Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Closed Thread

Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Petition for the Continuation of Classic Scape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gevdarg View Post
I just like to say as a late comer to heroscape that my family and I really enjoy this game. I definitely attest to the fact that I do not want to see classic scape go to the wayside. I mean if WOTC wants to go all DnD all the time, there are only two ways to stop them:

1. Don't buy the product and hope (huge emphasis on the word "hope") they see the error of their ways.

2. Use this forum and others to express the winter of our discontent and (once again) hope they see the error of the ways.

I mean if WOTC is intent on making heroscape all DnD all the time, we are not going to stop them. We may to take the advice John Lennon gave when the Beatles and just enjoy the old records, or in this case, the classic scape figures we already have.
This is a very good point, and good attitude. Honestly, the best place to complain about DnD Heroscape would be here or in some form of letter writing campaign to WOTC. Here on our forums, your posts will be read by folks who work along with WOTC in developing the new Heroscape releases. You can be sure that even if WOTC decides differently, we have hammered home the point that you all love and expect classic, even if DnDscape is a hit (which I think it will be).
Grungebob said this in another thread, so I thought I'd make a new thread doing just that. I'd like for people to post in this thread if they want Classic Scape to continue, or if they'd like for Dungeons and Dragons NOT to be the new Classic Scape, replacing the old Classic Scape in the future. This is not a place for posting how you hate DnD and don't think it should be released at all. It will be. Please list your reasons for wanting Classic Scape to be continued with your post.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:47 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Petition for the Continuation of Classic Scape

I would like Classic Scape to be continued. I do not have a problem with DnD sets being released (I'm actually really looking forward to it), if it is in addition to Classic Scape, not instead of it. I also think that after the initial release of DnD (the master set and the two waves already ready to go), DnD releases should not exceed Classic Scape releases.

If DnD became the neo-classic Scape, replacing Classic Scape, I would be disappointed because of the lack of variety. Right now HeroScape is comprised of scifi, historical and fantasy units, with a reasonable number of each. As far as I know, DnD is purely fantasy. I would hate for HeroScape releases from now on out to be only fantasy, as there are still a lot of cool historical and science fiction ideas that have been untapped.

-Tai-Pan, still hoping for Saracens to fight the Templars, a knight-themed ranged squad, Dreadguls, more native Americans, cowboy posse with lawman bonding, maybe some barbarians that fought against Rome, and maybe some post world war II-modern era soldiers, as well as the humans from Alpha Prime, some more primadons, and maybe some Jandar melee soulborgs.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; December 2nd, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:35 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I'm excited for D&Dscape. Heck, I'm even excited for the two D&D waves we're expecting in 2010.

I'd be exponentially more excited to hear that my support of D&Dscape would help ensure that normal Heroscape continues production.

And if Marvel Wave 1 were released? Excited would not be a big enough word.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:17 AM

Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby!

I will certainly sign for the continuation of old Classic 'Scape (if D&D is meant to be the new Classic). It's theme is what got me into the game in the first place.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:53 AM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I could just give a big amen to Sherman's post, but I'll also add that, while I think D&D scape may appeal to an important new audience, there is a clear difference in tone from Heroscape.

D&D takes itself pretty seriously, and the tone of the artwork and characters is darker and a little more ridden with angst and brooding. And that's fine for those whose tastes run that way. The drab colors and dark atmospherics work just fine for a more 'PG-13' crowd.

But I'm not at all interested in turning Heroscape completely over to that aesthetic. There is something uniquely enjoyable about a game that mixes giant robots with revolutionary war soldiers with gattling-gun wielding gorillas with roman legionnaires with orcs riding dinosaurs with samurai. It makes no sense, and isn't trying to. It's just fun as all get out. It isn't trying to take itself seriously, it isn't trying to convince players how dark and mature it is. It's just a great game mechanic with a fun theme.

I'm not trying to knock D&D. And honestly, I'm so hooked on Heroscape that I'm sure I'd stick around even after a few waves of unappealing heroes with tentacles coming out of their faces, and drab color schemes that try very hard to hide the fact that the little toy soldiers we are playing with are, in reality, little toy soldiers. But the moment I see nothing but Illithids and Mind Flayers in Heroscape's future is the moment I lose interest. (It would probably only take one Beholder to do the job.) In heroscape, you buy the units you're less interested in because you know something you really like is coming soon, often in the same package! If it becomes all D&D, you lose that. You keep/gain those who like D&D, but lose everyone else. The former group is already buying D&D. The latter group isn't interested. I'm firmly in that latter group.

I don't want to play Magic. I don't want to play D&D. I want to play Heroscape. And Heroscape is a very different franchise than either of those.

Heroscape is the game my kids love, the game I'll travel absurd distances to play, the game I'll go without lunches for a month to save up to buy more, the game I'll build an entire college course around, the game I'll teach to everyone who is interested and several who aren't, and the game I'll stay up until 2 am writing silly posts about.

I don't mind throwing some D&D in, but give me my Heroscape, too, or I'm taking my gun-toting gorillas and going home.

Last edited by fomox; December 2nd, 2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: ...home to play more heroscape, that is...
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I've made my opinion clear in several threads already. If WotC wanted to see it, they saw it by now.
But, just to make it clear, I'm all about Heroscape continuing and it being more about what we got in Wave 9 than DnD themed releases in the future.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM

gevdarg Woo who?

I want to see Classic Scape continue because I like the mixing of genres and I like the mythology already in place. I think the premise of heroscape is a fantastic one that allows for the inclusion of many genres creatively and many licenses that are, and can be, at hasbro's disposal. A permanent move to DnD heroscape just undercuts the primal and visceral appeal of the game.

I've suggested in other threads and I will suggest it here that WOTC alternate waves and master sets between Classic Scape, DnD Scape, and any other licensed waves they please. It will be a good fit for the spirit of the game.

P.S. Release Marvel Wave 1 with cards that fully integrate the characters into the heroscape universe. If you do that, reprint The Conflict Begins army cards with Valkyrie General alignments and points more in line with Classic Scape. I would pay for a new set of army cards.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:04 AM

Hilo-scaper is surprisingly tart

I am really looking forward to D&D Scape. I also would like them to continue classic scape as well. I think that D&D will be a great addition into the Scape universe, but I want it to be just that, an addition. That is one of the most amusing things about Heroscape, you can have warriors from all different times and places fighting it out. It's like that one show on Spike, "Deadliest Warrior," being played out right on your tabletop. I would certainly get on board with some kind of petition.
I am one of those ridiculous people who will spend their money on whatever expansions they put out for this game, but I would like to see many more waves of classic, D&D, and perhaps even Marvel.

Latest great traders: pjnormandin, Porkins, Dad_Scaper, beisaic, Greyelephant, the incredible mate, FerryMarcellis, MacBryce, bige51148, Nano*22, Retlaw, Just_a_Bill, Raudulfr Shieldcrusher
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM

LordRaidorJr is surprisingly tart

Although I really like the idea of DnD creatures entering into Valhalla (Been Forgotten Realms reader for years) I would hate for it to become Heroscape. Something, quite frankly, I just can't see happening. Although there are about 10 wave of DnD mini's, how many of those are Heroscape sized? How many duplicate creatures are there to make squads? Not many IMO. I see these first few waves going really well then as the selection choices diminish, WotC has 2 options. Decrease the quality of DnD 'scape and 'scape on the whole OR revert back to classic waves. I certainly hope it's the latter.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm all for D&D'scape, and I'll even buy it (unlike Marvelscape.) But if it means the end of Classic Scape it will severely decrease my interest in the game.

Not only is the tone wrong, and less suitable for the 5-12 crowd, but it's a limited genre. No spies, no historic figures, no high tech, no aliens. Why limit the options?

The end of Classic scape probably won't affect my purchases all that much for the foreseeable future, because the new units sound cool. But one of the great things about this is having samurai battling modern army figures battling robots battling elves. PLEASE, don't limit the future of 'scape.

PS I'll still play, I just probably won't be so enthusiastic about the latest and greatest wave.
PPS More aliens please, woops, that's another thread.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:29 AM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

Wow, errmm... most of what I was going to say has been said already. I suppose I'll give it a shot:

I don't mind adding D&D characters to the long list of various warriors already in 'Scape. The more the merrier, right? What I would not like to see is D&D completely taking over Classic.

The fact is, a lot of the factions within Classic 'Scape don't really seem "finished" in a sense, and it'd be almost criminal to leave them hanging like that. Even if those are finished, there are still other groups people would like to see added to 'Scape (most which are not D&D related), like Kroc's aliens, or the pirates many of the newer members always seem to want.

I agree with many other posters here that switching over to pure D&D would severely limit new figure choices, and would make it difficult to make more historical or sci-fi units (poor Vydar is always neglected...).

Classic 'Scape is also kind of the whole "flagship" for the brand, if you will, and the overall randomness of having robots fight historical soldiers is a major draw to the game, something I fear will be lost if all we see from here on is D&D.

So, in conclusion, go ahead and make D&D 'Scape, but don't for a second forget about good old Classic 'Scape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM

WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby!

I think D&D humans & elementals don't exactly mix with real classic scape. Too much fantasy that offsets it. I will buy, play & probably enjoy it though.
I know it will never happen but release Marvel wave one. I do love playing with ALL scape.

Loves all Scape

Still hasn't taken his Christmas decorations down.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion