so high that the Whirlwind might have to dropped altogether. For now perhaps it will just reduce to a special power. As is, he might be as much as 120points.

The Turtles are glass canons that work well together. I often worry that they are too fragile, but the weakness hasn't really adversely affected their gameplay but it has created a fun tension. I like them very much.

Result Whirlwind Special Attack --> Whirlwind Assault

Last edited by Confred; March 26th, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Re: Confred's Customs *3/26* - TMNT vs. Sentinels Play Test

Special Power Conflict Discussion
TAUNT 14
After moving and before attacking, choose one opponent’s figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Michelangelo and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, move that figure adjacent to Michelangelo and force it to attack Michelangelo with one less attack die. Figures moved with Taunt 14 are never attacked for leaving an engagement.

Triggers

PROTECT 14
If a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of Leonardo attacks a friendly figure, and rolls at least one skull, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-13, roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 14 or higher, immediately move Leonardo adjacent to that figure and attack it with a normal attack. If the figure survives, roll defense dice normally. If Leonardo is engaged when he uses Protect 14, he doesn't take any leaving engagement attacks.

But shouldn't
Goal: Fix it.

Old March 26th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Re: Confred's Customs *3/26* - TMNT vs. Sentinels Play Test

post deleted

Last edited by Confred; March 26th, 2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Solution Doesn't Work
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Confred's Customs *3/26* - Request: Wording Assistance

Not sure if you've thought about this or not, but, as you have it written currently...
If you use Splinter's Ninja Master ability to take turn with 4 Ninja Heroes, then use Leo's Fearless Leader ability, then 3 of your Turtles move 7 or 8 spaces, and April moves 14 spaces.
You really should watch how you word powers. This is the first time I have seen your work, and that's a major error.
I suggest first, you change Ninja Master to 2 Ninja Heroes, or it becomes WAY overpowering.
I suggest second, you change April's ability to "After you taking a turn with any Mutant Hero you control, ..."
Old March 27th, 2010, 02:56 AM

I intended to have that movement versatility. I haven't gotten to the play testing of April or Master Splinter yet. But the abilities were intentional. Master Splinter is powerful, but his Mind Link is limited and he is expensive and frail. Play testing will tweak him to how he should be. The same is true for April. While playing with the Sentinels, I found that even +2 initiative to be valuable, so more than likely the Reporting initiative bonus will reduce to +4. Again testing will tell.

But for now, what I am stuck with and want the most help on is to undo the Protect + Taunt combo.

Thanks for your concerns Wulf.

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:00 AM

Master Splinter's First Playtest; Bonus test with Lex Luthor

Moving on with the interactions as is.

Play Test - Bonus Big Battle: Double Test
TMNT & Master Splinter (600) vs. Lex Luthor, Two-Face, & Street Thugs x5 (615)
All battles are at Turret Rocks
Lex Luthor is at 110pts
Leonardo is at Life 4, Defense 4
Whirlwind Special Attack is Whirlwind Assault
The criminal's initial plan for round one was to use the invulnerable Lex to acquire the objective/glyph and then utilize the throng of enhanced commons. BUT. Michelangelo doesn't care about Criminal Deception and Lex wouldn't last long at all. Perhaps then the focus will be to take out Mikey and then sit on the glyph.
Round 1: This was an active round with all of the bonding
Spoiler Alert!

Round 2: The map favors the Turtles
Spoiler Alert!

Round 3: Both Squad Killers Remain; Anybody's Game?
t1: Criminals continue initiative. 4 Thugs withdraw from Lex, who's holding both turtles engaged. Two get height. All target Mikey but still suck. Michelangelo (1/4).
Raphael pops his only engaged Thug and cannot attack Lex or roll 16 for Frenzy. Street Thugs (13/20)
Michelangelo considers taunting Lex but doesn't and fails anyway. Street Thugs (14/20)
Donatello figures now is as good of a time as any to leave his perch since 3 Thugs are headed his way.
With Life 4, 2 unblockable hits are scary.
t2: The Turtles pale a bit as Lex's plan becomes more clear. The Thugs are no longer in range of engagement. Lex has both turtles tied down as 2 Thugs are aiming at a disadvantaged Donnie while creeping ever closer to Master Splinter.
Michelangelo (2/4), Donatello (3/4).
Michelangelo critically fails (1) at taunting Lex and passes.
Raphael rages past Lex and engages two of the withdrawn thugs. He takes 2 wounds! for his actions. Raphael (4/5), Street Thugs (15/20).
Donatello emerges from the water and engages the two closest to his sensei.
Street Thugs (16/20).
t3: Lex Luthor completely owned the Turtles in his trap. This was the most awesome turn of events in some Heroscape history.
All Thugs have height.
Two Shoot Raphael; Raphael dies (5/5). One shoots Donatello; Donatello dies (4/4). One shoots Michelangelo; Michelangelo (3/4).
The Thugs were in perfect count and placement.
Michelangelo has one wound left, is engaged with Lex Luthor. Only a max Taunt can save him. Master Splinter is out of range.
Amazing; Breathless.
Spoiler Alert!

Round 4: Bold Maneuvers
Spoiler Alert!

Round 5: There Will Be Blood
Spoiler Alert!

Round 6: The Lord Falls
Spoiler Alert!

Results: Whirlwind Assault changes back to Whirlwind Special Attack (Attack 2)
All Turtle stats pass
Splinter's stats pass
Additional Points testing required
More full team battles required

Last edited by Confred; March 31st, 2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:58 PM

Re: Confred's Customs - TMNT vs. C3G Criminals Play Test

The first test was a good one, the next will be against more traditional units. The team played well, but perhaps too well. A focus on points is in order. Master Splinter might also be tested with controlling only two figures.

TMNT and Master Splinter (600)
Versus
The Marro Hive, Tul-Bak-Ra, Ne-Gok-Sa, Marro Stingers x2, and Marro Drudge x2 (600)

Last edited by Confred; April 4th, 2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 View Post
You really should watch how you word powers. This is the first time I have seen your work, and that's a major error.
That is not very friendly way of expressing your concerns. I don't think anyone appreciates a "custom noob" telling them that their customs are a "major error". From what I can tell, Confred is trying to make a powerful yet expensive army of Turtles and allies that work very well together. Now he may be raising the bar a bit in terms of synergy, but at least he is playtesting and making adjustments based on those playtests. Overall, I think Confred is a responsible, creative, and innovative designer, and is doing a great job over here.
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
Now he may be raising the bar a bit in terms of synergy, but at least he is playtesting and making adjustments based on those playtests. Overall, I think Confred is a responsible, creative, and innovative designer, and is doing a great job over here.
This raising of the bar is the direct reason why I think they should be higher in points. Individually they are balanced. And together they don't play as if they are broken. In fact they play frighteningly close to how I imagined them. But not having powercreep is very important to Heroscape. For that alone I think the total army cost should be 700 points or so. The next test, which should be up by Wednesday will address this in particular.

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Confred; April 4th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Confred's Customs - TMNT vs. C3G Criminals Play Test

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations