Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old December 19th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Exclamation SPOILER TALK: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

First of all, if you haven't yet seen The Force Awakens GET OUT NOW!!! I'd like to post this thread to discuss the movie and how I felt about it, and because I'm curious to hear what others thought about it, and maybe discuss the film and what we think might happen in future movies, without having to post everything in double Spoilers boxes.

I'm not the biggest fan of JJ Abrams, mostly due to those awful Star Trek movies he made a while back, and I was worried that Episode VII would just be 2 hours of explosions and overblown, nostalgia-gouging fan-service. Luckily I was wrong this time, and this movie is definitely my favorite of his work.

Here's what I liked and didn't like so much (since it did have it's flaws), in Spoilers just in case:
Spoiler Alert!

Agree? Disagree? I'm curious to know how others felt about the movie, now that it's finally out and available.

~TAF, conversationally

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 19th, 2015, 12:48 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quickness

My quick thoughts

Spoiler Alert!

~Dysole, safer than sorry
Old December 19th, 2015, 01:08 AM

The Silver King is surprisingly tart
Re: SPOILER TALK: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
First of all, if you haven't yet seen The Force Awakens GET OUT NOW!!! I'd like to post this thread to discuss the movie and how I felt about it, and because I'm curious to hear what others thought about it, and maybe discuss the film and what we think might happen in future movies, without having to post everything in double Spoilers boxes.

I'm not the biggest fan of JJ Abrams, mostly due to those awful Star Trek movies he made a while back, and I was worried that Episode VII would just be 2 hours of explosions and overblown, nostalgia-gouging fan-service. Luckily I was wrong this time, and this movie is definitely my favorite of his work.

Here's what I liked and didn't like so much (since it did have it's flaws), in Spoilers just in case:
Spoiler Alert!

Agree? Disagree? I'm curious to know how others felt about the movie, now that it's finally out and available.

~TAF, conversationally
I have literally the same pros and cons as you, but the cons were enough to kill the movie for me. I give it a 6.5 out of 10, which leaves it below with Episode III in my list. With the Original Trilogy obviously above them both. At least Episode III tried to be creative, and has the best actor in the whole Star Wars Saga at the height of his ability (Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan, making George Lucas' terrible dialogue still sound awesome).
Old December 19th, 2015, 06:43 AM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

Couldn't disagree more with you guys. Was it similar? Yes. The same? Not hardly. Give it a week and I'll say why, I just really don't want to post any spoilers - even with the warning.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old December 19th, 2015, 08:23 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Spoiler Alert!

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old December 20th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Spoiler Alert!
Old December 20th, 2015, 10:03 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Spoiler Alert!
Old December 21st, 2015, 12:04 AM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Spoiler Alert!
I agree. Having seen the movie twice now, I feel a little better about Kylo but still not convinced. I also wish they had saved his confrontation with Han until later in the saga, because he could have been developed more by then and because Han was great and I would've liked more of him.

Another nitpick I forgot about was Leia. Why isn't she a Jedi--it's been 30 years since RotJ and she seemingly hasn't explored that at all. Luke is still the last Jedi after all this time. Seems weird to me, but again we still have at least two more movies to explore this further.

~TAF

P.S. An odd note I picked up upon a second viewing: at the end of the movie, Rey still has that metal stick thing with her. She barely used it and now has a blaster and a lightsaber--what's she planning on using that thing for?

Old December 21st, 2015, 12:06 AM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Spoiler Alert!
I agree. Having seen the movie twice now, I feel a little better about Kylo but still not convinced. I also wish they had saved his confrontation with Han until later in the saga, because he could have been developed more by then and because Han was great and I would've liked more of him.

Another nitpick I forgot about was Leia. Why isn't she a Jedi--it's been 30 years since RotJ and she seemingly hasn't explored that at all. Luke is still the last Jedi after all this time. Seems weird to me, but again we still have at least two more movies to explore this further.

~TAF

P.S. An odd note I picked up upon a second viewing: at the end of the movie, Rey still has that metal stick thing with her. She barely used it and now has a blaster and a lightsaber--what's she planning on using that thing for?
There's a lot left we have yet to know, a lot of exposition we could've had that would iron out a lot of things.
Spoiler Alert!
Old December 21st, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
Spoiler Alert!
Kylo assumedly killed them all, probably with the assistance of the Knights of Ren, another extremely mysterious group. I'm not sure if they're all force sensitive as well.

~TAF

Old December 21st, 2015, 04:31 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
Spoiler Alert!
Kylo assumedly killed them all, probably with the assistance of the Knights of Ren, another extremely mysterious group. I'm not sure if they're all force sensitive as well.

~TAF
It would be an interesting twist if the Knights of Ren are Kylo's band of turncoat Jedi that he led to the dark side, former students of Luke.

Did anyone else think that the revelation between Han and Kylo could have been better? I think if the scene with Snoke had been put off until the last 40 minutes or so, it would have allowed the viewer to possibly suspect it. The way it was, it came as a surprise, but not in a surprising way, just more of a side element in the conversation.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old December 21st, 2015, 11:00 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

It's a spoiler thread. I'm not putting spoiler tags in a spoiler thread, though I respect the kind intentions of those who do.

Given all of the expectations this movie had to live up to, the way it had to serve international audiences from 5 years old to 105 years old, I can't imagine how it could have been better. All of us have our own relationship with these movies and the new one had to advance all of those while simultaneously building new relationships with kids that weren't around last time.

Did we need another massively monstrous weapon annihilating worlds and destroyed by the courageous? Absolutely! What fun for existing fans, how cool and amazing for new ones! This seems to be the biggest complaint I see over and over again - "another Death Star", "shot for shot remake". I call BS. It had a lot of call backs to the original, tons of fan service - but - it also re-spun the magic for a new generation.

Because of all the self-references, it's easy to make the claim of a remake. But you have to really twist what's going on here to make it happen. The central question of TFA is "where is Luke Skywalker and how did this all go so wrong"? We're seeing the failed aftermath of victory. The setup in this film is bittersweet.

Where were the themes of betrayal in ANH? It runs strongly through TFA with Kylo Ren first betraying Luke and later his father, while accusing Finn of betraying the Imperial Remnant. What a powerful moment as he projects his own anguish on Finn. And did Luke betray the fledgling Republic? He certainly hasn't been there for them.

Are there echoes of Luke's training in what happens with Rey? Not really. Luke's a farmboy. Tough enough and a decent pilot, but not even remotely self-sufficient. Rey not only has demonstrated her ability to get by on her own, but regularly shows she can come up with her own plans and carry them through. Luke's struggles with the Force in ESB? Rey is simply told that the Force is real and upon discovering she can use it has the faith, the belief, that she can use it effectively. No one needed to teach her what wasn't impossible.

I could, and perhaps later in this thread will, keep going with other things that I thought were extremely well done (Luke and Rey at the end? Perfection). But I think I'll let this stand as an opening remark on what I thought of the film.

~Aldin, 9.5/10

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies