Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old March 19th, 2014, 05:19 PM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Lyrgard's custom terain

For a long time, I read the various thread in this forum thinking of how beautifull some customs are, and that it could be a cool thing to try.

I decided to give it a try, and I began with an easy custom terrain piece : a basic bridge.

I saw a lot of people used popsicle wood to make one, but I had some little crate in my garage, so I used that.

I cut a side of the crate into thin strip with an X-acto and then cut them to the needed size to make little planks.

First photos, before painting :

under :

The two little planks under are used to prevent the bridge from sliding. They fit just right between the hex.

I first put a first layer of black spray paint, then painted it with dark brown :

Then two dry brushing, with light and lighter brown (first time doing a dry brushing ever !) :

close up :

I had done what I planned ! But I found it was a little... bare

So I used pincers to cut a nail into very small bits. I then used pliers to drive thoses little bits into the wood, to figurate nails.

It was a little too "clean", so I added so touchs of black on them and here is the result !

I just have to mark the hex on the bridge and add a varnish and I will be done !

Very simple project, took me a couple evenings, and I'm happy with the result. Thanks to all of you that gave me the motivation to do it by showing your great customs !
Old March 19th, 2014, 06:25 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Lyrgard's custom terain

Looks great! The nails are a nice touch.
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:07 PM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
Looks great! The nails are a nice touch.

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.
Old March 19th, 2014, 11:48 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well now I officially have to actually up and do some custom terrain... This will probably be my starter project as well.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old March 20th, 2014, 01:06 PM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Great looking bridge!!! Love the nails as well. Seems bridges are alot of peoples starter projects. It was my first as well.
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:20 PM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker

Did you do any work on weathering them, or did they happen to be like that from the original crate? Either way, it looks really good! I like the nails as well.

This is where I began also... I think it is because it is easy and requires few products to get you started.
Old March 20th, 2014, 11:37 PM

Xor has disabled reputation

That is phenomenal... the rough edges and unevenness of the planks is perfect... and the nails too - wow!

I would like to see a picture with some sort of hex delineation, if you can... not sure how you would do that as it looks so perfect as is but you kind of need those markings?
Old March 21st, 2014, 03:47 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks all for your kinds words.

@Dr.Goomonkey : well, now I'm waiting to see your first bridge !

@jcmcminis : probably because the ratio of "difficulty to make" to "looks good on a battlefield" is so good with bridges. A simple one like mine is SO easy to do and still is not too shabby on a map. Your bridge is larger, and have those nice little chain, if I remeber, right ?

@bacchus : I didn't do any weathering work. In fact, the wood of the crate is quite frail and "crude". After making the thin strip, I cut them with scissor, and some time I didn't cut them to the end but finish by dending the wood on the cut back and forth and tearing it, to make unclean edges. Apart for the edge, it is the original aspect of the crate's wood. (It is quite technical, sorry if I didn't use the good words to describe what I did. Was it clear enough to understand ?)

@Xor : thanks ! I used a lead pencil to mark the delineation on the bridge. It don't show too much, but if you have the right angle with the source of light, it is suddently brighter. I still ponder as whether let it like that or use a brown pen on it.
the requested photos (the light is bad)

with this angle, the light is reflected by the mark

I expect the brown pen to show a little more but to don't reflect the light. What do you think ?
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:19 AM

This time, I used the bottom of the crate I used for the bridge. This bottom had an interesting texture.

I cut hex forms in it :

To prevent them from sliding once put on top of heroscape tiles, I glued part of matchsticks under, so that it fit just right on heroscape tiles

Then, I painted them with silver paint

I put a little black paint on water to make a sort of ink and put it on them

It make them really dark at first, but it lighten when it dry

And here is the result, on a map :

I just have now to mark the hex delineation for the 2 and 7 hex tiles. I'll probably make more en them, especially 1 hex tiles, and probably 3 hex tiles. I'll also make a 5 hex "bridge" tiles to make a metalic footbridge of sort.

They don't have special rules, they are just here to enhance maps, but some scenario could give them some special properties.
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:52 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Those look fantastique! Great for a sci-fi battle. For some reason they make me want to print miniature "Caution: Wet Floor" signs and come with slippery tile rules...
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:39 AM

Haha, I may just make that sign, now XD

On the french forum, a member has a custom rule for ice tiles :
when a figure enters an ice tile, it is obliged to move in the same straight line until it is not on a ice tile anymore.

Thanks
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:25 PM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
Those look fantastique! Great for a sci-fi battle. For some reason they make me want to print miniature "Caution: Wet Floor" signs and come with slippery tile rules...
Why was I not subscribed to this thread?!?!

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles