Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 28th, 2020, 07:11 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: [Pod 0] Tetsuo Tyrell (Jace, Investigator) - Testing

Hacking up your post a little here AK, hope you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I'll say that - and it's been very obvious so far - I'm mainly the one bringing up concerns about Mind Jack. If I'm alone in that, I'll accept that I'm outvoted, but as AYP mentioned I think two distinct, unrelated rolls (and thus two chances for failure) is the core of my concerns with him. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
What bothers you about it? They are two distinct powers/mechanics that have a nice interplay between them. I couldn't see rolling them into the same power (essentially just reusing Enslave) conveying the same theme or playstyle without feeling hackneyed, and it feels very much like a classic HeroScape design from my experiences (albeit one of the swingy ones, which VC generally strays away from).

In fact, having a conditional effect on a successful wound is fairly common in HeroScape: Poison Weapons, Sujoah's Special Attack, Mortal Strike, and more have all displayed similar mechanics building on top of attack rolls before. If it's thematically appropriate and is a mechanic that's too powerful to activate on any wound but still needs a wound to work, then I don't see any problem with it.

I think it's the two chances for failure. Bringing up abilities like that does make me pause, but only for a moment - "d20 to cause extra wounds" feels fundamentally different than temporary control. I guess because it's "a chance an extra good thing happens" rather than "two rolls to have the main draw and mechanic of the unit even activate." It'd be like Mindshackle being on an 18-20 but NGS has to wound first. It feels wrong.

Quote:
If it's just the two chances for failure baked into Mind Jack that bothers you, then I'm a bit confused. You've advocated changing Overclock to a wound chance over an automatic wound for a while, which I think exacerbates the problem significantly (it suddenly becomes "take a chance to boost my chance to take a chance"). Two separate types of rolls (an attack and a power effect), however, isn't anything that special from what we've seen before.

You're right, and I've gone back and forth on it myself. I think I drifted from believing that the autowound would make him too risky to believing that the core issue was the chance of Mind Jack activating at all, or accurately, the feeling/perception that it was unlikely due to two failure chances.

I have no doubts that, right now, against a 3D unit, the change for Jack is the same or higher than Enslave. I trust you guys did the math. I just think it's a clunky and inferior option to just one success/failure check.

Again, if I'm outvoted, I'll accept it and move on. This is me dying on the hill, so to speak.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs