Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM

harry Woo who?
Question how to host a game?

I' ve been playing the game for about 2 years. I have only played with family members. I hope being a member of this site will put me in contact with other area people who will want to play.
my question is how do you go about hosting a game? Do you go by the official rules and develop house rules where the official rules seem vague?And what about custom characters. I am very sceptical about playing with custom characters. I must admit i have some custom characters myself. And i know they can present complications. but I don't want to discourage potential players by outlawing customs.
so if any one has any advice on hosting games let me know
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: how to host a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I' ve been playing the game for about 2 years. I have only played with family members. I hope being a member of this site will put me in contact with other area people who will want to play.
my question is how do you go about hosting a game? Do you go by the official rules and develop house rules where the official rules seem vague?And what about custom characters. I am very sceptical about playing with custom characters. I must admit i have some custom characters myself. And i know they can present complications. but I don't want to discourage potential players by outlawing customs.
so if any one has any advice on hosting games let me know
1. Stick to the official rules and in case of uncertainty, check the Heroscape Advanced FAQ or this site.

2. Be extremely careful in allowing custom units. They need to be rigorously tested to prevent any issues. When I am playing with my son, we use customs sometimes; when we play with groups we do not.
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Friendly games are a great place to test customs.

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Friendly games are a great place to test customs.

Brandon
Not for the first few times with briefly known people.

harry, you may want to be a little bit more specific about your location so that local people on this site can make contact with you. Good luck finding new playmates .

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
harry, you may want to be a little bit more specific about your location so that local people on this site can make contact with you...
Hogwarts? You'll need owls.

Old September 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM

harry Woo who?

sorry about not posting my location. this is really my first time posting anything. so it is taking a while and help from my wife. but now my location is up.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM

harry Woo who?
Question Re: how to host a game?

my concerns for customs is based on my recent experiences. when playing with family members they tend to be more patient. we a currently playin a game with aliens vs predators vs mechs. there are so many variables when trying to create balanced character and teams. I gave the speed and defence to aliens, i gave predators attack and stealth and the mechs range and defense. the predators so far have been nearly all destroyed.
I have often made my favorites characters very powerful althought not intentionally. on e exanple is the custom of yoda with a life of 9.
so i guess what should be the rules with customs and making them balanced.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Spend some time in the Custom Units & Army Cards subforum. Especially looking at some of the stickied threads.
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

It's great to hear the you want to play with more people, harry. I hope you can quickly get in touch with some good folks. I think you'll find that the game will "open up" a great deal, even without introducing any custom figures at all. Just playing new people means you will see the game played in new ways.

Another way to meet people to play with, by the way, is to watch the EVENTS section to see if there are any gatherings within travel distance for you.

Welcome to the site!
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

Welcome to the site harry!

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Welcome to the sight and the next time I'm home maybe we can get together. While I live in Turkey my family is from Huntington, so maybe we can get together.

Like everyone else has said, when you are first playing with people: No Customs, No House rules. Otherwise you'll end up playing Arguescape, not Heroscape.

Especially customs, balancing customs is very hard.
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Admin

Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

There are definitely some things you want to consider when hosting a game.

1. (And most important is) Know your audience.

If you're inviting other gamers, you can dive into the advanced ruleset pretty quickly. Customs shouldn't be too much of a problem either (so long as everyone can agree and after a few games of official figs).

If they are casual or non-gamers, you really need to make the game as easy for them to understand as possible. The best way to do this is to build some smaller premade armies on a simple map. This takes away the decision overload that comes with learning a new game. Drafting an army (and looking at ALL the cards) is a sure fire way to get them burnt out before the game even starts.

2. Have the game ready to play.

Definately have the map already built and armies already bagged That way they can get there and start playing right away... while they're fresh.

3. Make it a social gathering.

Food, Drinks, and Music tend to make for a more pleasant gaming experience (typically).

4. People like it more when they win.

Not saying throw the game, but maybe take the crappy army.

$0.02

Recent Games Played:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion