Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 19th, 2010, 09:40 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker
Re: Dice Quirks

OK, so your original point was a joke... therefore my comments don't apply to you.

The theory I've expounded ('self-fulfilling prophecy', visualisation) is one I utilise because
a) I've got nothing to lose by using it, at least it focusses the mind on the task at hand;
b) I've had success while using it that may or may not be related to the theory;
c) many elite sportspeople use visualiation techniques.

I'm happy to keep discussing it in your 'joke' thread, if no one else minds.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old September 19th, 2010, 09:55 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedChops View Post
OK, so your original point was a joke... therefore my comments don't apply to you.

The theory I've expounded ('self-fulfilling prophecy', visualisation) is one I utilise because
a) I've got nothing to lose by using it, at least it focusses the mind on the task at hand;
b) I've had success while using it that may or may not be related to the theory;
c) many elite sportspeople use visualiation techniques.

I'm happy to keep discussing it in your 'joke' thread, if no one else minds.

CRC
Ok, the thread itself is not a joke, I made one little joke that now I wish I had never made because it has been blown way out of proportion. This thread was intended to discuss fun ways that people try to conquer dice rolling. I didn't have "self fulfilling prophecy" in mind when I made this thread. I get your point.

If self fulfilling prophecies relates to your dice rolling quirks, I got no problem with you discussing it here.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Well, my second post in this thread details how self fulfilling prophecies COULD affect dice rolling IN THEORY... hence why I brought it up...

I missed the one 'one little joke' you made. The internet obviously needs a laugh track so I know when to giggle.

And to anyone who thinks I'm a whacko - most of your NFL, baseball, basketball and Olympic teams are full of whackos too! Remember that when you cheer them on!

CRC

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Well, my second post in this thread details how self fulfilling prophecies COULD affect dice rolling IN THEORY... hence why I brought it up...

I missed the one 'one little joke' you made. The internet obviously needs a laugh track so I know when to giggle.

And to anyone who thinks I'm a whacko - most of your NFL, baseball, basketball and Olympic teams are full of whackos too! Remember that when you cheer them on!

CRC
Yes, in theory self fulfilling prophecies could make it seem like you are a worse dice roller than you are. The whole debate as to the whole theory behind the theory of self fulfilling prophecies got a little out of hand, especially taking place in a thread about dice quirks.

If you want to discuss it more in a civilized fashion, I'd be happy to set you up with a thread in the General Section dedicated to the Civilized discussion of Self Fulfilling Prophecies. (laugh now)

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
Quote:

CRC
Yes, in theory self fulfilling prophecies could make it seem like you are a worse dice roller than you are. The whole debate as to the whole theory behind the theory of self fulfilling prophecies got a little out of hand, especially taking place in a thread about dice quirks.

If you want to discuss it more in a civilized fashion, I'd be happy to set you up with a thread in the General Section dedicated to the Civilized discussion of Self Fulfilling Prophecies. (laugh now)
BWAAA HA HAA.

~ CRC

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby!

I can't believe this thread about quirky dice rolling habits turned into a debate about one sentence said in passing. Which in turn led to two active members bickering over smileys. JsChild, you need to lighten up. You went totally overboard over the 10% comment. There was no reason to immediately go into debate mode and and start quoting things. And CapnRedChops, you took JsChild's response way too seriously.

But back to the original topic, I always use the Valkyrie Dice of whichever general represents the largest amount of my army. This seems to help the most. Also, when attacking I declare the target of the attack and use the full title of all units involved. For example, "The Axegrinder of Burning Forge is attacking the Ninja of the Northern Wind." That seems to work for me. Not really related to the actual rolling, but it seems to work.

P.S. Sorry if this comes off a little harsh, it just seems that there are a lot of pointless arguments on this site which is one reason I don't post very often.
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM

HSLuv Woo who?

When my buddy really needs a good roll he blows on the dice.

When anyone in our games is rolling for the "game changing" roll, we go to the other side of the room and roll the dice one at a time, throwing them across the room against the wall. It doesn't really help, but it makes the roll a whole lot more dramatic and intense
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I have this insane superstition that, assuming no-one is cheating, the probabilities of rolling particular symbols depends only on the number of said symbols on the dice.

I'd love to see someone who "rolls badly" track their rolls. I think Killercactus did a similar thing at one point.

And just to slice the CRC/JSChild debate finer still, here's my take:

Your brain does not affect the reality. Your brain does affect your perception of the reality. If you believe that you roll dice poorly then you are likely to give more conceptual weight to the bad rolls than the good, thus reinforcing your (incorrect) worldview.
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I actually have tracked my rolls for a few games after another player had the audacity to claim he rolled worst than me. After 3 or 4 long games it was no competition, I was the hands down bad roll winner, which by the way was well below average. In fact I am excited whenever I roll average. I prefer to roll the red and blue dice for I would rather see blanks then a bunch of skulls when I need shields. I actually had my best game of rolling two nights ago. For some reason when I picked up my dice and rolled without shaking them first, I rolled amazing. I did not let them fall straight down, I threw them with decent force into a box, so they still rolled. Best of luck to all fellow bad dice rollers. peace

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Geryon has disabled reputation

wow that JSChild sure is a nice guy who I am sure is great fun at parties.

Sorry CRC, I don't know about what it is like in Australia, but ever since the Bush Years 2000-2008 just about everyone in America has turned cynical and bitter.
Especially on the internet where they don't fear social reprisal.
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geryon View Post
wow that JSChild sure is a nice guy who I am sure is great fun at parties.

Sorry CRC, I don't know about what it is like in Australia, but ever since the Bush Years 2000-2008 just about everyone in America has turned cynical and bitter.
Especially on the internet where they don't fear social reprisal.
No problem, I wasn't upset, I was making a point to keep the convo civil.
I actually admire what I've read of his logic, he's just way too quick to get out the blowtorch.

CRC

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:16 PM

SabastianBludd is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
For initiative rolls I use my lucky d20 that I got in the D&D Minis game starter set. I have barely ever rolled badly with that. My father always says that there isn't such a thing as "lucky dice".
The way D20's are made today, there absolutely are "lucky dice" (well, lucky D20's at any rate). There's a gentleman that frequents gaming conventions who sells his own dice that he manufactures himself and he has proven that quirks in the industrial dice-making process results in most D20's being egg-shaped (IIRC it has to do with the dice being placed in a ball mill to remove paint, resulting in uneven wear on the faces' corners). If you have a D20 that's egg-shaped in the "right" way you'll consistently roll higher numbers. I'll see if I can find the video I watched.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion