Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel News
Marvel News Hasbro-released news, store sightings, etc. specific to Marvel HS

Closed Thread

Old February 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Reinforcements Arrive stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post
I cannot describe how it pains me not to know what The Thing was going to be like, and everytime I look at the fig it literally makes me feel depressed.
I know exactly what you mean, Sweetcurse. I feel the exact same way for The Punisher. How cool would it be to have an official Punisher piece so you could mow down elves and marro? To be able to frag grenade dwarves and mohicans?

Sigh. There's still hope. There's always hope.

Old February 18th, 2010, 11:24 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I know what you guys mean; I'm content with making customs out of Heroclix figs for the other 9 figures in that wave, but the Thing mini was far superior to any of the Things Heroclix put out.
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
I know what you guys mean; I'm content with making customs out of Heroclix figs for the other 9 figures in that wave, but the Thing mini was far superior to any of the Things Heroclix put out.
You could just put pants on the earth elemental...

But yeah, there isn't a great thing sculpt. The best one (IMO) is ruined by the fact that he's in full body-suit. It's also a bit small. The one Sherman used on his custom is better size-wise, but looks kind of blob-like.
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't remember what I have posted on this topic, so this may be a repeat.

However, what is surprising is that I believe there is a huge upfront cost to the manufacturer that they have already invested. The process of scultpting the figures, creating the mold, etc. is extremely costly. It is why you see lines like Star Wars use the exact same molds for things like spaceships that were part of the original line back in the 1980's.

Typically, when a company decides to halt a line, they put out what they have done, and stop production when it comes to developing new stuff.

Obviously, they had already gone through the concept stuff, the sculpting, the mold making, the painting process, etc. so it is surprising that they never released the figures in any form. If they didn't think they could sell them at retail, maybe as convention pieces or online exclusives or what not.

As noted, the legwork is already done.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post
If they didn't think they could sell them at retail, maybe as convention pieces or online exclusives or what not.
I'd be happy if they just throw loose figures and cards in a plain brown box as long as I can buy it.

Unless it was blind purchase. That's the only thing that could make me not want them.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

However, what is surprising is that I believe there is a huge upfront cost to the manufacturer that they have already invested. The process of scultpting the figures, creating the mold, etc. is extremely costly. It is why you see lines like Star Wars use the exact same molds for things like spaceships that were part of the original line back in the 1980's.

Typically, when a company decides to halt a line, they put out what they have done, and stop production when it comes to developing new stuff.

Obviously, they had already gone through the concept stuff, the sculpting, the mold making, the painting process, etc. so it is surprising that they never released the figures in any form. If they didn't think they could sell them at retail, maybe as convention pieces or online exclusives or what not.

I agree with everything said here, I do, but I think that the problem is WotC has only one major Retailer for Heroscape right now, and that is Walmart. I think that Walmart probably just doesn't want to shelf Marvel Scape, and that is the hold up on the merchandise being produced and distributed, Wizards can't get a solid contract for it with any major retailer.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
Quote:

I agree with everything said here, I do, but I think that the problem is WotC has only one major Retailer for Heroscape right now, and that is Walmart. I think that Walmart probably just doesn't want to shelf Marvel Scape, and that is the hold up on the merchandise being produced and distributed, Wizards can't get a solid contract for it with any major retailer.
That may be true, but it is missing my point. If they already have all of the pre-production paid for (which as I understand it, is the bulk of the cost), it would seem to make sense to put the figures out there as a way to recoup at least some of your costs.

I am just making up figures here obviously, but let's say they have already invested $100,000 in production costs. And, let's say a limited run of maybe 10,000 for something like online purchase only costs them another $75,000 (packing, distribution, overhead, etc.). If they sold these 10,000 for only $20 a pop, they now have at least their money back.

Now, obviously my numbers are probably grossly in error, but the point remains that IF you are already most of the way in the pool, you might as well take the final plunge. And, as I understand these costs, already having prototypes designed, sculpted, molds made, painting process developed, and so forth is indeed being most of the way into the pool.

At the very least, it would be nice if they came out and told us how they saw the situation. I know that Hasbro has always been up front with the Star Wars collectors with regards to how the price-point of a particular item (say, a modular Death Star) just doesn't give them any room to make a profit.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:44 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Not exactly. Anything they put out there would take up shelf space, truck space, and factory space away from something else that could potentially make more money. So just "putting it out there" could cost them money.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:21 AM

Marlowe is surprisingly tart

Sorry if this has already been asked, did a bit of searching before posting:

What would be the issue with an "online only" release ala Wave 10: Valkrill's Gambit? Something where just the deeply devoted could buy in? Heck, they could probably even print to pre-order, if it came down to it. I recognize the issues with manufacturing, but I don't quite see the difference between something like this, and something like Wave 10.

Thanks for any info.

I aim to misbehave
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Well, Wave 10 wasn't an "online only" release. It can be found in game stores and Wal-Marts.

To take a stab at answering your question though, I'd guess that an online only release of Marvel Wave 1 would have to cost the consumer too much to be viable. Heroscape prices seem dependent on economies of scale - if Heroscape's prepainted figures and tons of plastic terrain weren't sold at big box stores in mass quantities it would probably be way more expensive than it is.

Welcome to the site! Sorta (eyeballing your join date)...
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

It also seems possible that they'd have to pay more money to Disney (Marvel) for licensing fees were they to actually start selling these.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 24th, 2010, 08:57 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

It seems to me hopeful that they haven't "dumped" it on us yet, because it might mean they see some potential. If they give us "the story" they imperil making a deal with potential partners who might help make it a reality in the future. Even in the specialized toy soldier market, confidentiality is prized to a tremendous degree! I think we'd only see what you are requesting if they'd totally given up on it.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel News