Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Just ask the DnD community.

Perhaps going to one of the non-Wizards D&D forums will get you more responses too.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/index.php
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Perhaps going to one of the non-Wizards D&D forums will get you more responses too.

Good call, Ona - I was trying to remember the name of that forum (which I'm told is the biggest online D&D forum) but my memory was failing me. GL, you may want to try over there as well.

EDIT: Looks like there is at least one thread there discussing D&Dscape already.

Last edited by Sherman Davies; October 10th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

It looks like they think its nice but not revolutinary. Several of them said they already play with HS tiles for outdoor encounters and uneven ground. There is a little debate over hexes vs squares and how to make the hexes work with their system.
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

There weren't a lot of posts in that thread which Sherman Davies linked, but those who did were remarkably positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:14 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Yeah, not too many responses, but what little there is was positive.

-insert signature here-
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

Good call, Ona - I was trying to remember the name of that forum (which I'm told is the biggest online D&D forum) but my memory was failing me. GL, you may want to try over there as well.

EDIT: Looks like there is at least one thread there discussing D&Dscape already.
In that case, I really don't see a reason to start a new thread for it then, but at the same time I don't feel that its appropriate to post in their current one. The opinions have already been sought out and some given, so I don't think a post from me would draw more opinions than that.

Unless there is an overwhelming push for me to continue, I'm going to rest my search for DnDers opinions.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

What would we think if it were the other way around?

A d20-based role playing game is introduced, which allows you to role play as your very own Kyrie, Soulborgs, or Vipers, or whatever, and you fought lots of Marro.

How many of us would be super excited about that?

I think a lot of us would probably just shrug our shoulders and get on playing the game we usually play. Maybe some of would by the books so we could read up on the backstories or Thorumun's journel-esque entries in there, and find some cool art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:24 AM

Ivellius knows what's in an order marker Ivellius knows what's in an order marker

Well, I'd have to strongly consider buying all of that. In fact, you've given me an idea...

Marro Drone
Humanoid (Marro)
  • +2 Constitution, -2 Intellect. Drones are bred to be tough but dull-witted.
  • Medium: As Medium creatures, Marro Drones have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
  • Drone base land speed is 30 feet.
  • Darkvision: Drones can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Drones can function just fine with no light at all.
  • Water Strength: Whenever a Drone is in water at least knee-deep, it gains Fast Healing 1. This ability persists until the Drone is removed from water.
  • Hive Senses: A Drone gains a +1 insight bonus to its initiative rolls for every Marro within 30 feet, up to a maximum of +4.
  • Automatic Languages: Marro. Bonus Languages: Raptorian, Primadon, Vipense. Drones rarely learn languages beyond that of their Hive, but they occasionally know the dialects of the other races of Marr.
  • Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass Drone's fighter class does not count when determining whether it takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
Huh.

Last edited by Ivellius; October 11th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:23 AM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
Well, I'd have to strongly consider buying all of that. In fact, you've given me an idea...

Marro Drone

Humanoid (Marro)
  • +2 Constitution, -2 Intellect. Drones are bred to be tough but dull-witted.
  • Medium: As Medium creatures, Marro Drones have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
  • Drone base land speed is 30 feet.
  • Darkvision: Drones can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Drones can function just fine with no light at all.
  • Water Strength: Whenever a Drone is in water at least knee-deep, it gains Fast Healing 1. This ability persists until the Drone is removed from water.
  • Hive Senses: A Drone gains a +1 insight bonus to its initiative rolls for every Marro within 30 feet, up to a maximum of +4.
  • Automatic Languages: Marro. Bonus Languages: Raptorian, Primadon, Vipense. Drones rarely learn languages beyond that of their Hive, but the occasionally know the dialects of the other races of Marr.
  • Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass Drone's fighter class does not count when determining whether it takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
Huh.
Actually, this piques my interest. I'd be up for making my own Marro characters, definitely.

Pro-Fu-Ra, rise!

Proto's Custom Maps and Units!
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:47 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
What would we think if it were the other way around?
With out looking at the direction of the game I wouldn't worry to much. I can say that I wouldn't get into it because there is simply to much to learn (unless my assumptions are wrong), and buying all those books doesn't seem very fun in my eyes.

How does DnD minis even work? If they are still telling a story and there is still a DM, how are minis incorporated into the game? Does it just bring a visual aspect with no real bearing on the game?

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:47 AM

blooded scion is surprisingly tart

It's funny I had my mind set on D&D into Heroscape, not heroscape into D&D.I think I sense a conversion book down the line if this master set does well.I was amazed when they had a D&D cartoon rpg book in with the dvd boxed set I always wanted that energy bow the archer had and to beatdown VENGER!!!
Although I'm stuck on 3.5 until 4th edition gets a BOOK of VILE DARKNESS.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:38 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
How does DnD minis even work? If they are still telling a story and there is still a DM, how are minis incorporated into the game? Does it just bring a visual aspect with no real bearing on the game?
In D&D, like most RPGs, minis are used during combat situations to clarify the positions of the combatants, determine movement, distances, etc... Using minis in this way is usually optional, but ever since D&D third edition minis have become much more heavily encouraged by the rules, partly because it boosts sales of minis and partly because most RPG players used them anyway.

If you're asking about the D&D skirmish game, that was a tactical minis combat game, just like Heroscape. It wasn't an RPG at all and didn't involve a DM or storytelling in any way, as far as I know.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion