Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old February 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: DropBox for Site Improvement Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjee View Post
I frequently find title searches not to be very helpful. Discussions frequently move away from the clarity of the original title, and the posts contain the keywords.

So that is my vote for keeping it defaulting to search entire posts. I also normally switch the results from "threads" to "posts"
I didn't even know you could do that!!!!

My point is people who know how to search switch things and are confortable with that. New people who don't know how to search could use a helping hand by being directed to threads that will answer their questions. When I started here I didn't even see the seach button, then when I did, I didn't realize there was a TITLES ONLY option until someone mentioned it. Finally I have only now learned that there is a posts option.

You could call be lazy for not exploring all the options, but few people are apt to play around, we are use to google which gives us the pages with our search critia in it first.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjee View Post
I frequently find title searches not to be very helpful. Discussions frequently move away from the clarity of the original title, and the posts contain the keywords.
I think this reveals the divide between those with solid "seach-fu" and the newbies. For me, personally, the default setting is essentially irrelevant - I know what I want to look for and I set things appropriately. The same is, of course, true for you.

The default settings are principally there to guide new site members, many of whom don't have a lot of experience choosing search terms. I think the point wriggz is trying to make (that I agree with) is that in the case of trivial "has someone asked about whether special attacks get bonuses before" sorts of questions, title search is going to produce a much higher signal-to-noise ratio than post body search. When you're looking for basic threads as opposed to nitty-gritty detail, the title search is the way to go.

Don't take my word for it, though. Do some searches on recent unnecessary newb-ish threads. Do a title search on "Drow" and a post search on "Drow", and decide which is more useful to a newbie. Do the same for "Siege". Try a few more if you like. In just about every case, the title search turns up some useful threads (books, army discussions, strategy articles, etc) and the post search turns up basically every large thread that's been posted in recently. Frankly, I don't think this is a difficult call.
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Don't take my word for it, though. Do some searches on recent unnecessary newb-ish threads. Do a title search on "Drow" and a post search on "Drow", and decide which is more useful to a newbie. Do the same for "Siege". Try a few more if you like. In just about every case, the title search turns up some useful threads (books, army discussions, strategy articles, etc) and the post search turns up basically every large thread that's been posted in recently. Frankly, I don't think this is a difficult call.
I agree. More examples: "storage", "taelord", "order markers", ... pretty much anything newbies might be looking for.
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm sure I'll have my membership to the internet revoked for suggesting this, but the look of the site could use an update.

I realize this is a HUGE request, and I am fully aware of volunteer hours it would take to revamp the look. We've had 3 waves, a 4th arriving soon, and a new master set since the last beautification campaign.

I would be willing to chip in a few bucks to buy lunch for a week and a massage for whoever has to do the work.

~gulp, dropbox-usingly

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:07 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
I'm sure I'll have my membership to the internet revoked for suggesting this, but the look of the site could use an update.

I realize this is a HUGE request, and I am fully aware of volunteer hours it would take to revamp the look. We've had 3 waves, a 4th arriving soon, and a new master set since the last beautification campaign.

I would be willing to chip in a few bucks to buy lunch for a week and a massage for whoever has to do the work.

~gulp, dropbox-usingly
I don't think a new skin would be too hard to do (Of course, I barely even know how to turn my computer on...), but someone actually has to take the pictures and stuff and put them up.

It'd be awesome, but I'd understand if they can't.
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

While I wouldn't mind a new banner or two to match with new units (Othkurik and the Troll could make a great banner together), I honestly use the generic original wide setting most--and the discrete setting the rest of time. Sorry, I guess I'm just not much of a bling guy.
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

If you do a D&D theme, I think clancampbell would either leave or have an aneurysm.
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hmmmm. I don't think it would be too difficult to make a new theme, especially a dungeon-themed one. Looking at my current theme (Ticalla/Wave 8 Wide), the only things that would take any talent to change would be the footer, the header, and the background. Everything else theme-specific is either a flat color or just a simple gradient. So, basically, you would need someone to make a header and footer and background (heck, I could try to do that if you guys wanted) and someone to basically say "this is that color, this is this color."

The only problem I see with a dungeon theme is that it would end up being monochromatic (read: it might come out looking boring).

Disclaimer: I have never skinned a forum or anything, so I may be totally misunderstanding how all of this works.

Last edited by Warlord Alpha; February 14th, 2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I was just thinking of this and came to this thread, and low and behold the conversation was on it. I think that a new skin would be awesome. The dungeon could show the new master set guys, and some of Wave D1 figures as well. Of course, I should shut up, because I have neither the time nor the skills to have something like this come into place.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun

Whenever or any mod needs to lock a thread due to troll activity, they should use this image

(or a smaller version of it)

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:31 AM

Deliriant is surprisingly tart

@Ryougabot: That's brilliant. I hope they do it.

A new skin would be awesome, and I would volunteer to help(preferably with the background). The most obvious choice is D&D Scape, since there are plenty D&D figs now and a dungeon theme with a dark color scheme would be cool. It depends on how many people would use a D&D skin. It'd end up a wasted effort if nobody used it.

That's not what I came to this thread for though. This site needs one of these:

http://www.gamemakergames.com/forum/...php?board=30.0

It's a controvesial discussion forum for more mature off-topic threads. Debate topics, philosophy, events, politics, etc. go in this forum. The general forum here(as far as I can tell) doesn't have many serious or intelligent topics, and if I understand correctly there is some sort of 'hang out' for the younger users here.

The site I linked to has a policy of no religious debates, and I suggest if this is added to adopt that policy - those threads always start out innocent and somebody always ruins it.

Last edited by Deliriant; August 22nd, 2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM

Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriant View Post
A new skin would be awesome, and I would volunteer to help(preferably with the background). The most obvious choice is D&D Scape, since there are plenty D&D figs now and a dungeon theme with a dark color scheme would be cool.
They could do a contest and have everyone submit new banners for a D&D theme. Really there could be plenty of other themes too that were based on army themes. Soulborgs, Orcs, Dwarves, Agents etc.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online