Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphic View Post
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - My favorite authors, from science thriller to unexplained murders mysteries these guys are Awesome. Pendergast is the new Holmes.

Warren Fahy - Fragment - Excellent thriller similar to a Jurassic Park in scope and quality.

James Axler - Deathlands Series - Who doesn't like some good old post nuke survival horror.

David Golemon - Event Series - Poorly edited, but great stories and some really cool fresh ideas.
Love all those guys save Axler, whom I haven't read, so no opinion on him. I don't know if you're aware, but Golemon just released a fantastic horror/ghost story titled The Supernaturals. I don't read widely in that genre, but the book is excellent.
Sweet, I was not aware of that new book. The last one I read was his latest Event group thriller.

Warren Fahy apparently has a sequel coming.

Axler is not bad, Deathlands is a drug-mart mass produced paperback series. I believe there are 110 novels in the series now. It is about 200 years after the Nukes and it follows a band of survivalists as they travel the wasteland dealing with daily life and taking out bad Barons who run all the cities and towns like mini-kingdoms. Very violent, graphic, and excellent. I read my first Deathlands book almost 20 years ago.

Any other authors you could recommend similar to the ones I listed? Besides James Rollins. (Another good one I forgot)

Cheers,

Delphic

Neg Rep of the Year :

"Desre for good grammar makes one looking to destroy fun??"

I love it when the overly critical can't meet their own expectations.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My wife and I just finished the Harry Potter books and thoroughly enjoyed them.We decided to listen to them (on unabridged audiobook) after watching one of the movies.
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:30 AM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphic View Post
Any other authors you could recommend similar to the ones I listed? Besides James Rollins. (Another good one I forgot)

Cheers,

Delphic
Sure! If you like Rollins and Golemon, you might like these guys-

Jeremy Robinson
Andy McDermott
Matthew Reilly
Sean Ellis
Graham Brown
Thomas Greanias
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Old November 4th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I was 60 pages into Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.

And then I realized I should be reading the definitive edition. So I'm going to start that tonight.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

I'm in the middle of:

A Storm of Swords

From the Game of Thrones series. I loved the HBO series and by episode 5, I decided to start reading the books. WOW, what a world of intrigue, violence, back stabbing, Mr. Martin has created. His writing makes me feel as if I am at Winterfell, or on the Wall at Castle black, or on the banks of the Trident fighting with the Lannisters.

I cant remember the last time a series of books has sucked me in this deep.

Just finished:

Hunger Games

A very nice fast read, should make a good movie when it comes out.

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Someone suggested Tom Clancy to me when I mentioned that I was a big fan of Michael Crichton. I'm currently about halfway through The Hunt for Red October, and loving it.
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:58 AM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post
Someone suggested Tom Clancy to me when I mentioned that I was a big fan of Michael Crichton. I'm currently about halfway through The Hunt for Red October, and loving it.
We must have the same taste in great authors. I have read all of Tom Clancy's books and they are all very good. I am also a huge Michael Crichton fan.

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
God, I miss the Cold War.
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:14 AM

machinekng knows what's in an order marker machinekng knows what's in an order marker machinekng knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
I've a good few of his books. I still can't decide whether I like Red Storm Rising or Executive Orders better. I still need to read the Bear and the Dragon to complete the main series.

And as of now, the book I'm reading is For The Common Defense: A Military History of the United States of America by Allan R. Millet and Peter Maslowski.
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahavice View Post
I'm in the middle of:

A Storm of Swords

From the Game of Thrones series. I loved the HBO series and by episode 5, I decided to start reading the books. WOW, what a world of intrigue, violence, back stabbing, Mr. Martin has created. His writing makes me feel as if I am at Winterfell, or on the Wall at Castle black, or on the banks of the Trident fighting with the Lannisters.

I cant remember the last time a series of books has sucked me in this deep.

If you're like me, you never have been and never will be again. They are the best books I've ever read, and I've read the first 3 about 10 times each.

Now I'm reading:

Which is entertaining so far, but not as deep as A Song of Ice and Fire.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books