Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
To Isamu or not to Isamu

The Arkansas NHSD tournament has set a 550 point army size.

(I do not fear spilling my beans here!)

I will be bringing an army of 3 x Sentinels of Jandar (330 points) and 3 x 4th Massachusetts (210 points) for a total of 540 points. The question is, do I then include Isamu (10 points) or Otinoshi (10 points), running them out to be killed rather quickly; or do I forego them in order to have an all Valiant army from the very beginning?

My inclination is to use Isamu and just make him a great bother until he dies. But if my opponent has Zelrig, that means my 4th Mass have no defense rolls at all, but if I don't have Isamu, then I can, at least, roll against a one skull attack from Zelrig.

What do you all think?
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Colorblind Kid

southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby!
Re: To Isamu or not to Isamu

With my name being what it is I can have only one answer and thats keep the ninjas. I mean they are ninjas! now let the helpful people follow with comments!
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I generally dislike Isamu in Valiant armies, because I can't think of a situation in which I'd want to activate him instead of the 4th Mass. He'd be more of a distraction to you than your opponent. The only circumstance that I might use him would be to shuffle to a glyph, but that's what your Sentinels are for anyway.

In short, I say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Ask Papa Scape. He does well with this sort of question.

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I'm with the guy in the Jaxet. Don't use either ninja. The Valiant Army Defense Bonus is much more important than, what, grabbing a glyph? If you really need a glyph, a Sentinel can sit on it, and sit on it at least as well as either 10-pointer. Take the extra 12 defense dice from turn 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Jim

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Jim
Papa-'Scape doesn't know diddley.
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

That's a dilemma. I'd have to say that it would all come down to the maps if I were making the decision. Will Zelrig be able to close the distance before Isamu can be killed. Given how long Isamu can stick around, and the fact that Zelrig would probably risk a disengage or two (or three or four) to get a few free shots at 4th Mass squadies, I imagine the maps aren't big enough to give you comfortable breathing room. I would say more than likely it is a bad idea. If the maps have plenty of room then it just might work.

If you do bring either along, the alternative would be to use a bunch of order markers to space them out so you're only losing one at a time, but that is far from ideal just to fill out 10 points.
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I would stay far, far away from anything non-valiant when fielding a 4th Mass army if you're just going to use them then kill and die quickly. I would do this even more so now that Zelrig is part of the game. I would eat the 10 points (that's what you're doing essentially if your just going to throw him out to get him killed anyway) and use those first few crucial turns to establish map control.

That's my 2 cents, do with it as you wish. Good luck.
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I'm with the no voters.

If you're going to win the event then you'll need to win all your games (probably). The slight advantage Isamu brings in most match-ups is not enough compensation for the reasonably likely possibility of him being a serious (maybe even game-losing) handicap in a single game in my opinion.
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Structurally neither ninja fits within the army requirements so really if there are any situations that would pose a 10 point piece being a liability no matter how slim I wouldn't bother putting in a ninja. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you think you'll run into any such situation?

Personally I don't have enough 4th Mass to concern myself with this at the moment but if I did want to run that build I wouldn't use either.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Nah! The ninja screws your valiancy and also your markers. Wasting markers in early game on a one attack unit is not good.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would avoid taking either ninja. While they may be able to do some damage and annoy your opponent, if you're playing an oponent with decent ranged attackers they may just ignore your ninja and go straight for all the juicy squaddies bunched up in/near your start zone while they have less defence.

Basically Isamu (and Otonashi) stand a very good chance of only being a bother to you.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion