Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old May 11th, 2016, 01:34 AM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Gen Con 2016

Thanks to the many, many suggestions about events this year. We were not able to take every suggestion, but have made several changes:

More events!
In the morning (10am-3:30pm) time slots, we'll be running 3 events simultaneously to give more choices. Each event will hold 16 players (48 total). This lets us try our first ever Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers event. We hope the 3-at-a-time idea works well and lets us add more of your event ideas in the future.

More prizes!
We ordered a LOT more dice. There will be dice for the winners, but also for sportsmanship and fun, innovative army choices. We want to reward winning, but also the kind of army selection and sportsmanship that makes the events fun for everyone.

Learn to Play!
This is not for this site so much as to reach out to some new players. We supply the figures, dice, etc, they just need to come and have fun learning the best game in the history of the universe. Tell your friends!

Open Play!
This isn't new, but we will have slots for both Heroscape and Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers Open Play. (The current titles don't contain the words "Open Play", but should soon.) If one of the events fills up, shoot me a PM and I should be able to increase spots. (Gencon's . . . interesting . . . accounting makes it better not to have unsold tickets.)
IF YOU WISH WE HAD TAKEN ONE OF YOUR IDEAS FOR AN EVENT, PLEASE TAKE THE INITIATIVE TO PLAN IT FOR Open Play! We will provide prize support for these events.

Different (Higher) Point Totals and Hexes!
This was the request we got the most often. This can, potentially, lead to longer games. The hex increase is generally modest, which I think is a bigger contributor to longer games than higher points. But we'll see! I suspect it will be fun to mix it up a bit.

----

Want to help GM? PM me ASAP with your name and email address that you use for Gencon registration, and with the events you can help GM for.

Thanks for all your input, and we hope to see you at Gencon this year!

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.

Last edited by fomox; July 25th, 2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:35 AM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Gen Con 2016

Events list (in progress)

Thursday, August 4 2016

11am-3:30pm
Flex Tourney
Pre-drafted Heroscape army (18 figure, 450 point limit). New matches start as old ones finish. You may play as many matches as you can fit in, and can come and go as you please. Want to run to the dealer hall first? Just start when you come back! Each match played gives 1 point, each win an additional point; up to a max of 8 points. Tourney winner decided by point-weighted drawing at the end.

4pm-8:30pm
Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers Tourney
6-round, 16-player tournament. Bring a pre-drafted army and spell deck (500 point limit). Games will be played on 3-D (Heroscape) hex maps.

4x400
Open to all players, 16 positions. 4-round swiss tournament. Players bring four pre-drafted 400 point Heroscape armies (No Marvel). Any figure used in an army cannot be used in any other armies. Army cannot exceed 18 figures.

Monster Mash
Open to all players, 16 positions. 4-round swiss tournament. Players bring a pre-drafted 600 point Heroscape army (no Marvel). The army MUST include at least 450 points worth of Large and/or Huge figures. Army cannot exceed 18 figures.

9pm-11pm
Learn to Play

9pm-1am
Heroscape Open Play (Currently incorrectly labeled as only "Heroscape")
Open play. No structure required, just come and play. Often players plan their own mini-events during the Open Play. See the forums at heroscapers.com for details, or to organize your own.

Dok is organizing a Reverse Draft tournament on Thursday during open play. Click HERE for details!

Friday, August 5 2016

10am-2:30pm
Uniques Only
4-round, 16-player tournament. Bring a predrafted Heroscape army (18 figure, 400 point limit), using only unique figures (squads or heroes). No uncommons, no Marvel.

Heat of the Battle
Open to all players, 16 positions. 4 round swiss with one game final, if necessary. Players bring a pre-drafted 500 point Heroscape army, no Marvel. Army size is limited to 24 hexes. Players take turns placing a card's worth of units, unengaged, on an empty space. Squad figures must be placed adjacent to other friendly squad figures just placed. Battle begins after all units have been placed.

Additional information: Players will roll the D20 to see who places their first card's worth of units. The D20 roll winner can defer, if they choose. The player who places units second will have initiative for the first round.

4x500
Open to all players, 16 positions. 4-round swiss tournament. Players bring four pre-drafted 500 point Heroscape armies (No Marvel). Any figure used in an army cannot be used in any other armies. Army cannot exceed 18 figures.

10am and 12pm
Learn to Play

3pm-8:30pm
Main Event
Pre-drafted Heroscape army, (18 figure, 600 point limit, no Marvel). Open to all players, 48 positions. 5-round Swiss style tournament with the top 16 players advancing to Day 2. The tournament is played in one hour rounds. See Day 2 for additional details and Day 2 rules.

9pm-1am
Heroscape Open Play (Currently incorrectly labeled as only "Heroscape")
Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers Open Play (Currently incorrectly labeled as only "Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers")
Open play. No structure required, just come and play. Often players plan their own mini-events during the Open Play. See the forums at heroscapers.com for details, or to organize your own.

Megasilver is hosting a C3V/SoV tournament during this session of open play. Click here for details!

Saturday, August 6 2016

10am-2:30pm

4x300
Open to all players, 16 positions. 4-round swiss tournament. Players bring four pre-drafted 300 point Heroscape armies, no Marvel. Any figure used in an army cannot be used in any other armies. Army cannot exceed 18 figures.

Kids Tourney
Kids 12 years or younger only. Players bring a pre-drafted army (500 point, 16 figure limit, Marvel allowed). 1 hour rounds. Prizes will be awarded.

Day 2
Only for the top 16 players from Day 1 of the Main Event. Players bring the same army from day 1. Reverse the whip: you play each opponents army; they play yours.

No prizes just for making Day 2, so if you bring an overpowered army and lose in the first round, tough noogies.

3pm-8:30pm
General Wars
5-rounds. Predrafted army (24 hex, 660 point limit), must all be from the same General. 48 positions.

Sunday, August 7 2016

10am - 2pm
Team Up
4-round. Predrafted Heroscape army (24 hex, 800 point limit, No Marvel), where each player must control within 4 hexes and 100 points of their teammate. Each player must buy a ticket. (2 per team). 16 team slots (32 players)

---
Tournaments match up players (or teams) with similar records. So, 3-0 players vs 3-0 players, 1-3 with 1-3, etc. If there are uneven numbers, a 2-1 may be placed with a 1-2, etc. To decide these things, we will use point differential from previous matches using full-card scoring. Games that end on time will also use full-card scoring.

Same deal with deciding who makes Day 2 of "main event". On day 2 itself, we will seed by win record, then have 1 play 16, etc.

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.

Last edited by fomox; July 25th, 2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:35 AM

Fire Isles

Flash Fire

Quasatch Playground

Burial Marsh

Vestige

Yes, those towers are topless.

Wendigo

Normal snow, normal ice

(Learn to Play maps will likely not be from this list.)

Glyph Pool:

Healer
D20
Unique Attack
Wound
Move
Initiative

When maps have been built, glyphs will randomly be placed at each map. These glyphs will not change once placed. (The AotP event will have AotP glyphs placed in the same positions as the heroscape glyphs.)

Last edited by fomox; July 25th, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Well, sure, but what's on August 7?

Thanks for running it this year, fomox!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I will most likely be hosting my event on Friday, but I'm going to wait and make sure I sign up for my Thursday event before I commit to it.
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Well, I'm glad you removed the prizes for making Day 2, and changed up the points and figure limit. That could convince me to try play the Main Event this year; we'll see.
Old May 11th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Excited for a 600 point Main Event. Lots of room to play around in builds.

Is it correct to assume that all events that don't explicitly say "no Marvel" (Flex, 4x400, Monster Mash, Uniques Only, 4x500, 4x300) have Marvel allowed?
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I will most likely be hosting my event on Friday, but I'm going to wait and make sure I sign up for my Thursday event before I commit to it.
No worries, just shoot me a link to the thread when you decide and I'll post it up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Well, I'm glad you removed the prizes for making Day 2, and changed up the points and figure limit. That could convince me to try play the Main Event this year; we'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Excited for a 600 point Main Event. Lots of room to play around in builds.
Glad to hear it. Thanks to both of you for your input on these and other events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Is it correct to assume that all events that don't explicitly say "no Marvel" (Flex, 4x400, Monster Mash, Uniques Only, 4x500, 4x300) have Marvel allowed?

Sorry for the confusion on that. Marvel is allowed in the Kids Tourney and the Flex Tourney. Not in the other events.

(I'd like having some marvel events, but my sense is that most prefer or strongly prefer not to have it.)

Old May 11th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Thanks again for taking lead this year fomox. It all looks great except that there's no knights only event...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 11th, 2016, 04:31 PM

stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Thanks again for taking lead this year fomox. It all looks great except that there's no knights only event...
Rats...

I found the perfect trophy for that event

Old May 11th, 2016, 09:30 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Intriguing

Slightly worried someone might take advantage of things going to time but for what I generally like to do more points is better.

A little sad to not see a draft, take 2, atypical non prebuilt event but there's still plenty to whet my teeth on.

Thanks for putting this on guys.

~Dysole, excited for her second Gencon
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: Intriguing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I'd like having some marvel events, but my sense is that most prefer or strongly prefer not to have it.)
I'm in the camp that doesn't want to see Marvel, so that's why I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Slightly worried someone might take advantage of things going to time but for what I generally like to do more points is better.
I think the most egregious stall-to-time-win-on-points figures, Mezzos and Rats, get a lot harder to use at higher point totals. Most armies can fit in a special attack, and that kind of kills their stall potential. We will see. I hope that no players would intentionally create armies for the sake of winning on time.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con