Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 18th, 2013, 06:40 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Discussion: Why Did Heroscape Fail?

I just want to mention that there was much discussion after cancellation about the license being picked up by another company, with rumors that several other organizations were trying to get it from Hasbro. For months there was hope and speculation. Nothing would make most of us happier to see it happen--as long as its not My Little Pony Scape!

Last edited by chas; January 18th, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:30 AM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post
The highest projected market for "The New Heroscape" as previously mentioned, is in customs. Imagine having Transformers, TMNT, hell even Pokemon figures be added to the game. Unimaginable profit. It can gain costumers from anywhere.

A 7-year old boy goes to the store looking for a toy. He sees two of his favorites, Pokemon and Transformers. Then he sees "The New Heroscape" with Transformers and Pokemon. This is what he buys because it is both toys in one so to speak.

This "mass market" would start out small because of two symbols: © and ®. Less-known cartoons/characters will be made first because they need the "free" advertisement. Then the big names will want this "free advertisement" as well. An online game will help with the momentum.

We are talking big money if you feel like adding it up, and ideas like this take time, and a better economy. With a better economy comes more risks with money. So that's my theory, for the sake of all the sets I have, I hope it happens.
There are a lot of hurdles with this idea.

One being that Hasbro is not likely to sell their IP, or sit idly while someone else tries to make money using it. They aren't or haven't yet pulled a Games Workshop on the customs community, but another company would invoke the full wrath of their legal department. Even if Hasbro sold or licensed the IP, it would be a pretty big cost/investment.

Two being that other properties (TMNT, Transformers, Pokemon, etc.) would have to be either owned by the "New Heroscape" company or they would need to be licensed. Odds are Hasbro made very little profit on Marvel, and/or the license costs are the reason there was so little terrain. It might also be a problem if the company that owns those properties looks at Marvel Heroscape and asks why it will work for a new company when it didn't work with Hasbro and Marvel.

Those are two big hurdles (and possibly really big costs) without even talking about plastic and labor prices (both are probably more expensive now.
1) As already mentioned it would be a big risk but would gain insane profit when rewarded, the price of the IP is only the first step. That being said one would obviously have to be devoted to the game or highly motivated by the profit to jump into such a task of bringing back Heroscape at all.

2) If we can figure out what went wrong with Marvel Heroscape, odds are, other people can as well. They could also look at other hybrid games (such as Super Mario Smash Bros) and wonder why this is so successful. A bit of a stretch from board game to video game, but the vastness of characters are very similar.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:00 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

The new Disney "Infinity" video game is Heroscape-esque -- a big mashup of characters, with a miniature component a la Skylanders.

Just to throw some fuel on the fire, some guy who, I don't know, is the descendent of Sir Hawthorne or something, said there was a 20% chance of a Heroscape return over on BGG.
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Your wish is my command, Chief Underpants Eater

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
Just to throw some fuel on the fire, some guy who, I don't know, is the descendent of Sir Hawthorne or something, said there was a 20% chance of a Heroscape return over on BGG.
I'm pretty sure that is Grungebob, but I could be wrong.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:56 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm pretty sure it is too
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is too
Yes, that is Grungebob.
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
The new Disney "Infinity" video game is Heroscape-esque -- a big mashup of characters, with a miniature component a la Skylanders.

Ancestor of Sir Hawthorne would be closer. Did you see the part about "If you had to make up a number out of thin air..."? It goes right along with 64% of all statistics are made up.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:51 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibechief View Post
Quote:
I hate to say this but I've been burned before believing what Grungebob said. He's been responsible for a quote in my signature about how Heroscape was not having any problems.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I hate to say this but I've been burned before believing what Grungebob said. He's been responsible for a quote in my signature about how Heroscape was not having any problems.
20% is a pretty low chance. Higher than we might expect, but still remarkably low. I don't think he's being misleading.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:15 PM

PeasantDave Woo who?

Right when I got into HeroScape I wondered why Hasbro didn't make a deal with Blizzard to use the units from Warcraft 3. They are cool looking, thematic, would have been [relatively] easy to design and very fun to play. There was even a window where Blizzard canceled their miniatures deal with UpperDeck.

Obviously this stuff is easier said than done, but I always felt like it would be an easy way to bring new people in and maintain the integrity of the product.

Member of the Defeated by Xanth Club
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
20% is a pretty low chance. Higher than we might expect, but still remarkably low. I don't think he's being misleading.
I'm sure GB would be the first to say he was pulling numbers out of the air, and at best he was doing freelance work on Heroscape, so he isn't necessarily privy to the kind of information that would lend weight to that number.

Now Rob Daviau's comments on the Plaid Hat Games Podcast are a lot more informed.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:37 PM

joe5joe7 knows what's in an order marker joe5joe7 knows what's in an order marker joe5joe7 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeasantDave View Post
Right when I got into HeroScape I wondered why Hasbro didn't make a deal with Blizzard to use the units from Warcraft 3. They are cool looking, thematic, would have been [relatively] easy to design and very fun to play. There was even a window where Blizzard canceled their miniatures deal with UpperDeck.

Obviously this stuff is easier said than done, but I always felt like it would be an easy way to bring new people in and maintain the integrity of the product.
Man if they made a deal with Valve and came back with a line of DOTA 2 figures compatible with Heroscape I would be in heaven. Valve seems like they'd be an easy company to work with too.

A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion