Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 11th, 2015, 04:09 PM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker
Re: Science! Science? Science...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post
why do you have this obsession against companies that have made money by selling fossil fuels?
I don't. It's incredible that you could read what I wrote as an issue with the profit-making, itself. I'm tempted to read your attack here as an intentional misinterpretation of my point.
My apologies - I read your bringing making a living in the fossil fuel industry as being a shot at the morality of the industry (some have made just such claims).

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

The question has always been, as I explicitly said, who benefits? This idea that climate scientists are lying because they have some overwhelming incentive to do so is just silly.

On the other side of the ledger, we have the fossil fuel industry, which obviously does benefit to an incredible degree, in terms of profit, from inaction on climate change. We saw this story play out with Big Tobacco, and now we have fairly explicit evidence that the fossil fuel industry is following the same playbook.

If you want to bring up profit motive and natural human tendencies, it's very, very clear that those who deny climate change have a lot more skin in the game than those who support the scientific consensus.
You raise a good point to discuss: what is the motivation of a scientist? I feel that the primary motivation is prestige. It's not money - clearly. It's also not fame - just how many scientists do you know by name? That seems only to leave prestige, especially among one's peers.

Agree? Disagree?

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General