Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Silent but deadly

Stop giggling. I'm not talking about flatulence.

I'm talking about the fact there's almost zero correlation between post count and Heroscape playing ability.

Sure, there are some people like myself, Skyknight, R˙chean, and Revdyer, who have a lot of posts and can usually hold their own in tournament games.

And there are guys like Ollie, lonewolf, LongHeroscaper, and Sisyphus who analyze data and make tables to help others out, who have moderate post counts and decent tournament records.

And there are people like MattserTruckRally, Mantrainchoochoo, and spider_poison, who, despite relatively low post counts, have become pretty well known within the community by simply winning.

But there are a pretty large number of good players out there that no one has really heard of, or are mostly known within their local tournament scene.

Here in Illinois, I've got to mention jdtenor. He's a very friendly guy who likes to play Vydar ranged pod style armies, only with Major Q10 instead of Q9. I think I've only beaten him when his dice completely crap out on him. He won the Big Ol Monster battle this year, and his son won Vydar's Champion award in general wars.

My very first loss ever in a tournament came at the hands of gibberish_47. That kid (I'm guessing he's 18 or 19 now) can play. He has beaten me in both of our meetings, both times with a Knights/Mass/Gilbert army. Before Gilbert came out, I heard that he used to play similar armies with Romans and Marcus instead of the Knights. At an earlier tourney, he lost just barely to spider_poison on points. He might not be the leader, but he's likely the best player from "team nowhere" in Minnesota.

Momo_the_monkey is also a good player. I think he has a pretty tough act to follow, being spider's little brother and all. Half the time, people refer to him that way too, but John's a good player in his own right.

scaper dude, lonewolf's son, is really laid back but is also a solid competitor. I beat him when we played, but it was during Unique Hero so it hardly counts. These last three guys are probably the best players under 20 that I've seen.

Eirikr posts a decent amount in certain sections of the forums, but this Canadian viking isn't exactly a household name. He has beaten me both times that we've been matched against each other in the main event at GenCon. I've made a few mistakes each game, but he hasn't. He, lonewolf, gibberish, and Matthias Maccabeus are the only people who are 2-0 against me in tournament play.

matrixrenegade doesn't play in many tournaments except for the GenCon ones, but he always does pretty well. He was top 16 with a very old school Knights/Krav/Viking champs army last year, and won the Heat of Battle tourney the year before that. I was 1-1 against him last year, but I don't think I saw him at GC this year. (Anyone seen him lately?)

Phloid, of Phloid and D man, is a very quiet and methodical player, but he always plays a top notch army and plays it well. He doesn't play in every tournament, and mostly just practices against his 9 year old son and Wytefang... I think, but he's a force to be reckoned with in Minnesota.

queenmojo is pretty new to Heroscape tournaments, but he's really good. He has gotten 1st or 2nd place in the few tournaments that he has played in up in the Madison area, including beating me once on the worst map for him to face my army, and losing a close game to nwojedi. I have no doubt that he would fare pretty well at GenCon as well. He and his friends obviously practice for tournaments and enjoy playing the game too!

RocDoc has zero posts, but he went all the way out from Colorado to GenCon this year! And he placed in the top 16. And he lost to me in General Wars, but mostly because it was a bad map for him and his dice were bad on the one turn where they needed to be good. He did everything right.

So, who are the quiet monsters in your area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; August 31st, 2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added matrixrenegade
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: Silent but deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
So, who are the quiet monsters in your area?
Kinseth (does he count as quiet?) and Tim Sweeney are two players in the northeast that don't post much but have very high win percentages. Onacara won the first NESA Cup, but he definitely doesn't count as quiet. A player I've not yet met that consistently posts good records in nearby events is Tom.

As far as personal nemeses go, Bengi is mine. I'm 1-18 or something ridiculous against him.
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:41 AM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Tom. I don't think he's been to a non-gencon tournament yet where he didn't finish top three. It's not like he's silent or anything, but he does kind of stick to certain areas of the boards.

Also, Jackall goes 4-1 in just about every event I've ever scene him at.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:04 AM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

hex706f726368 is one of our local members who is definitely second day main event material. He is an expert player and army builder, his only downfall is that he has to roll the dice to win and that often doesn't work out for him!

Quote:
And there are guys like Ollie, lonewolf, LongHeroscaper, and Sisyphus who analyze data and make tables to help others out, who have moderate post counts and decent tournament records.

Decent tournament record = 86% win ratio.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

I'm definately in the loud but harmless area. I tend to play weird armies most of the time as I play more for fun than glory, and when I do play good armies I generally go 4:1 or 3:2.

Either way, I'm definately a person who posts a lot and plays moderately well. I placed 19th (or was it 23rd) or something at the Gencon Main Event, and I placed in the top 6 in another. All the rest was 3:2 and one was 1:2 before I quit.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:06 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
hex706f726368 is one of our local members who is definitely second day main event material. He is an expert player and army builder, his only downfall is that he has to roll the dice to win and that often doesn't work out for him!

Quote:

Decent tournament record = 86% win ratio.
But when you first posted, it was 90%. You're slipping old man.

I was making a general statement to include a number of guys. Believe it or not, I don't actually know every Heroscape player's tournament record.

It's nice to know that I'm a big dog. I'm just never going to buy those T-shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:14 AM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
But when you first posted, it was 90%. You're slipping old man.
I was going to lay claim to the best overall tournament record, but then I went to calculate SP's and he is still over 90%.

I don't think it is so much that I am slipping, I think everyone else is getting that much better!
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:51 AM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

I wouldn't put myself in the same league with lonewolf. In fact, I wouldn't consider myself anything until I play GenCon, or something of the same magnitude. Texas's tournaments are big, but GenCon is the ultimate.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:54 AM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker

I would have to include Djnair hasn't posted yet but in 2008 when we went to Gencon last minute we played in 6 of win a waves (no tickets except above cursed ground) he won 1 and lost in the finals on the other. He also went 5-0 in above cursed ground and had a top 5 finish and got a prize 5 players went 5-0 but had better points. That is how I finally got Aquilla's Alliance a gift to the group. I went to 3 win a wave finals but didn't win any of them good thing we always split the prizes before the finals started. I would hate to face him in tournament, we consider him the better player in the group, we'll at least not for this year.

Last edited by jdtenor; September 11th, 2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Djnair went 5-0 in above cursed ground
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Two names come to mind for me. One is fomox. He's only played in a handful of tournaments but he was in the top 5 at TTO IV and got 2nd at the last Nebraska Skirmish. In play-testing I think he beats me about 50%(maybe more) of the time. He's always the one I run my armies by before I go to a tourney. In fact he was going to run the same exact main event army as I did at Gen Con, and I am willing to bet he would have made day 2.

The other in one of my teens, Ian. He's also only played in a handful of tourneys. He was in the top 4 at the Nebraska Skirmish last year and he beat Kahrma at the last KC tourney that he attended.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Tuba and I have never been to a tournament. He is going to the MN tourney in September. I'm not.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Tuba and I have never been to a tournament. He is going to the MN tourney in September. I'm not.
This has what to do with the converstation at hand???

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online