Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old July 26th, 2013, 02:02 PM

Umbra Atlas is surprisingly tart
UA Dives Into Making Terrain

I really don't know what I'm doing.

That aside, I'm going to be updating this thread as I progress to show (nearly) every step I take. Kind of like a how-to, as written by someone that has absolutely no experience in what they're doing. Also, I have no plans for what my end product will be. I'm just going to start doing stuff and hope it turns out all right.

I have some chemicals. Neat.

Forgot to take a picture of me mixing/pouring the rubber.

Baby's first mold.

I apologize if I'm slow, I'm uploading this as I make everything. The last picture you see is as far as I am.
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:55 PM

Re: UA Dives Into Making Terrain

Items ruined so far: A nice towel, a dry-erase marker, a phillips head screwdriver, and possibly my lungs.

Onward!

Poured the plastic.

x2

Success so far!
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

You're doing a good job. Don't worry; take your time with it. We want your lungs to still function for a while.
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:13 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

These look awesome Umbra, great job. As MegaSilver said, it is always better when you take your time. Always remember quality is better then quantity.
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice work. What is the mold made out of? clay?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
take your time with it.
I hope to at least have a piece done by today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
These look awesome Umbra, great job. As MegaSilver said, it is always better when you take your time. Always remember quality is better then quantity.
I will keep that in mind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Nice work. What is the mold made out of? clay?
The mold is made from OOMOO industrial Pourable Silicone Rubber! You can see it in the first picture.

Thank you all for the feedback!

I've never been able to afford lava.

Scratches/nicks will be covered by incoming statue-thing I think I'll make.
Old July 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Ahh, yes that makes more sense. Genius me thought maybe you were making the hexes out of silicone. doh

Is that a one time use? If so what is your window of time to make the mold? 6 hours?

Is that Pourable Plastic for the hexes?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 26th, 2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Ahh, yes that makes more sense. Genius me thought maybe you were making the hexes out of silicone. doh

Is that a one time use? If so what is your window of time to make the mold? 6 hours?

Is that Pourable Plastic for the hexes?
One mold can be used hundreds of times before needing to make a new one, and from what I've heard the more you cast from one mold, the better results you get. And yes, it is Pourable Two-Part Plastic of the same brand.

EDIT: It says six hours, but often is fully cured faster than that in my experiences
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:33 PM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Next time you buy silicone I would suggest useing OOMOO 25, it cures in under 2 hours and is usually the same price.

As long as you take good care of your molds you should be able to use them to make many many casts. The less detail the longer they will last.

What Smooth-On plastic are you using? I assume it is one of the 300 series.

If you have any questions just let me know. I have made quite a few molds.
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qt.bangerang View Post
Next time you buy silicone I would suggest useing OOMOO 25, it cures in under 2 hours and is usually the same price.

As long as you take good care of your molds you should be able to use them to make many many casts. The less detail the longer they will last.

Smooth Cast 300 for the plastic, and OOMOO 30 I believe for the mold. I picked these up only because they came together in the starter kit or what-have-you
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:28 PM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra Atlas View Post
Quote:

Smooth Cast 300 for the plastic, and OOMOO 30 I believe for the mold. I picked these up only because they came together in the starter kit or what-have-you
That is what I started with too. I like the Smooth Cast 300 because it cures fast. It isn't great for replicating miniatures because it is brittle, but you can do a lot very quickly.

This is the site that I buy my supplies from: http://www.tfbplastics.com/
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
That is what I started with too. I like the Smooth Cast 300 because it cures fast. It isn't great for replicating miniatures because it is brittle, but you can do a lot very quickly.

This is the site that I buy my supplies from: http://www.tfbplastics.com/
Thanks for the heads up!

Today has been a very busy day, and I have unfortunately not had time to work on my piece.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles