Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 9th, 2021, 11:56 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: OEAO's Power Rankings

I think B+ is right for Arrows. There's some other stuff like Arrows in the B+ tier that can get hot and do well in a Cheese tournament if they find the right matchups like Cutters.

I think I'd move Zombies down from B+. They just are not that good, especially against the sorts of high defense armies you see at the top.
Old April 9th, 2021, 02:39 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks @Cleon , I'll make some changes!

I've thought more about Arrow Gruts, and if anything, I'd move Mimring up to A-. The Arrow Gruts aren't the good part of that army; Mimring is. Basically every matchup that army has a chance to win, the reason it has a chance to win is because Rae/MWs/Mimring is good. I'm not convinced that 17 AGs are better than 12 GSWs in that build either. But regardless, even if the AGs version is slightly better than the GSWs version (again, I doubt it, but that's besides the point), the AGs don't deserve the A-. Similar to how Nilf gets an A while the GSWs only get an A-, Mimring may deserve to be a little higher than the AGs.
Old April 9th, 2021, 03:31 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Reasonable

Yeah I can see the argument for The Last Mimsy at A-. I'm not QUITE sure he's that good but yeah he'd be a step above the AGs. I like the AGs over Greenscales because of disengage, range, and the ability to spam more of them in.

~Dysole, who will probably run something like it at some point
Old April 9th, 2021, 03:52 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like the change with Mimring; I think it nicely encapsulates the debate we've been having (moving that whole army up in the rankings, but just slightly, based on the component that does the damage).

I also think it's good having Mimring & Zelrig in the same tier now. Both obviously have certain matchups where they are better, but I think it's pretty close overall either way.

I feel similarly to Dysole about AGs v. GWs with Mimring; I think disengage lets you do a lot of things to protect your dragon better.
Old April 9th, 2021, 04:05 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Oh, I’m not moving up Mimring yet. I need to see more results first. However, if I did move either AGs or Mimring up, it wouldn’t be the AGs (at least at this point).
Old April 9th, 2021, 04:17 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Whoops, my reading comprehension skills need some help it would seem; I missed the 'if anything'.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on Mimring v. Zelrig regarding their rankings. I certainly get/agree that squadscape is the more prevalent meta (helping Zelrig), but I think you can generally limit the damage to 1 figure at a time. So I suppose to me it comes down to how much you value the potential of an OM1/2 start zone bomb. How much does that play into your current A- ranking for Zelrig?

The other big component admittedly is whether you think GWs or AGs are better with Mimring; obviously if you feel GWs are stronger than that limits Mimring's upside.
Old April 9th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

I don’t have much time right now, but a few quick points:

1. Zelrig’s survivability is much better (6L/4D as opposed to 5L/3D).
2. One of, if not the, absolute best General Wars armies is Zelrig 4x 10th.
3. Zelrig has years of top results.
4. Zelrig can hit 3-4 figures from 7 spaces away. Fire Line usually requires Mimring to get closer if he wants to hit that many targets, exposing him to more danger.
Old April 9th, 2021, 04:54 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

I can agree with the Mimring assessment. And Mimring is certainly better with AGs purely based on Fire Line itself. GWs WANT to be around Mimring which makes them more likely to be in the way of Fire Line. Note also that if you can get a good fire line but have to move away from GWs and/or Raelin to do so, GWs are might not be optimizable. With the AGs, fire lining your own figure is less concerning. It’s similar to Quahon with Spiders, and a part of the reason why Spiders are better for her (cheaper, more expendable). That’s not even talking about Disengage or their range.

I do find it slightly odd to knock AGs on their offensive ability when that’s not really where their value comes from. It’s like saying the Deathreavers are bad because they don’t provide offense. (Sure, Rats can screen for a lot more armies but the identity of the unit is the same. Also, AGs will always be taking turns unreliant on Scatter to keep a screen and they provide slightly better offense anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
I'm not convinced that 17 AGs are better than 12 GSWs in that build either.
I think it’s a common rule of thumb to not take more points in GWs than your Dragon, meaning a max 3 squads of GWs. That’s 9 GWs, if not just 6 at the lower end of competitive point totals. Compare that to AGs.

Spoiler Alert!

Always 6 figures ahead. Interestingly, 520-525 might be their competitive plateau. From there, other squads can up their numbers so they can trade equally and still have room for range support. I think this is most obvious from Boromir’s VCheese army (Knights x4, Gilbert, Raelin, MW). Knights below that point total have to sacrifice something: A squad or two, range support, Raelin, or a combination of those.

Last edited by Sheep; April 10th, 2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old April 9th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Niche =/= Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO
I'm legitimately looking for feedback on these rankings. You probably won't change my mind from A-/B+ and up (but you're certainly welcome to try!). I'm primarily interested in hearing thoughts about the more middling and poor units.
Hatamato Taro to C-

~TAF, will never stop fighting even if it seems hopeless

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old April 9th, 2021, 10:07 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

In traditional double-blind formats, Deadeye Dan deserves his D. He can be a situationally valuable piece of the puzzle in draft formats, though. Either as a low cost, high variance counterdraft, or as a tricky piece of the puzzle in an army draft setting. He's situationally useful somewhere in the C/C- range, I would guess.

If the grades account for some variance in formats.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 10th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
In traditional double-blind formats, Deadeye Dan deserves his D. He can be a situationally valuable piece of the puzzle in draft formats, though. Either as a low cost, high variance counterdraft, or as a tricky piece of the puzzle in an army draft setting. He's situationally useful somewhere in the C/C- range, I would guess.

If the grades account for some variance in formats.
I mean, even in double-blind, he's still a 10 threat range to anything important. Just stick him at the front of your starting zone and he threatens 2/3s of the map. He's worth at least a C- for only 60 points.
Old April 10th, 2021, 10:58 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
I can agree with the Mimring assessment. And Mimring is certainly better with AGs purely based on Fire Line itself. GWs WANT to be around Mimring which makes them more likely to be in the way of Fire Line. Note also that if you can get a good fire line but have to move away from GWs and/or Raelin to do so, GWs are might not be optimizable. With the AGs, fire lining your own figure is less concerning. It’s similar to Quahon with Spiders, and a part of the reason why Spiders are better for her (cheaper, more expendable). That’s not even talking about Disengage or their range.

I do find it slightly odd to knock AGs on their offensive ability when that’s not really where their value comes from. It’s like saying the Deathreavers are bad because they don’t provide offense. (Sure, Rats can screen for a lot more armies but the identity of the unit is the same. Also, AGs will always be taking turns unreliant on Scatter to keep a screen and they provide slightly better offense anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
I'm not convinced that 17 AGs are better than 12 GSWs in that build either.
I think it’s a common rule of thumb to not take more points in GWs than your Dragon, meaning a max 3 squads of GWs. That’s 9 GWs, if not just 6 at the lower end of competitive point totals. Compare that to AGs.

Spoiler Alert!

Always 6 figures ahead. Interestingly, 520-525 might be their competitive plateau. From there, other squads can up their numbers so they can trade equally and still have room for range support. I think this is most obvious from Boromir’s VCheese army (Knights x4, Gilbert, Raelin, MW). Knights below that point total have to sacrifice something: A squad or two, range support, Raelin, or a combination of those.
Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I need more results. Plus, most of those Nilf armies you listed are unoptimized; Marro Warriors + Filler is much worse than getting the 3rd squad of Greenscales. For example, at 450, the best Nilf army is Nilf, Rae, 3x Greenies. Marro Warriors just aren't necessary when you already have a dragon.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion