Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old May 31st, 2014, 11:36 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Finally got to play Sails of Glory. Played a couple games and it was a blast. Similar in the very basic sense of programmed movement as X-Wing, but much more complex and oozing with theme. Harder to maneuver these ships as there are so many more movement options, as well as having to deal with different effects of wind. You have to basically play too movement cards at a time but only resolve one at a time, as well as any actions and combat that goes with that move. You also can't just keep shooting as you have to spend an action during a turn to reload from the side of the ship that fired the previous turn.

There are cool damage effects like leaks, fires, damaged masts, sails and rudders. Some things can be fixed bu they take time, meanwhile you can be taking on water or fire damage each turn.

Here's some pics.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:44 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nice Hahma! Did you play with advanced rules like crew actions? It really does ooze theme. We are were supposed to play at work last week, but we tried Marvel Dice Masters and didn't stop. I got some mouse pad player mats for $2 and finally picked up a big dice tray so my buddy Stephen would stop rolling to the floor. Hopefully I can start teaching him Sails of Glory next week.
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:34 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

It looks like a lot of fun Hahma. I remember GC in Milwaukee, some guys were playing a naval battle in an open hallway. Massively scaled. Sails of Glory reminds me of the old Pirates video game I used to play on the C64.

You get to play games at work G-O? I am in the wrong business.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:38 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Nice Hahma! Did you play with advanced rules like crew actions? It really does ooze theme. We are were supposed to play at work last week, but we tried Marvel Dice Masters and didn't stop. I got some mouse pad player mats for $2 and finally picked up a big dice tray so my buddy Stephen would stop rolling to the floor. Hopefully I can start teaching him Sails of Glory next week.
Yeah, we played the advanced rules. Go big or go home

It was funny because I busted the mast of my buddy Brian's ship twice in a game and I think he said there's like only a 3% chance of drawing mast damage. I just said that my guys had good aim

I had some rudder damage on my Frigate but it wasn't a big deal as my whatever number (can't recall the term) was like 7, so it only reduced it to 6 until I fixed it. I also had a leak in the first game that had to be fixed. Brian had gotten 2 leaks on his frigate in one game and it took a while to fix and pump out. That's the neat thing is that fixing damage takes time and actions, and as your ship gets more damaged you get fewer actions, so you have to sacrifice something.

It's interesting and cool how you have to reload from the side you shot from and that it takes a whole turn to do that, so once you fire from one side, you have to wait for a couple turns before you can fire again from that side.

I also learned the hard way about raking fire, as I got hammered by that. By the time I got to use raking fire, my ship was pretty banged up and had less firepower and wasn't as effective.

You'll have to leave the Marvel Dice Masters at home and play SoG You and that legendary lunch of yours You will need some time and space to get in SoG at lunch.

Old June 1st, 2014, 10:27 AM

Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun

Hey cool Hahma sounds like a fun game. I've heard of Sails of Glory before, but never read into it much. Seems like it has some similarities to the X-Wing game.
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:47 AM

Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun Good Pig is a penguin with a machine gun

Some games I've played in the last month:

Star Wars LCG
Race for the Galaxy
Splendor
The Convoy
Marvel Dice Masters
DC Deck Building game
Lords of Waterdeep
King of Tokyo
Telestrations
Wits & Wagers Party edition
Thebes card game
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:51 AM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have been taking a look at Sails of Glory since I discovered its existence two days ago. Its made by the same company that currently makes Wings of Glory, which is a reboot of Wings of War, which I've been playing a lot of lately. The basic mechanics are similar throughout the games, and they are quite comparable to X-Wing in terms of basic mechanics.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:56 AM

I've been wanting to try a fun pirate themed game and it seems like its an elusive beast. Was looking at Merchants and Marauders but a lot of people say there's too much down time in it. There was a new one coming out soon that I've been watching on BGG called Black Fleet. Looks promising.
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:00 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I just acquired a game called, I think, Skyline 3000 from a tourney prize table. It's from the same designer as Ticket To Ride. It is a game where the players are competing within the same city (on an alien planet in the future) to do the best job of developing the city. Haven't tried it yet.

Played 7 games of small-scale Heat of Battle yesterday at a Heroscape tournament. I went 4-3 for 5th place. My first two losses were called on time and still could have gone either way. My 3rd loss I got creamed by R˙chean.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 1st, 2014, 12:14 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Pig View Post
I've been wanting to try a fun pirate themed game and it seems like its an elusive beast. Was looking at Merchants and Marauders but a lot of people say there's too much down time in it. There was a new one coming out soon that I've been watching on BGG called Black Fleet. Looks promising.
M & M is awesome, the best pirate game I've played. It does take a long time to learn and at least a few hours to play though. The 2nd best pirate game I've played is Plunder, which you can get dirt cheap and is easier to learn and shorter to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 1st, 2014, 12:31 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
You'll have to leave the Marvel Dice Masters at home and play SoG You and that legendary lunch of yours You will need some time and space to get in SoG at lunch.
It's funny you mention it because I just "acquired" a large tabletop for/from work. It will be more than big enough for 2 sea mats. Since we can leave it up indefinitely, we will now be able to play WWX, Dust Warfare, etc. at work. I am torn because starting the middle of June, World Cup "lunch" will eat into game lunches for a little while, but it is only once every 4 years.
Old June 1st, 2014, 12:40 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Hey cool Hahma sounds like a fun game. I've heard of Sails of Glory before, but never read into it much. Seems like it has some similarities to the X-Wing game.
I think the similarities to X-Wing are mostly that there are different types of ships to use and there is programmed move and actions. But SoG has trickier movement because of wind affecting movement based on which way the ship is facing and also the wind being able to change direction. In our first game the wind changed a lot and the second game had it consistently have it come out of the west.

While you can take different types of damage in both games, like other stuff in SoG, special damage takes longer to repair than in X-Wing. You also get more actions to start in SoG, depending on your ship, but as you take damage, you will eventually start losing actions.

I think that people that play X-Wing can get a pretty good handle on SoG. Though there are no dice, as damage tokens are drawn out of different bags and damage is resolved at the end of combat so it's simultaneous, and there is no initiative in the same sense as there is for X-Wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
I have been taking a look at Sails of Glory since I discovered its existence two days ago. Its made by the same company that currently makes Wings of Glory, which is a reboot of Wings of War, which I've been playing a lot of lately. The basic mechanics are similar throughout the games, and they are quite comparable to X-Wing in terms of basic mechanics.
Yeah, as I mentioned above, there are some similarities to X-Wing and Wings of War. I've only played Wings of War once and I enjoyed it a good bit.

Quote:
I played Merchants and Marauders once and enjoyed it. It's a 3 hour game, so there is going to be some downtime. I would play it once in a while, but it's not one I'd play on a regular basis. Black Fleet looks like it will be a much faster game (like only one hour) and more casual gamer friendly. So hopefully one of the guys in my game group will get it so I can check it out.

Had a bit of time this morning before taking on the housework and got in a game of Police Precinct. Added the cards from The Heat and Rioting Gangs expansion and it was fun. Played it on easier level with one of my daughters and we managed to get all the evidence, handle plenty of emergencies and capture the murderer with the Crime Track on level 3 of 6 (6 means you lose, or you also lose if the Murderer escapes). You have several rounds to collect evidence and handle emergencies, bust punks and deal with special events before the murderer even comes into play, but you have to have all the evidence before you can even attempt to arrest him.

Larger view of the end game.

Closer view of Detective Kinney and the support vehicle (used for 2p games) arresting the murderer (black token of guy with knife). They ignored the burglars emergency at the nearby warehouse, as the murderer was top priority

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games