Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:00 AM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Castle Grayskull (MOTU) Custom

I'm just wondering if much of your detail will be lost visually if you do paint it all dark colors & black. If you do keep it dark I would suggest being very liberal with light or white drybrushing to bring out all that fine detail you put into it already.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:42 AM

ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Man View Post
I'm just wondering if much of your detail will be lost visually if you do paint it all dark colors & black. If you do keep it dark I would suggest being very liberal with light or white drybrushing to bring out all that fine detail you put into it already.
Good point - but don't worry! As I'll be keeping it true to the 80's original it will be dark greens and blacks - but I'll be washing it (I think - still playing around with ideas) with a dirty grey to give the recesses a mortar-like appearance. That should separate the 'rocks' into 'bricks' as I'm going for a 'rising up out of the stone of the mountain' effect. But you're right - the key will be highlighting it to define the rugged walls. I'll also be using dull bronzes and golds here and there to further lighten things up.

Am currently working on job appliciations - but am obviously procrastinating at the moment - and am hoping to get downstairs later to get back into it. I want to finish the castle soon before my interest in the project wanes. As it does...

Thanks for all the comments!

G.

Betty or Veronica...?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy-scaper View Post
I want to finish the castle soon before my interest in the project wanes.

G.
Please don't let that happen. This is way too cool of a project (and you have done so much work on it) to not ever see it completed. It looks like it would be a huge success to me if you were to move into painting it next without adding any thing more. So if you are getting burnt out on creating all the detail work, you have enough to satisfy most everyone on the planet.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:38 AM

ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hi there all (esp. those still wondering if this project will ever get finished),

Progress is moving along in fits and spurts. Work on Grayskull fits in nicely between every other damn job that gets in the way of actually doing stuff I enjoy (think - renovations, work, mowing a zombie-like lawn that just...won't...die...).

Anyway, here's where I'm up to.

As you can see I've finished the 'joining' section that allows for the open position of the castle. Very tedious - lots of fiddly work...

Above - where the telescope/lab and garage will go. I'm already working on HS friendly Battle Ram Sky Sleds (c'mon you 80's kids - you know what I'm talkin' about) to go in the garage. Will also be making a telescope to rise up off the balcony. Imagine it all painted and less 'plastic bits stuck on wood' when finished.

Above - armoury. When finished clay/plaster will blend plastic pieces into rock wall. Also, I've ordered some random weapons that will be glued to the grey wall pieces - sort of like a shop display for violent people looking for laser guns...

Above - how the rear 'hall' section of the castle will look when closed up. When painted the grey hex plate facing you will look like a modern He-Man icon. I'll also be including flags/drapery hanging down either side of the centre elevator column.

Above - close up of the rough/unfinished turret that will form the elevator. The elevator platform will rise up and finish level with the turret floor. The uprights will eventually be shaped into skeletal fingers to match the front of the castle.

Above - an up-to-date outside shot. When finished the castle will have a flag rising out of the column atop the dome, as well as three laser turrets. The elevator 'skeletal fingers' will be sanded to be thinner again.

I've finished a lot of the pesky details and am preparing (soon) to start painting. Another project will involve making a tower to stand directly inside the castle courtyard (when displayed open) that will have walkways leading off from it to meet the other walkways, thus making a fully functional gaming playset when either open or closed.

Ultimately I also want to throw together a huge stand that will display the castle open, and will form the 'bowels' of Grayskull. It'll be huge and visually amazing. I've already got the materials, and it'll be simply two huge pieces of MDF, columns inside made out of plumber's supplies, and a facade of foam or bark and clay. Stay tuned...

Yeah - the project is getting kinda huge... but it's also proving to be a lot of fun. Just wish I had more time to work on it...

Thoughts...?

G.

Betty or Veronica...?
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Truly a thing of beauty!!!
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM

crxcowboy is surprisingly tart

I think someone earlier said it right....this is not a custom, it's a battlefield!
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Popsicle stick Admiral

Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Its been a while, has there been any more progress on this amazing custom??
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktroll View Post
Its been a while, has there been any more progress on this amazing custom??
Uh ... you mean in the last three hours??
By the way - this looks amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Outstanding. I do have a question about the 3rd floor access. I see the ladders that take you up to the 2nd level, and the elevator will bring you to the top (4th level), but how do you get figures up to the 3rd level?
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM

Charr21 Woo who?

Wow. That is incredible. Great work great work bravo!!

The best thing to say when your best unit has been destroyed:

What is this?
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:36 PM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker

This just keeps getting better. I can't wait to see it when it's finished. + Rep.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Outstanding. I do have a question about the 3rd floor access. I see the ladders that take you up to the 2nd level, and the elevator will bring you to the top (4th level), but how do you get figures up to the 3rd level?

Betty or Veronica...?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles