Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM

cyb0rg has disabled reputation
Newb Questions

Howdy!

A friend of mine has been talking about Heroscape for about a year now, and I finally went out and bought the Master Set and a couple booster packs last night. Mostly, I will be playing with my kids using the basic rules. But from time to time, I may get away long enough to play with big kids.

We were talking about HS at work today and since I'm a newb, and he didn't really know...I have a question about uniques. The rule book wording seemed a little fuzzy, so I figured I'd ask here.

For unique heros, each person can have that figure in their army, right? You just can't have more than one in the same army. But what about unique squads?
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
You are correct about unique heroes, one per army. Unique squads means the same thing as unique hero, one of these squads per army.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Welcome to the boards cyb0rg. You'll find that a lot of us here fall into the thirty something dad category.
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Re: Newb Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyb0rg
Howdy!

A friend of mine has been talking about Heroscape for about a year now, and I finally went out and bought the Master Set and a couple booster packs last night. Mostly, I will be playing with my kids using the basic rules. But from time to time, I may get away long enough to play with big kids.

We were talking about HS at work today and since I'm a newb, and he didn't really know...I have a question about uniques. The rule book wording seemed a little fuzzy, so I figured I'd ask here.

For unique heros, each person can have that figure in their army, right? You just can't have more than one in the same army. But what about unique squads?
Welcome to the boards. I am in the Dad category as well. You will have a good time with the game with your kids, and your friends. Play advanced with your kids if you can "slow" them into it. It didn't take me to long to get my kids into advanced. The younger one we just have to remind her from time to time.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of you around the board.
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:32 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Welcome cyb0rg. You will have a blast on the boards.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:35 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
Welcome. You are correct, 1 of each unique per army though it is a fairly common house-rule to do 1 of each unique per battle so you don't have Drake fighting Drake.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, cyb0rg!

On behalf of our paternal and even occasionally maternal (Hi, JenLiss30!) community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

You really ought to at least consider advertising your location in your profile in the State - City format many of us use. Who knows? Perhaps you will find local grown ups to play with... I know I did (*Aldin apologizes in advance for characterizing Malechi, Hex_Enduction_Hour and dnutt99 as grown ups*)!

~Aldin, Bay Area Heroscaper

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Welcome to the site, cyb0rg!

Please excuse Aldin for speaking parenthetically of himself in the third person. We allow him to do it once in a while. <grin>
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker
Welcome cyb0rg:

You are in good company. We bought the MS three years ago for Christmas for my son (8 at the time) and I haven't been able to stop playing since. It is truly addicting and as others have said, the basic game is so similar to the advanced that it is hardly worth it. We played it once, and since that time, we've never even looked at the basic stats. The special abilities is what makes the game truly engaging. If your children are 8+, I think they should be very capable of handling the advanced game.
Also, I have personally found that the road expansion adds a lot to the game. I haven't made much use of my lava expansions and I've never pursued the tundra one, but once we got the road expansions, we've had a blast making paths, temples, ruined cities, and all kinds of fun terrain. We even made an Orc Stronghold once (before the castle sets) simply using terrain levels. It's just a great time!
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM

AEIOU has disabled reputation
Quote:
Play advanced with your kids if you can "slow" them into it.
My five year-old son noticed the backside to the cards during our first game. He asked what the extra words were and insisted that we use them once he found out the advanced game had special abilities. We haven't looked back since.

We spend a lot of time telling stories and building scenarios rather than delving into strategies. But it's father/son time. And the games will definitely get more complex with age.

That's one of the best things about HS for me -- it's only as complex as you want it to be.
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Newb Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyb0rg
Mostly, I will be playing with my kids using the basic rules. But from time to time, I may get away long enough to play with big kids.
Cyb0rg, KidScaper is 7 1/2 and we've been playing with the Master rules. We started in January of 06 with the Basic rules, but they really are almost the same, and the Master rules add a lot of color without adding a lot of complexity. So we've slowly integrated them - last being the sticky concept of 'engagement' - and now we play with the whole shootin' match.

Anyway welcome, from one Daddyscaper to another.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM

QBakies has disabled reputation
Another dad here that plays HS exclusively with his family. The 'Advanced' rules really aren't all that advanced and once you play with them a few times anyone will catch the hang of it. Try incorporating them little by little like DaddyScaper suggested. Most of all have fun!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion