Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old August 23rd, 2020, 08:05 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] Ozuul (Eldrazi Ruiner) - Editing

Provided I still want to see if I can get 245+ out of Ozuul again, but I was thinking 175 might not be a bad place for Ozuul to land.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 24th, 2020, 10:50 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] Ozuul (Eldrazi Ruiner) - Playtesting

Could someone change the title to Playtesting instead of Editing?
Old August 24th, 2020, 06:18 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Done, thanks.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 29th, 2020, 10:23 PM

For all 3 games:

Map: Once Upon a Hill

Army 1: Ozuul, Knights of Weston x2, Finn, Thorgrim
Army 2: Nicholas Esenwein, 10x Thralls (3x Bloodburst, 3x Darkprowl, 2x Preyblood, 2x Deathstrike), Necro-Mage Elbad (my custom Thrall-improver)

Game 1
Which units survived? Nick, wounded Elbad, 3 Thralls.

Turn by turn summary:
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play? Getting to take the glyph and Pull in the same turn was fun. Forced to use Crush that turn, plus a second Crush which had the potential to kill 2 more Thralls. In other words, both were used every opportunity, but Ozuul died before getting another chance with either.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)? Ozuul only did 42.5 points of damage, max potential was 102.5. This seems very poor, however, Ozuul was deliberately played to see how much he could tank damage... which was not a lot. With his double base and it being hard to prevent figures from getting height on him, 4D/8L doesn't last as long as you would hope.

Game 2
Which units survived? 1 Life Ozuul.

Turn by turn summary:

Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play? I like having 8 Life to be able to disengage to set up Pull/Crush. Collateral damage aside, Ozuul was usually able to wound a Hero and kill a Thrall each time, which makes him much more productive since it reduces counter-attack potential. Crush whiffs hurt a lot, but any time the opponent can be Pulled into one with several figures, that has potential to be a huge swing in Ozuul's favor.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)? This time Ozuul racked up 282 damage (310 if you count Nick Overextending to try to end Ozuul first). It's fun to throw everything you have at Ozuul (like RtG on Deaths) to try to get the kill before the body count starts piling up. It seems if Ozuul starts getting momentum, it's much harder to mitigate his output, which makes the giant figure feel like a real menace.

Game 2
Which units survived? 1/2 Ozuul, Finn, a couple Knights.

Turn by turn summary:
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play? More collateral damage this game, but at least Ozuul was able to temporarily put Thorgrim on the best height adjacent to him, which also meant benefiting from his aura! Similar to last game, constant Pulling, Crushing, and killing lets Ozuul chew through the enemy army. OMs were mixed this time, which appears to have been even more sucessful in keeping the enemy busy enough to let Ozuul maximize his powers.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?
This was Ozuul's biggest game yet at 320 points. That's scary high, but if you've seen him also get scary low results you know you can just keep attacking and you might beat him, which leaves a giant hole in his army. The rolls weren't there this time.

Ozuul seems to be pretty feast or famine, which kinda sucks for trying to balance him. But at this point I think he's proven he's at least capable. Obviously we want to err on the side of caution. My 6 tests have averaged just under 170 points, so 190 looks a lot better than it did. Going lower really overshadows figures like Brimstone and Viceron. I'd like to see two things from other testers: can he replicate results in similar tests? And how does he stand up to range? I suspect he'll fair poorly in the latter, although if there's not a screen maybe he can at least rush in and start Pull/Crush.

I'm OK with where he's at right now, pending other results. The only dial I could see worth turning at this point would be up to 6 Move. If that raises his floor a little without raising his ceiling (at least not too much) I'd be happy, maybe even with a slight point boost to match, depending how much success he's having. Otherwise 190 and 5 Move seems OK. Compare also to Bram, who gets +1 Life and a power for 40 points more.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 9th, 2020, 07:51 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Map: Fossil https://www.heroscapers.com/ohs/inde...U23mPrcuXBlpsE

Army 1 (me): Ozuul, Gorillinators x2, Zaeus, Marcu Esenwein (520)
Army 2 (shiftrex): Warforged x4, Zetacron, Marro Warriors, Raelin RotV, Isamu (520)

Which units survived? Ozuul and Zaeus each with 1 life remaining, Marcu with 5 life remaining, and 4 Gorillinators.

I started the game by getting Ozuul onto position on the road to the north, and developing my Gorillinators. Shiftrex responded by sending his Marro Warriors out first, and I was able to gun a couple down with my gnators. The second round saw him develop Raelin, and I was able to get two attacks on her from height with my gnators to deal 4 wounds to her. At this point Shiftrex started developing his warforged, and I advanced Ozuul, hoping to be able to reach Raelin and finish her off. However, a lost initiative meant that Shiftrex was able to tie up Ozuul with four warforged, and I spent a couple order markers using my gravity crush on them. Ozuul started taking hits from the warforged, but now that the warforged were within range and tied down next to Ozuul, I began placing two OMs each round on Zaeus, using him and his gorillinator attack bonding to finish off Raelin and deal significant damage to the warforged. As the warforged were decimated, Shiftrex switched to Zetacron, hoping to finish off Ozuul and Zaeus, and he successfully defended against multiple attacks before Zaeus killed him from range. At that point, the gnators were easily able to finish off Isamu.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Ozuul killed 4 warforged with Gravity Crush and 1 warforged with his normal. I also used Gravity Pull multiple times to engage warforged soldiers. At least twice, I was able to position Ozuul such that Shiftrex was forced to place a warforged soldier outside Raelin’s aura after being moved by Gravity Pull. Also, even when I only used him once during a round, my X was almost always on him, helping to disrupt my opponent’s plans through the threat of a turn with him.

I still really like where Ozuul is at. I personally don’t think any changes are necessary to the design as it stands, as with careful play he can definitely help tilt the tide of battle for his army. One thing I’ve found is that height advantage is very important for him, as once he engages the enemy he is usually stuck for several turns, as he tends to be (and to some extent wants to be) surrounded by enemy figures. Because of this, he’s really helped when you can park him on spaces that aren’t adjacent to any spaces higher than his level.

Stats
Spoiler Alert!

Version Played

Spoiler Alert!
Old December 18th, 2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
I still really like where Ozuul is at. I personally don’t think any changes are necessary to the design as it stands, as with careful play he can definitely help tilt the tide of battle for his army. One thing I’ve found is that height advantage is very important for him, as once he engages the enemy he is usually stuck for several turns, as he tends to be (and to some extent wants to be) surrounded by enemy figures. Because of this, he’s really helped when you can park him on spaces that aren’t adjacent to any spaces higher than his level.
This has long been good advice for dragons: if nothing else, the +1 Defense goes a long way in keeping them alive to really get your points worth. Not surprised it works for Ozuul, too, since he can handle a few attacks of 3, but 4+ start getting too dangerous too fast.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 4th, 2021, 06:50 PM

Thoughts on Ozuul? I think he could use a couple more tests still, against both Master Set quality armies and competitive ones. IMO he should be strong-ish in the former, while not too-strong in the latter. Admittedly I'm curious how the previous version of "2+X" dice for Crush would preform (theoryscaping says not quite as good against MS armies with fewer figures, and better in the competitive scene with more squads). I understand that's pretty much off the table at this point, but likewise with 6 Move to see if that gives him a little more consistency.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 8th, 2021, 09:42 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think he's in a good enough spot that I'm comfortable with him, but more tests with small variations can't be bad.
Old January 16th, 2021, 03:04 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Map: Ruined City
Glyphs: Ulaniva, Dagmar (unused)

Army 1: Shaolin Monks x3, Master Lao Xin, Yi Feng (430 points)
Army 2: Ozuul, Velnesh Alphas, Raelin, Eldgrim, Isamu (400 points)

Versions used:
Ozuul
Spoiler Alert!

Velnesh Alphas
Spoiler Alert!

Which units survived?
Master Lao Xin with 2 wounds.

Turn by turn brief
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
As a disclaimer, I was wrong on my math for the Shaolin team, for some reason I had the three squads jotted down as 70 points each instead of 80, and only realised upon putting this together. Sorry

Ozuul was pretty strong this game, killing 6 Shaolin and Yi Feng for a total of 220 points. Despite having just one game with him, he’s obviously very powerful against armies that like to group up. The extra move, whilst only used once, got him into a great position to immediately crush 4 monks, and was certainly nice to have that option. It wasn’t game claiming, but it certainly was an intimidating start for the monks to lose almost half their forces round 1. He has the ability to be a decent hero killer too with his 6 attack.

I need to give him another test as from this game alone I could see him being at this point range or even a bit lower. Against squads the matchup can fall either way very quickly, but compared to dragons who have ranged abilities that can also deal with squads, far better mobility and various things to bond with, he seems to be a bit lacking. He does have more health granted, and I’d need to test him more to see if this was a good match up or whether he can more reliably create these set ups. Being able to pull figures off of high ground without a roll is a pretty powerful ability though. And playtests from others have supported that he’s in this sort of price range. I do feel like the enemy team was very much a good match up for him, and against a lot of enemies I don't think he'll perform quite as well.

As for the Velnesh, I felt like they underperformed a bit. I had played another game with them prior to this but they all died to some Ravagers before being able to attack anything. They’re a very compelling and fun unit though, their shifts are incredibly good at closing gaps and suddenly getting on top of ranged figures. They dealt a single wound to Master Lao Xin and that was most of their achievements this game. Their blinks activated a few times and was quite effective at nullifying other Shaolins’ attacks. I need some more games with these guys because I feel like I may not have played them correctly. I’ll emphasise the point that they’re a very fun squad though, and on maps with more terrain and elevations they will be more powerful.
Old January 16th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

By extra move, do you mean that you tested Ozuul at 6 move, or something else like Gravity Pull?

EDIT: Just checked again and saw that it was Eldgrim. It's interesting, because the extra points for the spirit could have been used for something else but Ozuul was very potent (and Ozuul with base 6 move and stuff like Eldgrim or Valda could be much more potent).
Old January 17th, 2021, 02:30 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Map: Ticallan Tower https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...fruXgV5TA/edit

Army 1: 260 Honor Guard of the Blasted Lands x4
100 Himmelskralle
90 Warden 816
50 Marro Warriors

Army 2: 190 Ozuul
160 Nhah Scirh Cultists x2
120 12th Caucasus Rifle x2
30 Guilty McCreech

Which units survived?

3 Marro Warriors and Warden with full health.

I opened by developing my cultists and Russians, while Shiftrex advanced his Marro Warriors and slow rolled his Honor Guard. After tying down some marro with cultists, I used my russians to kill three of his Marro, but one was able to escape back to safety. Early grenades on honor guard clusters were largely unsuccessful, but when Himmel flew in to attack my back line, she blanked her first attack and then was brought down to 1 life by a lucky Russian turn from height. An initiative switch let me finish off Himmel before she did much damage, and then I advance Ozuul toward the cluster of honor guard. Ozuul took out several honor guard using Gravity Pull and Crush, but was ultimately overwhelmed and died after an initiative switch, wasting several OMs on him. If I had won that initiative, I would have been able to roll for gravity crush against four additional honor guards, but it wasn’t to be. At that point, the rest of the honor guard were able to kill off the cultists before dying to guilty, who then died in a shootout with the respawned Marro Warriors.

Killed 2 marro and 4 honor guards.

Ozuul felt fun this game. As in all my past playtests, there were several critical moments where I really felt hindered by the 5 movement and needed just one more movement point to reach the height/position I wanted. See comments in the below playtest for my thoughts on a movement increase.

Version Tested
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Captain Stupendous; January 17th, 2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old January 17th, 2021, 02:49 PM

Map: A Couple Puddles https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...A69Er8WuQ/edit

Army 1: Nakita Agents, Otonashi, Ozuul, Gorillinators x2

Army 2: 150 Major Q10
120 Venoc Warlord
100 Roman Legionnaires x2
120 Venoc Vipers x3
10 Isamu

Which units survived? Player 2 conceded with 2 romans remaining. Player 1 had Ozuul with 3 wounds, 5 Gorillinators, 1 Nakita, and Otonashi

I’d been waiting to see a game where Ozuul cleaned house, and this was it. Vipers and Romans are probably an ideal match up for Big Purple, and he more than made up for his points this game, quite predictably. Basically I opened with Nakitas to get them into a good position and get a wound on Q10 while developing my gnators to height on either side of the map, then once the Romans got closer went all in on Ozuul. He was able to kill two Romans early, then advanced to deal 3 wounds to Q10 in a single attack when Q10 whiffed his defense roll. This let Ozuul advance into the enemy startzone, where he killed 2 Romans, 5 Vipers, and Isamu in a single turn using Gravity Crush. After he finished cleaning out the remaining vipers and romans in the start zone, my opponent conceded with 2 Romans remaining.

Killed 6 romans, 9 vipers, and isamu with Gravity Crush
Dealt 3 to major q10 with normal

Even though Ozuul overperformed this game, he still didn’t feel completely overpowered. Not counting the wounds on Q10 from his lucky normal attack, the romans and vipers he killed “only” added up to 195 points. He was still very strong this game, but I think that seeing how the points of commons killed by Gravity Crush roughly equalled the points invested in Ozuul really puts things in perspective. Its also worth noting that my opponent was a relatively inexperienced player and probably misplayed Major Q10 by leaving him in a position where he was easily engaged by Ozuul.

At this point, I would really like to see some input from Pod 0 regarding their thoughts on increasing Ozuul’s movement to 6. After testing him pretty extensively, I’m confident saying that the current version is definitely not overpowered, and I believe that a movement increase would help make Big Purple more consistent and able to take full advantage of his abilities without giving up defensible positions as often. However, if the pod doesn’t think this change is necessary, I see nothing stopping us from calling playtesting complete for this unit and moving on the next step in finalizing this design.

Version Tested
Spoiler Alert!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs