Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:58 PM

Krizo is surprisingly tart
Why is Scape your favorite?

With all this 'Will classic scape continue' and 'I hate DnD Scape' talk going on, why don't we try to talk about something positive.

What do you love about scape? I know some are obvious, like the terrain, the minis.

But go farther. Why the minis? Why the terrain? I loove scape and I often enjoy playing with friends. Share any aspects, the social time, the nicknames, whatever.

Let's focus more on why we love scape and less on why we are concerned or how we hate DnD scape.......

There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
The Animator

JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Why is Scape your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizo View Post
With all this 'Will classic scape continue' and 'I hate DnD Scape' talk going on, why don't we try to talk about something positive.

What do you love about scape? I know some are obvious, like the terrain, the minis.

But go farther. Why the minis? Why the terrain? I loove scape and I often enjoy playing with friends. Share any aspects, the social time, the nicknames, whatever.

Let's focus more on why we love scape and less on why we are concerned or how we hate DnD scape.......

Because it is the only game that has Kaemon Awa in it obviously... thats why everyone else like this game right?

...right?

Come check out my heroscape .gif Images.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30039
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM

hero9510 is surprisingly tart

The EI are called "Fabio(s) with Wings."

If power corrupts,
and absolute power corrupts absolutely,
and knowledge is power,
does absolute knowledge corrupt absolutely?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I have often talked and posted about this question, but it is one worth commenting on from time to time.

The most important thing that makes HeroScape my favorite game is that it places me within a community of people, in real life and on-line, who are intelligent, diverse, caring, polite (not a small matter, by any means), and welcoming.

As to the game itself, it is the infinite variety of the game that draws be to it again and again. I love the increasing variety of terrain that can be used, the glyph types, and, of course, the armies.

I also enjoy the pace of the game. You do not have to commit five hours (or three, or even one, if a map is handy) to a game. An evening is full with two or three games, but never a chore to finish things up. In the world of board gaming that is a "plus." In the world of war gaming and miniature gaming, that is absolutely amazing and unique.

I also like the internal humor of HeroScape. It is not a game that takes itself too seriously. We do not pretend to have a simulation of anything, not even of a fantasy thing. We have a fun game, a fairly quick game, a nicely balanced game.

It is easily learned, yet very deep. It is fun.

Finally (for this go), what I like about HeroScape (add in the affordability), is that it keeps being interesting. This factor is due, in large measure, by the development and testing teams. Some games bore me quickly. HeroScape is no where near boring me and here I am in year six of playing with these little dolls.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:27 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Scape is hands down the best overall miniature game out there in my opinion. There is just so much that scape does better than other mini games, in terms of gameplay, theme and strategy. It is easier to have actual fun playing Heroscape, as opposed to other mini games, because you don't have to look up something from the rule book every turn, or have to measure out how far your figures can move. The game design is almost flawless, and pretty much anyone can pick it up and start playing without too much trouble.

The theme is the best feature that scape has to offer. Nowhere else can you really pit elves against samurai and robots, or watch a doggin and some monks fight against medieval cavalry riders. Without the theme, I wouldn't have sparked an interest in the game.

The rules are probably the second best part of the game. I picked up the rules easily after watching a few rounds of a game, and I started playing that same day. The rules are simple and logical, yet they are very flexible and can be easily tweaked around. Unlike any other miniature game I have tried out, this game does not feel like homework to actually learn and play.

Heroscape is the overall compilation of everything I ever hoped to see in a miniature game. It is a game I can continue to play for years without ever worrying about becoming bored with it.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:34 PM

DeathByUtgar Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
Scape is hands down the best overall miniature game out there in my opinion. There is just so much that scape does better than other mini games, in terms of gameplay, theme and strategy. It is easier to have actual fun playing Heroscape, as opposed to other mini games, because you don't have to look up something from the rule book every turn, or have to measure out how far your figures can move. The game design is almost flawless, and pretty much anyone can pick it up and start playing without too much trouble.

The theme is the best feature that scape has to offer. Nowhere else can you really pit elves against samurai and robots, or watch a doggin and some monks fight against medieval cavalry riders. Without the theme, I wouldn't have sparked an interest in the game.

The rules are probably the second best part of the game. I picked up the rules easily after watching a few rounds of a game, and I started playing that same day. The rules are simple and logical, yet they are very flexible and can be easily tweaked around. Unlike any other miniature game I have tried out, this game does not feel like homework to actually learn and play.

Heroscape is the overall compilation of everything I ever hoped to see in a miniature game. It is a game I can continue to play for years without ever worrying about becoming bored with it.
what he said

U.S Marines allowing enemies of the U.S a chance to die for their country since 1775.
my modest custom units and terrain
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
It is a game I can continue to play for years without ever worrying about becoming bored with it.
For someone who has been playing board games for over fifty years, the "bored" factor is huge (especially if the game requires a fair investment, and most of the games I've bought lately cost $40 or so). When I calculate the cost per hour value, HeroScape is a huge winner among board games. (A deck of standard cards or enough dice to play Yahtzee probably is a better value; but not by much.)
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM

Lord Zaibatsu Woo who?

Heroscape is my favorite board game because it is an affordable miniatures game. I remember going to my FLGS and seeing people play these massive battles for other miniatures games and thinking "man that must be a lot of fun" until I saw the price tag of their armies and realized that I would probably never be able to play.

Then one day a friend of mine had me play a game of Heroscape with him which I took to instantly since it was basically the same thing as one of my favorite games Heroquest. I started a little late in the game and don't have all of the cool miniatures other people have but even still Heroscape holds up as a fun game.

Anyone with the cash to buy a next gen video game has the cash to start Heroscape.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:08 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

In addition to what everyone else has said....

Recently for Heroscape has become a very good baby sitter. With the orginal teenager who started us on the game growing older and his interest declining in the game I decided to try another use fot it. I have a 2 and 5 year old boy who love the game. They are too young to play obviously, but if I set up an interesting map (especially with Lava and a Castle) with some figures they love (Snipers, KOW) they will be in that room for hours and play them like action figures. I just have to check in on them once in a while to make sure everything is ok (I am usually in a nearby room and can hear them).

Fun for all ages indeed!

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:24 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zaibatsu View Post
Heroscape is my favorite board game because it is an affordable miniatures game.
This was a big one for me when I first discovered the game. After spending a couple thousand on 40K models that just sat and collected dust because I didn't like painting, Scape was a very easy switch. Combine that with the fact that I can go to Walmart (not so much lately) and drop $20 on payday for a couple booster packs as opposed to a small mint for a handful of Games-Workshop stuff... SOLD!

Oh yeah and it's kind of fun too!

-insert signature here-
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I also agree with all of the above. I would like to add that when I saw HS, I thought it was "Titan done right." Titan was a great little game that involved maneuvering armies on a strategic board, mustering (drafting) units, then facing off against other armies on tactical maps with hexes and painted terrain. While it was fun to build your armies as you go, the really cool part about the game was the tactical combat. HS does this part much better, without the muss of moving around on the strategic map. The greatest plus about HS over Titan is that you don't have a general to kill (like killing the King in Chess). You keep playing to the last pawn, no matter which figures die. Not so with Titan. In that game, if your Titan dies, it's over. I never liked that aspect of the game.
The 3-D terrain, being modular, is a dream come true for a gamer. I can't imagine how that part could be done better, even if you wanted to create a more "realistic" game with historically accurate units and so on.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:51 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yea, so I've posted on this a million times. I actually have a different answer from those posted here so far.

I'm not a miniature gamer. So this game never appealed to me as a simple miniature game. I am an old D&D'er (very old) so some of the appeal was de4finitely that here was a D&D style game that was easy and fast to play.

Basically to me it's a combination of:
Legos + Action Figures + Chess/Backgammon + Never ending variety from new expansions

Honestly the first two are confessions, Chess/Backgammon because of the very intense strategy unleashed with only a few simple rules, and the new expansions just keep me coming back for more. Though sometimes I feel like the "chess" aspect is diminished by the "new figures" aspect. Sometimes I just want to stop expanding and learn how to really play the units I have.

The more I answer this the simpler my answer becomes. Someday I will find the one word answer...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion