Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 13th, 2015, 10:37 AM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Horned Skull Brutes

And that's where we differ. When we play, we designate which figures are moving zero. We use "activate". So we move the figures that move, and say which are moving zero. Then we would pounce or attack. Or in this case, barge, then attack. I will have to go back and see if this is explained in the rules somewhere or if it is just our style of play. ( when I am not working 12 hr days )
Old May 13th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

That sounds like a house rule, Hose. House rules are great and this one is intuitive, but that's what it is.

Also, we're having a small tournament in Savage, Maryland, this coming weekend. It would be a long haul for you but I don't want you to think you're not invited. It would be great to see you guys again.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker

Thanks, but I will be working We would like to get down that way again sometime.
From the FAQ:
Does each individual member of the squad move and attack before the next one, or do they all move, then all attack in turn?
First you may move any or all Squad figures shown on your chosen Army Card (up to the figure limit on that Army Card), if you want to. Then after all desired movement, you may attack with those figures.

It's the "attack with THOSE figures" that we based this on, I think. We had to know which ones were moving, even if it was zero.

So, if you had sixteen common squad figures and you moved two out of four squad figures, do you attack with those two and any other two that didn't move?

I find it fascinating how different locales have different rules/styles/commonly accepted practices/ whatever you want to call them.
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yes. This isn't a localized thing. It's been discussed before, as @dok pointed out with the ruling on the Wolves of Badru.

The way you play is a perfectly sensible house rule, but your style is the variation, not mine. I know a guy who always rolls for drain with the Stingers, because he reads the card that it's always something you do. He knows it's his little house rule, but that's what he does, even at tournaments. It's just something he does. It's fine.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:14 PM

I completely missed that conversation. Given that information, I would think you could wait to see the results of the engagement strike. Any of the unmoved brutes would be eligible to attack, so any of the unmoved brutes would be eligible to BiB. I know, once again what I think... But it is logical.
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:33 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Perhaps the simple way to phrase what I'm getting at is this question:
Is getting to decide which figures you want to activate in the middle of Barge into Battle and different than getting to decide which figures you want to activate in the middle of your attack action?
@R˙chean ?
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:43 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What a weird question. In fact, it makes me feel like I've been playing scape wrong all along. With a four man common squad, I always do the "move two guys, then attack with those two (if possible) and attack with any other two I want," but it seems like I should be designating which other two are moving 0.

I haven't read too much into it, but I'm inclined to think that you would have to announce who's "moving 0" first, if we want to be rules lawyers about it.

Is there a thread or post where it was decided that you can take a turn with a 4 man squad, move+attack with two, but then attack with any other two without having to announce that they moved 0? It certainly allows the player to be more flexible if they have many possible targets in range.
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
What a weird question. In fact, it makes me feel like I've been playing scape wrong all along. With a four man common squad, I always do the "move two guys, then attack with those two (if possible) and attack with any other two I want," but it seems like I should be designating which other two are moving 0.
Well, most of the time that's perfectly fine do to it like that. It just seems like there are a couple situations where it may be iffy to do so.
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:57 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose View Post
Does each individual member of the squad move and attack before the next one, or do they all move, then all attack in turn?
First you may move any or all Squad figures shown on your chosen Army Card (up to the figure limit on that Army Card), if you want to. Then after all desired movement, you may attack with those figures.

It's the "attack with THOSE figures" that we based this on, I think. We had to know which ones were moving, even if it was zero.
The originally answer on the very first FAQ was worded like this:
First you may move any or all Squad figures shown on your chosen Army Card, if you want to. Then after all desired movement, you may then attack with any or all figures on your chosen Army Card.
I believe the change from that wording was to convey that the ones that did move were being designated for the attack phase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose View Post
So, if you had sixteen common squad figures and you moved two out of four squad figures, do you attack with those two and any other two that didn't move?
Yes. This has been the way I have played it and seen it played for 10 years. Now whether that is a result of the old HQ or .net influence, I don't know. Saying that is the way we have always done it is a lame answer; as is saying that is the way Craig Van Ness does it. I do not have the inclination to try to comb through this site or the way back machine to see how it came to be this way; at this point, I just know that it is this way. I am sure the early designers and play testers conveyed it through events and gatherings or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Same goes, of course, for other common squads that don't move a full squad. If I bayonet charge with one 10th regiment and don't move any others, nobody asks me which ones are "moving zero". I pick them when I attack.
Right. It really helps gets the most out of a turn. In a game where you can lose turns or even entire rounds of play, I think it is the correct and more compelling way to play it.

Quote:
What makes Barge into Battle different? Or is it not different, and therefore I can choose which unmoved Brutes are activating and Barging into Battle after the first one Barges?
I am racking my scape brain to think if there is any reason it should be different other than we got it wrong for 10 years. It wouldn't even have to be after the first one barges. You could save the one that moved until after you resolved the 2 that didn't move.
Quote:
Perhaps the simple way to phrase what I'm getting at is this question:
Is getting to decide which figures you want to activate in the middle of Barge into Battle andy different than getting to decide which figures you want to activate in the middle of your attack action?
@R˙chean ?
I don't think it is any different.
You only moved 1 during movement. You attempt barge with one that didn't move but dies to engagement strike. You successfully barge in there with another that didn't move. You are left with 2 attack options because the 3rd attack died with the engagement strike.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; May 15th, 2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: :-|
Old May 15th, 2015, 02:29 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Thank you R˙. I figured that was the case but we could see the argument that it was different for a special power.

If this is deemed worthy of a R&C, it could read something like this:
Q: If I move with fewer than three Horned Skull Brutes, can I choose to Barge into Battle with a Brute that has not moved yet?
A: Yes.
"After moving and before attacking" refers to when in the turn you use the power, but moving is not required to use it. If you moved fewer than three Brutes, you may activate any Horned Skull Brutes that did not move while using Barge into Battle, until you have activated a total of three Brutes this turn.
Old May 18th, 2015, 02:33 PM

I didn't really get into scape until the last d&d waves. Maybe even the last one. So I missed a lot of this early information. thanks dad_scaper and R˙chean. Very enlightening. I don't think it makes too much of a difference most of the time, but I can see where this really matters when it comes to BiB.
Old May 18th, 2015, 04:38 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

This discussion got me thinking about something else. I think you should have to complete all your moves before rolling for any relevant engagement strikes. Otherwise you could end two or more figures movements on the same space. Is that how everyone plays it, move all your figures first, then roll for engagement strikes, then attack. Or do some people move one figure, roll for engagement strike, then move another figure?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units