Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 12th, 2018, 06:44 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!
Re: LC's Customs- Arrr... thar be Pirates here! 12/06/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I've got to throw my hat in with those that don't like the theme of Water Sneak or Sea Legs. Many pirates and sailors of that period didn't even know how to swim. They sailed on the sea, but they would typically have avoided getting *in* the sea. I think the sea element of pirates is very hard to capture on a Heroscape card, and probably not worth the trouble.

It seems that what is appealing about pirates is some combination of the following:
* independence from authority
* free spirit
* ignoring the rules
* unconventional
* cutthroat nature
* fighting
* getting rich off of treasure

etc. Trying to tie them to the water doesn't make sense. Think of Treasure Island, for instance--most of the most interesting parts of the book happen on the *island*. I would argue that much of the exciting action in the Pirates of the Caribbean likewise happens either *on* the ship or on land somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Agree with Cap's post. It wouldn't bother me if a pirate card or two had a water themed power, since they do come from the sea, but not every pirate card should feel like they need to have a water based power. I mean, Viking raiders also came from the sea (or down the river in Eastern Europe) but we don't feel the need to make all water focused Viking cards. I would actually fear an over reliance on water tiles would make the cards unplayable when water isn't prominently featured on a map.

Wow, thank you for the input!
I cannot argue with your points (and don't even want to)

It really isn't even necessary to have some common ability among them. My thought was that it would be something that would set them apart from "just another fighter" units and have the flavor of pirates. The synergy between Calico Jack and his crew is an example of this- their cutthroat gang-up ambush and out-number tactics.

The "independence from authority" @capsocrates mentioned above is intriguing to me. You have given me something to think about and I greatly appreciate that!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards