Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 8th, 2015, 08:12 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game (Looks HeroScap

The color is mostly about the Mana resources in Magic, which we don't have in Heroscape or AP.
Old July 8th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schulzy View Post
These are made out of a softer molded plastic than Heroscape minis. I can bend the double base figures without them snapping at all. Not really a big deal, but the bases won't always lie flat on a surface.
A couple of the unboxing videos that zoomed in on the figs showed some of the bases were a bit warped. That's pretty shoddy that the bases don't always lay flat.
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:08 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
And Magic colors are mixed in decks all the time so thematically it should be like Heroscape where all units can be mixed together.
Yes, you can mix the colors in a Magic deck. The spells still require you to have a certain amount of the correct color mana in order to cast the spells though, the more powerful the spell the more of that colored mana you needed. As a result the color to theme connection remained in tact. You didn't often see someone run a 4 or 5 color deck because it wasn't very efficient. You often ended up with the wrong colored mana for the spells in your hand and thus can't cast any of the spells in your hand. I have not played Magic in a long time now but when I did, 1 and 2 color decks were usually the most effective. Once in a while I would run a 3 color deck with a couple of artifacts that could produce any color of mana that I needed.

I actually enjoyed the 2 color decks quite a bit since you could pair up two different types of magic in different and interesting ways to try and gain an edge. In terms of classic Heroscape you would have to decide if you wanted to pair up Q9 (blue) with a Rat screen (black) or Realin protection (white), but not both. You could of course run a black and white deck and pair Realin up with the Rats, but then the powerhouse that is Q9 wouldn't be available to you. It has always been a part of the challenge of Magic that you don't get to use everything. That is why people are talking about assigning each general to a color.
Old July 8th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Thematically speaking, the Planeswalkers would be "running decks" of whatever color they represent, which is a major reason why you'd be limited. Liliana only has access to black mana - she's only running Swamps - so she can only summon Black creatures and play Black spells.

In the future I expect they'll start adding two-color and even three-color Planeswalkers that widen your options. They'll probably, as a result, cost more than their mono-colored counterparts. (Pure theory, of course.)

As a sidenote I'm curious how expansion packs are going to go. Evidently they'll be common-unit heavy, but would we be getting new Planeswalkers, too? Aping the old "three common and one unique" structure, with a single pack of two-three 'Walkers? Or maybe they'd go with "faction packs" of one new Planeswalker and a Unique Squad or two of appropriate creatures.
Old July 8th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I wouldn't add Blue to Utgar just for the Solborgs. Phyrexia anyone?
U/B for Vydar sounds good as I can see them like the Dimir, although I've also imagined them as Azorious especially with the Warforged and Solborgs

Expansions and more Planeswalkers is an interesting thought. I think there will be more heroes and squads and no more walkers for now, unless multicolor walker

I do think they dropped the ball with all Uniques as including commons was one of the best decisions for Swarm of the Marro

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:15 AM

jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby!

Spent about 20 minutes on a Kor Hookmaster. Not a masterpiece job, but definitely improved the looks.
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Looks amazing to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:41 AM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!

Great paint job! I approve, mostly!

I played a game of this this evening. We didn't even finish. Removing order markers from the game takes so much away, and the lack of height on such a flat map makes movement and positioning mostly pointless. With planeswalkers summoning their units within 5 clear sight spaces, moving your units into position and having to work to get the high ground isn't even a part of the game. This isn't Heroscape, but it can very easily be turned into Heroscape.
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:46 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I certainly understand evaluating the game on its own merits. However, I still think that its a secret code from CVN to Scapers.

To wit:

1. The game in general: Look guys; more Scape.

2. The few 3D terrain pieces: Hey fellas: you can add all your terrain to it, or just forget the cardboard. (And here's some desert to supplement what you have--its all I could chisel out of the suits so far).

3. Etc. Personally, I'm going to get with the designer's program! Over on the AP discussion on boardgamegeek, some who have put their Scape away gathering dust are talking about dusting it off now, to use with the "new" game. We win! Whether we get more expansions or not...

Its pretty funny. Over there I started a thread on the Scape discussion board to alert Scapers who could care less about MTG. A moderator moved it over to the new game AP board, even though my stated intent was to reach out to Scapers specifically with it. Glad there are no Brain Police over here!

I say yea; a voice crying out in the wilderness, a prophet in his own country is not heeded, etc.

"None are so blind as those that will not see!"
--Daredevil, Marvel Comics

Last edited by chas; July 16th, 2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:46 AM

Sinister Woo who?

Mixing the two games seems rather simple.

1. To avoid point issues every play picks one Planeswalker. That player adds the squads and spells associated with that Planeswalker to their army. Then you build/draft a normal Heroscape army to your desired point value.

2. You start with your Planeswalker in your normal starting zone. The associated squads do not and can be summoned later.

3.Chose one of the following
3.1 When you reveal an order marker to activate the Planeswalker you can do a turn from Arena of the Planeswalkers. Summon, play spells, move and attack with either the Planeswalker or one of the associted squads.
3.2 Same as the above but you can cast spells whenever it is your turn.

4. Chose one of the following
4.1 If your Planeswalker is killed you lose the game.
4.2 If your planeswalker is killed you can no longer take a Arena of the Planeswalkers turn and all the associated squads and spells are removed.
4.3 If your Planeswalker is killed you can no longer cast spells but you can still activate one of the squads at a time.

Here you go you merged the two games without any issues.
Once better point values for the Planeswalker and their stuff are discovered this has to be redone for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Sinister; July 9th, 2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old July 9th, 2015, 08:02 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

By George, he's got it!

What do you get when you split up your game?
Boring terrain that is always the same!
Use the ideas the designer unlocks--
To love it all THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!

You'll have no
You'll have no
You'll have no rules conflicts!

Umpa lumpa dunpa da de.
If you are wise you'll listen to me.
You will live in happiness too;
Like the most Uncommon Scapers do.

Dumpa de do!

Last edited by chas; July 9th, 2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:22 AM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!

I've decided that I'm going to make unique squads of a lot of the figures from this game. Each planeswalker will get a card and will be able to summon a unique squad of units exclusive to them (a la rechets) except maybe for Liliana. Then I'll get some unique squads out of most of the rest. I have some ideas.

Would we like to post customs ideas for these figures in this thread, or start a new thread in the Customs forum?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion