Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Possible partial cover rules?

Okay, so in skeletor's thread regarding the jungle expansion set that should be making an appearance at San Diego Comicon, there's been some discussion about the jungle trees that will be included in the expansion. As skeletor describes them, they may be trees that figs will be able to see through, prompting some of the people here to speculate that partial cover rules may be introduced to the game. I'm personally opposed to cluttering up Heroscape with too many additional rules, but am especially against partial cover rules, as they would complicate things too much and lead to arguments about line of sight. What does everyone else think of this possibility?
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Other members have found "If they can only see 50% or less, roll +1 defense" effective.

Personally, I like the idea of "If they can only see an arm/leg/tail (i.e. not torso or head), roll +1 defense." Gets across the difficulty of trying to kill someone by shooting them in the foot, IMO.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Possible partial cover rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies
Okay, so in skeletor's thread regarding the jungle expansion set that should be making an appearance at San Diego Comicon, there's been some discussion about the jungle trees that will be included in the expansion. As skeletor describes them, they may be trees that figs will be able to see through, prompting some of the people here to speculate that partial cover rules may be introduced to the game. I'm personally opposed to cluttering up Heroscape with too many additional rules, but am especially against partial cover rules, as they would complicate things too much and lead to arguments about line of sight. What does everyone else think of this possibility?
Doubt that they will introduce this officially.
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
There has always been partial cover with the already existing terrain. Why all the suddeen would partial cover rules be introduced into the game?

It would have to be retroactive to the beginning and apply to all terrain.

It wouldn't make any sense to have partial cover rules only when only using this type of terrain.

That is purely speculation by gamers who want to trick up Heroscape into something complex. It isn't going to happen.

This is not an element that will be officially introduced into the game.

But of course I could be wrong.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
... but am especially against partial cover rules, as they would complicate things too much and lead to arguments about line of sight. What does everyone else think of this possibility?
Up to this point, has there been any official rule too difficult to follow? I understand what you're saying about cluttering up the game with too many rules. However, the rules implemented thus far have been so easy to follow. Sure, there were quite a few rules questions when the castle set was released. Though once people understood ladder movement, the 'destructible object' mechanic, etc., all was copasetic in the land of Heroscape. The rules could even be so simple as to only apply to the jungle trees, and nothing else.

That said, as much as I would LOVE partial cover rules of some kind to be introduced, I'm not holding my breath for an official rules set. But I do want to know what new mechanic (if any) this set will introduce to the game. I'm all for making my maps look pretty with trees and such. But I also want some bang for my buck and have the pretty terrain actually DO something new and fun not yet introduced to the game.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p
Quote:
... but am especially against partial cover rules, as they would complicate things too much and lead to arguments about line of sight. What does everyone else think of this possibility?
Up to this point, has there been any official rule too difficult to follow? I understand what you're saying about cluttering up the game with too many rules. However, the rules implemented thus far have been so easy to follow. Sure, there were quite a few rules questions when the castle set was released. Though once people understood ladder movement, the 'destructible object' mechanic, etc., all was copasetic in the land of Heroscape. The rules could even be so simple as to only apply to the jungle trees, and nothing else.

That said, as much as I would LOVE partial cover rules of some kind to be introduced, I'm not holding my breath for an official rules set. But I do want to know what new mechanic (if any) this set will introduce to the game. I'm all for making my maps look pretty with trees and such. But I also want some bang for my buck and have the pretty terrain actually DO something new and fun not yet introduced to the game.
The problem with a partial cover rule is that it should retroactively apply to previous terrain, as well as figures blocking LOS. Only a new master set is likely to do that, and I would expect it to be a rerelease of RotV, not even in SotM.

Old July 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Will T is surprisingly tart
It has always been impossible for 'scapers to agree on how/if partial coverage rules should/could be implemented. I am sure Hasbro will not implement them, because it would necessarily introduce more subjectivity and rule complexity.
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM

darth_stalker Woo who?
It is also impossible for two scapers to agree whether a figure is 49% covered or 51% covered. As Helen Keller would say, "I don't see that happening."

Help me doctor, I think I have hypochondria!
As the Chinese zombie said..."Blains!"
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:55 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_stalker
It is also impossible for two scapers to agree whether a figure is 49% covered or 51% covered. As Helen Keller would say, "I don't see that happening."
Yup. Subjectivity is what would kill most versions of partial cover rules.
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM

AlCapwned has disabled reputation
For those who are concerned with how they would introduce a rule in an expansion set, they have SotM coming soon. For all we know, there could be more new rules (or at least clarifications no doubt provoked by us).

Also, they could base partial cover around the figure's sight point (the green dot).
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCapwned
For those who are concerned with how they would introduce a rule in an expansion set, they have SotM coming soon. For all we know, there could be more new rules (or at least clarifications no doubt provoked by us).

Also, they could base partial cover around the figure's sight point (the green dot).
I suppose SotM might come out before the Jungle set, which would make partial LOS terrain in the jungle set feasible.

Old July 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCapwned

So...what...you can only get a direct shot on a figure if you can see it's eyes? I don't think that would work. Everyone would just advance their figures backwards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion