Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old February 5th, 2013, 06:55 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: HoME Brainstorming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Gandalf the Grey doesn't exist in The Two Towers or Return of the King. I don't have any intentions of us making any more Merry or Pippin army cards, but we are going to make a Gandalf the White Army Card.
This sums up my thoughts. I'd rather try to avoid making 2 cards for the same character unless we have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Summary
Merry and Pippin rarely took out their points, but they were extremely fun to play as they followed their companions around the boards. I just can't believe they would be fun to play at all without the movement bonding--just sitting in the starting zone waiting for end-game use.

I love the movement bonding so much that I strongly recommend that playtesters run at least 1 game with the movement bonding to see what it's like.
Quote:
Additionaly, WK, why don't you try the same armies you've been playing with but with the proposed change to Loyalty?
I agree with this as well; I'll try to get a quick game in with each version.

Their is no doubt in my mind that the version with the movement bonding will be more useful, but I want to see if the other version in workable. Movement bonding can't become are go to power, we need variety. Gandalf already has movement bonding, Frodo and Sam are prime candidates, in my mind better then Merry and Pippin. In addition I could see a movement power for Aragorn and Boromir. That's 7 of the 9 walkers, which is unacceptable. We have to look at the big picture and plan ahead.
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Quote:
Additionaly, WK, why don't you try the same armies you've been playing with but with the proposed change to Loyalty?
I agree with this as well; I'll try to get a quick game in with each version.

... In addition I could see a movement power for Aragorn and Boromir. That's 7 of the 9 walkers, which is unacceptable. We have to look at the big picture and plan ahead.
I'll do some games without the bonding.

I can see bonding for Frodo and Sam, but I don't see bonding for Aragorn and Boromir (other than Aragorn bonding with the ghosts from the Paths of the Dead).
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:49 PM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I can see bonding for Frodo and Sam, but I don't see bonding for Aragorn and Boromir (other than Aragorn bonding with the ghosts from the Paths of the Dead).
I'd tend to put a bonding type power on Sam (to keep him with Frodo), but not the other way around (Frodo's focus is on the quest, not bonding -- more likely to have some sort of Overextend power).

I would not put any bonding on either Aragorn or Boromir. I could see a Summon (Phantom Knights?) power with Aragorn rather than a bonding.
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:44 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sorry folks did not get a chance to play test this weekend, I'll have to see what I can do this week.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; February 10th, 2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Busy for a change...
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just my two sense, I would suggest re-wording the "Unnoticed" special power. Right now, it took me two or three reads before I actually understood what it did. Try this perhaps:

Unnoticed
Merry/Pippin may never be attacked by a non-adjacent figure with a normal attack. An adjacent figure may only attack merry/pippin if that figure is not adjacent to any other enemy figures.
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Original version:
Quote:
UNNOTICED
Opponent's figures must be adjacent to attack Pippin with a normal attack. If an opponent’s figure that is adjacent to Pippin attacks with a normal or special attack, it must attack another figure, if possible. Pippin is never attacked when leaving an engagement.
I agree that it can be confusing. The first sentence, especially, needs rewording: "...must be adjacent to Pippin to attack him with a normal attack..."

That will match Sgt. Drake's Thorian Speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy Winfred View Post
Unnoticed
Merry/Pippin may never be attacked by a non-adjacent figure with a normal attack. An adjacent figure may only attack merry/pippin if that figure is not adjacent to any other enemy figures.
Your second sentence doesn't match the original intent.

The original intent: If an enemy figure, such as Nilfheim, has the ability to attack more than once per turn, but each attack must be against a different figure, then Nilfheim would be allowed to attack both Syvarris and Pippin (since he cannot attack Syvarris twice).

Also, if only Merry and Pippin are adjacent to a goblin, that goblin may choose to attack either Merry or Pippin.

Your wording: An enemy figure, such as Nilfeim, can never attack Pippin if it is adajcent to another figure you control (Syvarris). So Nilfeim cannot attack Pippin at all with his second attack.

Also, if only Merry and Pippin are adjacent to a goblin, that goblin cannot attack either one.

Disengage
Last, you forgot about the Disengage wording at the end of their power.

Summary
So I agree with you about the wording on the first part needing correction, but the second part of your wording doesn't match the original intent. While I agree the current wording can probably be better, I don't have a better suggestion.
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:38 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the wording suggestion. We'll have to be sure to put all our text through the wringer as we move them out of Design. (Still need to retroactively go over Gandalf's card)

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

So I re-tested the boys with the same armies and the move enhancement bonus. Again, here’s my disclaimer, I don’t do a lot of play testing but these are two of my favorite characters from the books. It was also getting late so we only did the two.

My son used:
Cyprien
Werewolf Lord
4 x Zombies
(530/14)

I used
Merry
Pippen
SOTM Drake
2 x KOW
Tarn Vikings
Airborne Elite
(530/19)

Battle One – (Rush and burn)
Spoiler Alert!

Battle 2 – (Had enough)
Spoiler Alert!

Now I’m probably not the best play-tester out there (I’m certainly not the best player) but I hope that these results help.
To me it didn’t seem like much of a difference between the move bonded and non-movement bonded results but the way you play them is totally different.
When you only use order markers on Merry when you need to attack I found I attacked with Drake and not Merry. It’s a more fluid quick style of play (we just didn’t get a lot of time on it).
When I had to use Merry without bonding, I found I used him more but kept him beside other figures so that the others would have to be attacked first. It’s a slower more methodical game play that would probably help out the other team if their using figures that take out multiples.
So in the end I’m not sure how helpful that is…
I also found out that I don’t like playing against the Werewolf Lord.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; February 25th, 2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Still not sure I like the movement bonding for these two...but it works!
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Zombies (vs) Lots of melee small and medium figures = Zombie Apocalypse
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by faure View Post

LOYAL COMPANION
If a unique hero you control attacks an adjacent opponent's figure that is also adjacent to Merry with a normal attack, that hero rolls one additional attack dice. If a unique hero you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Merry is destroyed, you may move all order markers from that figure's army card to Merry's army card.
I like this better than the movement bonding.
I fear that this version will be to difficult to pull of.

Since we're only debating certain parts of loyalty, I would like to move them onto design soon. We can fine tune Loyalty there. Below are the versions that I would want to take into design.

NAME = MERIADOC BRANDYBUCK

GENERAL = JANDAR
PLANET = ARDA
SPECIES = HOBBIT
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = ADVENTURER
PERSONALITY = BRAVE
SIZE/HEIGHT = SMALL/3

LIFE = 4
MOVE = 4
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 30

LOYALTY
If a unique hero you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Merry is destroyed, you may move all order markers from that figure's army card to Merry's army card. Add 2 to Merry's move if he end his move adjacent to a unique hero you control.

BARROW BLADE
When Merry attacks an undead figure, add two to his attack.

UNNOTICED
Opponent's figures must be adjacent to attack Merry with a normal attack. If an opponent’s figure that is adjacent to Merry attacks with a normal or special attack, it must attack another figure, if possible. Merry is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

NAME = PEREGRIN TOOK
GENERAL = JANDAR
PLANET = ARDA
SPECIES = HOBBIT
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = ADVENTURER
PERSONALITY = LOYAL
SIZE/HEIGHT = SMALL/3

LIFE = 4
MOVE = 4
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 30

LOYALTY
If a unique hero you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Pippin is destroyed, you may move all order markers from that figure's army card to Pippin's army card. Add 2 to Pippin's move if he end his move adjacent to a unique hero you control.

HAMSTRING
When Pippin attacks a large or huge figure, add two to his attack.

UNNOTICED
Opponent's figures must be adjacent to attack Pippin with a normal attack. If an opponent’s figure that is adjacent to Pippin attacks with a normal or special attack, it must attack another figure, if possible. Pippin is never attacked when leaving an engagement.
Quote:
infectedsloth, I'll admit I still feel a little conflicted about those powersets, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to do anything that satisfies all of us at once.

I'd like to hear from some more of the membership first, but I think I would vote yea to those units.

I imagine White Knight will have more to say, considering that he is actively playtesting one of the other forms of Loyalty.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

I like them as-is. Personally, I think they fit as members of the Fellowship (and as hobbits) well enough in that they're recognizable, but not too powerful.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:58 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I think we should move Merry and Pippin to playtesting.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs