Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old July 1st, 2011, 07:18 AM

SquareHalo is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Bases and stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactminiatures View Post
Normal and Marvel along with 30mm base and 40mm base sizes are now up for sale:

http://www.impactminiatures.net/index.php?option=basing

Rows 3 through 7 for the list of products offered.

Tom @ Impact!

Less than 2 days to get from request to item in shop?

Impressive doesnt quite describe it.
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:41 AM

impactminiatures knows what's in an order marker impactminiatures knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareHalo View Post

Less than 2 days to get from request to item in shop?

Impressive doesnt quite describe it.
Thank you ... trying to serve to please the customer base.

The brown bases are a bit of a tricky request. $1400 to have them made and then there is a concern that the colour match will be off (which would suck). So that request is going to take me longer to figure out.

The peanut bases are another one that are troubling to try to produce. I give Yodajunkie credit for producing those. All the processes I've seen so far would be pretty labour intensive to make happen.

If I wanted to check into the peanut bases can anyone name me some fairly common figures that is on a small and large peanut base that I could pick up on Ebay so I could pick them up without spending too much and could then send it to my plastic and resin casters to talk about what our options are to service this as well ... but this is one that could take a while.

If there are any products we can look into to help the Heroscapers community ... just let me know.

Tom @ Impact!
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Tom
Here is the List of Base Sizes for Heroscape figures. I would recommend looking at Auggie's before eBay. He has a flat shipping rate of $3.50.
Some examples from Auggie's:
Small Double
Othkurik $1.79
Major Q10 $1.49

Large Double
Grimnak $1.79
Mimring $2.49

BTW: I received the stickers and bases. They look awesome! Thanks! I'll get some comparison pictures up this weekend.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031

Last edited by mac122; July 1st, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:21 PM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Here's a comparison of several base options for customs. Starting at the top and proceeding clockwise:
1. Official Classic base
2. Cavalier's base sticker on a painted Impact Miniatures base
3. New Impact base sticker on a painted Impact Miniatures base
4. Yodajunkie base

While none of the custom options are a "perfect" match for the Classic Heroscape base, each provides a reasonable facsimile and will help your customs fit in aesthetically with your official figures. The stickers from Impact and Cavalier are very similar in color, pattern, and thickness. Here are some pics of an Imperial Stormtrooper on each of the custom bases:
Yodajunkie

Yodajunkie casts his own bases in a brown resin then attaches the base sticker before sending them out. (He also offers Marvel style and a variety of custom colors).
Pros: Base is ready to use. Drill holes for pegs or use a hobby knife to remove the sticker where the figure will attach. Superglue works great to attach the figures. The pattern on the sticker is probably the closest (but not exact) match overall to Classic. Yodajunkie offers all sizes of Heroscape style bases except the small DnD bases that were introduced in Wave 12. Yodajunkie is the only supplier I'm aware of at this time that offers the peanut style bases. You can mix and match colors within lots.
Cons: The base sticker is thick and often difficult to remove just the right amount for glueing. The stickers are not die cut and are sometimes unevenly cut and adhered. I've had several bases arrive with knicks or scratches in the sticker. Also, due to casting method, the thickness and finish of the bases can vary.

Cavalier's sticker

Cavalier, a long-time member of Heroscapers, sells base stickers to help any base look more like Classic Heroscape (Marvel style, too).
Pros: Stickers are a good facsimile for the official sticker and are die-cut, ready to peel-and-stick. These are much easier to cut out spots to attach the figure to the base. Use these on bases from any supplier.
Cons: You'll have to buy and, if you want brown, paint your own bases. And, you'll have to place the stickers yourself. Stickers are only available for the small single size base.

Impact Miniatures' sticker

Impact Miniatures just started offering the base stickers sized to fit their 30mm and 40mm bases. Like the other suppliers, they offer Classic and Marvel style. Impact is exploring the possibility of offering double bases - stay tuned.
Pros: Much like Cavalier's stickers, they are also a great facsimile for the official base sticker. The print quality is a bit sharper than Cavalier's. They are die-cut and ready to peel-and-stick. They are currently available in small and large single sizes. Also, Impact sells bases in the small and large sizes (One-stop-shopping). It's very easy to remove spots for glueing. If you already have a ready supply of bases, Impact offers the stickers separately in 15 or 63 count lots.
Cons: While you can get the bases from Impact when you order stickers, you will have to paint them if you want brown. And, like Cavalier's, you will have to stick them on yourself. Currently not available in the peanut style bases (but they are exploring options).

To give you an idea on cost, here are some comparisons for small, single bases
Quote:
Yodajunkie
10 bases $5.00 plus $2.00 shipping= $0.70 each
50 bases $25.00 plus $2.00 shipping= $0.54 each
100 bases $50.00 plus free shipping= $0.50 each

Cavalier
50 stickers for $10.00 plus free shipping= $0.20 per sticker
60 bases from Impact $8.00 plus $4.00 shipping= $0.20 per base
50 bases/stickers unpainted*= $0.40 each
50 bases/stickers painted*= $0.45 each
100 bases/stickers painted ($20/100 stickers + $18/105 bases)**= $0.42 each
(*10 leftover bases without stickers included in cost)
(**5 leftover bases without stickers included in cost)

Impact Miniatures
15 Stickers/Bases $3.00 plus $4.00 shipping, unpainted= $0.47 each
15 Stickers/Bases painted= $0.52
60 Stickers/Bases $12.00 plus $4.00 shipping, unpainted= $0.27 each
60 Stickers/Bases painted= $0.32 each
105 Stickers/Bases painted $21.00 plus $4.00 shipping= $0.28 each

-Cost for painting is best estimate. Assumes one $4.68 can of spray paint will cover 100 bases.
-Shipping costs based on my zip code. Shipping may vary to different areas
Hope this helps (and I haven't confused anyone).

Edit: In case you were wondering, here's what Cavalier's (left) and Impact's (right) stickers look like on unpainted black bases.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Last edited by mac122; July 2nd, 2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Popsicle stick Admiral

Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Great guide! Just made my order cant wait to see them , now to buy the spray paint
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktroll View Post
Great guide! Just made my order cant wait to see them , now to buy the spray paint
You may have to hunt around at different stores for the paint. I cannot find any Fusion paints at Home Depot or Lowe's now. According to the Krylon Fusion website there are multiple outlets for Fusion (though they still list Home Depot). I haven't had the opportunity to check at the other stores, yet. It can be ordered online, but be careful, some shippers will want to charge "hazardous materials" rates. When I find another outlet, I'll post it.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:21 AM

Quick update: found the Fusion Satin Brown Boots paint at a Wal-Mart today. Not all Wal-Marts carry it, this one had a larger than normal paint department.

Earlier this week I checked a Hobby Lobby and a Sherwin Williams. Both stores carry some Krylon but not Fusion.
------------------
I received some of the large single bases from Impact as well as the Classic and Marvel stickers. I'm in the process of rebasing some figures. I'll post some more photos with comparisons later this week.
Here's a group shot of some of the figures to whet your appetite.

Back row on tiles
AT-43 Assault Goliath on large Yodajunkie Classic base
Mr. Fantastic on small Yodajunkie Marvel base
Front row, left to right
Mechwarrior Scourge on large Impact base with Classic sticker
Batman and Thing on Impact small base with Marvel stickers
Harley Quinn on Impact base with Cavalier Marvel sticker
Star Wars Retail Droid and B3 Ultra Battle Droid on Impact large base with Marvel stickers

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Last edited by mac122; July 15th, 2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:28 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Mac122, thanks oodles for the detailed comparison of bases. Fantastic to have photos of them all together, with extensive pros and cons, and even prices. Hugely helpful.
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:56 AM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Mac122, thanks oodles for the detailed comparison of bases. Fantastic to have photos of them all together, with extensive pros and cons, and even prices. Hugely helpful.
I agree completely. Sadly, I can't rep you at the moment. You deserve it.
Old July 14th, 2011, 01:27 AM

As promised, here are some more comparison pictures of the different custom base options.
Official vs. the Customs - Marvel Style!

Official Venom, Blade on a Yodajunkie base, Harley Quinn on a Cavalier sticker and Impact Miniatures base, and War Machine on an Impact Miniatures sticker and base.

First impressions.
Bases - The Yodajunkie bases are a close match for color and bevel of the Official Marvel. The Yodajunkie bases are shinier, and as you can see from the Blade base, sometimes have imperfections due to the pouring method. The Impact Miniatures bases are a bit darker, but are uniform in color and finish.
Stickers - None of the stickers are an exact match for the Official Marvel, but all offer a reasonable facsimile. To my eye, the Impact and Yodajunkie stickers are a little closer in style to Official.
The Yodajunkie bases come with the stickers already applied. Unfortunately, they are not die-cut and the edges are often a little rough. You'll have to attach Cavalier's and Impact's stickers, but they are die-cut, providing a sharper look. When it's time to attach your figure, it's much easier to remove sections of Cavalier's and Impact's stickers for gluing than from Yodajunkie's.

Blade and Mr. Fantastic on Yodajunkie bases

Beauty(?) and the Beast - Harley Quinn and Hulk using Cavalier's stickers on Impact Miniature bases.

Thing and War Machine on Impact Miniatures' stickers and bases

The cost for these is the same as the Classic style, except you don't have to worry about painting them. Here's the pertinent part of the price comparison:
Quote:
Yodajunkie
10 bases $5.00 plus $2.00 shipping= $0.70 each
50 bases $25.00 plus $2.00 shipping= $0.54 each
100 bases $50.00 plus free shipping= $0.50 each

Cavalier
50 stickers for $10.00 plus free shipping= $0.20 per sticker
60 bases from Impact $8.00 plus $4.00 shipping= $0.20 per base
50 bases/stickers*= $0.40 each
100 bases/stickers painted ($20/100 stickers + $18/105 bases)**= $0.42 each
(*10 leftover bases without stickers included in cost)
(**5 leftover bases without stickers included in cost)

Impact Miniatures
15 Stickers/Bases $3.00 plus $4.00 shipping = $0.47 each
60 Stickers/Bases $12.00 plus $4.00 shipping = $0.27 each
105 Stickers/Bases painted $21.00 plus $4.00 shipping= $0.28 each

-Shipping costs based on my zip code. Shipping may vary to different areas
--------------
Large Single Bases
Yodajunkie and Impact Miniatures offer options for your larger single-space figures as well. But why just tell you when I can show you. Here is a comparison of the Marvel style Yodajunkie base, left, and the Impact Miniatures base and sticker, right.

You'll notice that they are not the same size. Yodajunkie's is a copy of the original Deathwalker base used in the earlier Classic waves. The Impact Miniatures base is 40mm which is pretty much an exact match for the large single bases introduced in the last DnD waves.
Here's a couple large Star Wars droids on some Impact Miniatures' large single bases

(Sorry, I realized after I started this post, I did not have an example figure on Yodajunkie's large Marvel base.)

For further comparison, here are some examples using large single bases in the Classic Scape colors:

And some closer shots
Yodajunkie/Deathwalker size

That's an AT-43 Therian Assault Goliath on the Yodajunkie base.
Usually Yodajunkie's stickers are a bit closer in color and style to Classic. The batch of large singles I ordered has had much more green.

Impact/D2 size

That's a Mechwarrior Scourge Mech next to the Frost Giant.
Impact's stickers don't match exactly, but are of a similar style.

I'll post a price comparison for these tomorrow. It's getting late and I'm nearly dozing off at the computer.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Last edited by mac122; July 15th, 2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:06 AM

Here's the cost comparison I promised on the large bases. The only suppliers I know of that provide large single bases and Heroscape style stickers are Yodajunkie and Impact Miniatures. Note: When you navigate to the Impact site, the prices will be in British Pounds. You will need to register with Impact Miniatures and specify US currency.

Quote:
Large Single Base Price Comparison
Yodajunkie
7 bases for $5.00 + $2.00 shipping = $1.00 per base
35 bases for $25.00 + $2.00 shipping = $0.77 per base
70 bases for $50.00 + free shipping = $0.71 per base

Impact Miniatures
6 bases for $3.00 + $4.00 shipping = $1.17 per base
36 bases for $18.00 + $4.00 shipping = $0.61 per base
72 bases for $36.00 + $4.00 shipping = $0.56 per base
For Classic style, spray painting with Krylon Fusion Satin Boots Brown adds ~$0.05 per base.
Pricewise, if you only need a handful of large bases, Yodajunkie has a slight price advantage. But, once you start bulking up your orders, Impact quickly becomes the best deal.

I've used both of these bases and both have pros and cons depending on what you are looking for in a custom base. If you are a stickler for original official style, then Yodajunkie's copies of the DW9K base may be for you. The drawback is the inconsistent appearance and uneven cut of the sticker. Impact's won't match the original, but are a very close match for the D2/D3 bases introduced in the last waves. You'll have to paint them to get a Classic Scape brown, but unpainted they blend in with the Marvel bases quite well.
------------------------
At this time, Yodajunkie is the only supplier I'm aware of that offers the large and small peanut shaped double base. They suffer from the same inconsistencies as the other sizes, but short of cannibalizing double space official figures, they are the only way to go for official looking customs. I've used a dozen or more of these and have been quite happy with them.

I've had contact with Tom at Impact. They are exploring options for a peanut style base. Not sure when they'll be able to offer them. Stay tuned.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:40 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Any more news from Tom at Impact about large Peanut bases?

I'd buy 100 in a heartbeat.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards