Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old May 30th, 2020, 07:56 AM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Best To Worst Star Wars Movie By Ranking Individual Chap

See, like I said interesting. ��

Though I really shouldn’t have to watch outside media in order to understand a character. However the backstory you just laid out was pretty interesting.

Doesn’t change the fact that I hate listening to him breath/talk and watching him move. It just super distracting for me.
Old May 30th, 2020, 08:50 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I don't really want to talk about how bad the sequels are. So instead I'll talk about one of the bright spots of the Disney Wars era.

Empire Strike Back still has to be my 1 seed, but Rouge One might be #2 now for me. I know that even though I rank it ahead of A New Hope, in part it's because A New Hope had already existed is why Rogue One was so successful. Like when they say "Rebellions are built on Hope" it generates all these emotions because I know the next movie is called A New Hope and everything that carries with it. The first scene of Vader in A New Hope has always been a powerful introduction, but then watching Vader in hot pursuit of the plans at the end of Rogue One added so much more to it.

Then one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie had nothing to do with any of the other movies. It was Forrest Whitaker coming to the conclusion that his enemies had sent his 'daughter' to kill him. There was just so much unsaid pain in those eyes. What a fantastic actor and great writing.
Completely agree. Watch R1, ANH and Empire. Done.

Whitaker is a great small part actor.
Amazing in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and great in The Color of Money as well.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old May 30th, 2020, 11:29 AM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Whitaker was the best part of Species, too....

No wait, that was Natasha Henstridge. I get them confused.
Old May 30th, 2020, 03:42 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

He was really good in Last King of Scotland and that was big part.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 01:34 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

TFA - a bit derivative at times, but it hit a lot of good notes and set up for a great series
TLJ - completely changed direction and had a bunch of stuff that was a waste of the audience's time. But interleaved with the cruft there was an interesting story feature Rey, Ben, and Luke. All the same, this movie didn't really feel like a continuation from TFA
RoS - this movie tried to clean up the mess left by the other two and so ended up not that great. I enjoyed it individually and it had some great scenes.

Altogether, the trilogy really suffered from not having a cohesive vision and overall it felt pretty incoherent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
But Ben just isn't the most interesting character in the sequels, which hurts it.
If Kylo Ren isn't the most interesting character in the sequels, then who is? MaRey Sue? Escaped child soldier turned bumbling comic relief (poor John Boyega, what a waste of a great concept)? General completely-different-character-in-each-film Hux?

Luke maybe but everything potentially interesting about him in the sequels occurs off-screen, which is part of the reason why the way he in TLJ is so frustrating. Since Disney is doing spin-off films how about a movie about Luke and Ben between Episodes 6 & 7 that actually delves into their relationship? If Clone Wars can make me actually care about copy/pasted expendable clones, then making me care about Ben and Luke and actually exploring how they ended up the way they did shouldn't be too hard.

~TAF, who also enjoys subverting expectations but it has to be done right to be of merit. Just ask M. Night Shyamalan
Uh, how about Rey?!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 2nd, 2020, 01:35 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I also enjoyed Solo and Rogue One. Really need to watch the Mandalorian.

And I'm thinking I should go back and watch the Clone Wars + Rebels series; it seems like they were pretty good from everything I've heard.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 2nd, 2020, 01:52 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I also enjoyed Solo and Rogue One. Really need to watch the Mandalorian.

And I'm thinking I should go back and watch the Clone Wars + Rebels series; it seems like they were pretty good from everything I've heard.
If it’s Disney-made and not a main episode, it’s 100% worth watching [again].
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:58 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Clone Wars has some arcs that drag a bit, and is mostly serialized, but when it's good it's REALLY good.

Rebels is similar, except it's even more "kiddy" at times. But one of the season finales (2nd I think?) really cements how serious it is and is one of my favorite episodes/moments in anything Star Wars ever. And then it brings Thrawn back into continuity, and he's REALLY cool as a villain.

And since watching those shows, it made Maul my favorite Star Wars character, hands down. They really did a great job telling his story.

Mandalorian is pure New Hope nostalgia. Not story-wise (Takes place after RotJ), but in feel. Nothing really drastic or mind blowing in it, but it just feels so good. I'd recommend watching the other shows first, but just because they expand on the Mandalorian culture a lot, so you kind of know them before you start the live action series. But it's really not a huge deal aside from a few references.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 04:27 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Active Protagonists > Passive Protagonists

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates;
Uh, how about Rey?!
Rey is the most boring character in the trilogy. I know that's partially by design (blank slate characters are a thing, especially for female main characters), but still. Passive protagonists who have little-to-no agency are boring. Everything is really about Kylo, and whenever Rey does decide to go do something of her own accord it's always because of him. He drives the story forward, not her. Jyn Erso in Rogue One has the exact same problem having to be dragged around against her will the first two hours of the movie. Good job Disney

Not all of it's great but I do highly recommend The Clone Wars. What's good in it is great and it really makes up for a lot of the Prequel's failings.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old June 2nd, 2020, 06:24 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Active Protagonists > Passive Protagonists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:
Clone Wars has some arcs that drag a bit, and is mostly serialized, but when it's good it's REALLY good.

Rebels is similar, except it's even more "kiddy" at times. But one of the season finales (2nd I think?) really cements how serious it is and is one of my favorite episodes/moments in anything Star Wars ever. And then it brings Thrawn back into continuity, and he's REALLY cool as a villain.

And since watching those shows, it made Maul my favorite Star Wars character, hands down. They really did a great job telling his story.

Mandalorian is pure New Hope nostalgia. Not story-wise (Takes place after RotJ), but in feel. Nothing really drastic or mind blowing in it, but it just feels so good. I'd recommend watching the other shows first, but just because they expand on the Mandalorian culture a lot, so you kind of know them before you start the live action series. But it's really not a huge deal aside from a few references.
I really enjoyed Rebels. I have tried watching Clone Wars, but have only gotten through a handful of episodes. I found it boring and very "kiddy", way more so than Rebels. I agree about the Mandalorian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates;
Uh, how about Rey?!
Rey is the most boring character in the trilogy. I know that's partially by design (blank slate characters are a thing, especially for female main characters), but still. Passive protagonists who have little-to-no agency are boring. Everything is really about Kylo, and whenever Rey does decide to go do something of her own accord it's always because of him. He drives the story forward, not her. Jyn Erso in Rogue One has the exact same problem having to be dragged around against her will the first two hours of the movie. Good job Disney

Not all of it's great but I do highly recommend The Clone Wars. What's good in it is great and it really makes up for a lot of the Prequel's failings.

~TAF
I agree about Rey, but then again, I didn't really about any of the main characters in the trilogy.

I did like Jyn and thought she had a lot going on.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; June 3rd, 2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 10:35 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I liked Rebels quite a bit. I couldn't get into Clone Wars when it first started up and as such never fully kept up with it. Everyone tells me it gets better as it goes along, but I did tune in to watch a few 'big' story arcs. Usually ended up thinking they had some really cool elements, but then also suffered from some plot issues I just didn't like. Still it produced a lot of pretty interesting new characters, more so than 7/8/9 did. As for Jyn in Rouge One, I was fine with her being the reluctant hero initially. Her backstory was pretty well fleshed out for why she would be a jaded character just looking out for herself. The journey she takes that brings her around to believing in the good fight and even leading it was an enjoyable one. Rey doesn't have any of the same context or personality.
Old June 3rd, 2020, 06:55 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Awesome:
-A New Hope
-The Empire Strikes Back
-Return of the Jedi
-Clone Wars (2003 TV Series)
-The Mandalorian (TV Series)

Meh, but better:
-The Phantom Menace (feels the most like the original trilogy at times and has the Darth Maul/Qui Gon/Obi Wan fight scene which I think is the best thing in a Star Wars movie since the originals, so I put it above the remaining 4)

Meh:
-Attack of the Clones
-The Force Awakens

Bad:
-Revenge of the Sith
-The Last Jedi

I haven’t seen The Rise of Skywalker, Solo, or Rogue One. I heard Solo was bad, The Rise of Skywalker wasn’t anything special, and Rogue One was actually pretty good. I’ll probably watch them eventually but I don’t have much anticipation to.

I’m not really that big of a Star Wars fan I really only enjoy the first 5 I mentioned, and some parts of Phantom Menace. The rest just kinda ruin it for me. It becomes harder to ignore all the new stuff I consider to be mediocre/bad, and submerge my mind in the ones I like, the more movies they dish out...but I don’t think I’ll ever not like the ones I do so I guess it’s whatever.

The Mandalorian is sick though. That was the first Star Wars thing I really liked in forever, and really was a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to the second season.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies