Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM

hexplex? knows what's in an order marker hexplex? knows what's in an order marker hexplex? knows what's in an order marker
Re: Looking for a new book to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blite View Post
Thanks everybody now I'm just going to have to make a list of all these books and see if I can find them

Question: Do you mind language in the books you read?
I hope you don't, seems like it might be hard to find a book without language in it.

*Edit: If you don't mind bad words check out anything but "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk

Last edited by hexplex?; December 3rd, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!

If you were to take the forum posts of our banned members and put them into a bound edition you'd have a book without language in it.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Blite is surprisingly tart

Yes, I've read all of Twilight series and the Host ^_^

And no I don't mind language lol

Blite was Syvarris the Visionary...
in the OBSIDIAN CAVE... (forever to seek revenge on Lord Pyre)
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Bill Newby knows what's in an order marker Bill Newby knows what's in an order marker

Gates of Fire, Steven Pressfield ... Battle of Thermopylae ... One of the best books I have ever read in my entire reading-filled life.
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanNinja View Post
Let's see how much substance you can take... read David Copperfield.
Another book of "substance"... Moby Dick. The chapter on classification was especially daunting and that was before I realized he was almost completely wrong.

If you like fantasy, my son is now reading the "Rangers Apprentice" series. It's quite good... but definitely not deep. Lots of action, which I'm sure appeals to the target audience.

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"

Last edited by Phaethon; December 4th, 2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post
Quote:
Another book of "substance"... Moby Dick. The chapter on classification was especially daunting and that was before I realized he was almost completely wrong.
That, sir, is definitely a book of "substance." I barely got through that book... it is quite boring from what I recall...

I would never recommend that book to anyone. Although I might try reading it again when I find time... but don't hold me to it .

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson is another good book, and, no worries, it doesn't have half the substance as Moby Dick... well, maybe half, but it's actually interesting.

Whether to believe or disbelieve, it is a wicked thing to take away men’s hope.

Old December 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Shardik by Richard Adams. I'm practically working for that guy lately, I've been plugging his work so much.

Old December 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

1984?

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That, sir, is definitely a book of "substance." I barely got through that book... it is quite boring from what I recall...

I would never recommend that book to anyone. Although I might try reading it again when I find time... but don't hold me to it .
My favourite literary theory about Moby Dick (from a lit student friend): it's deliberately really long and really boring to capture the mindset of really long, really boring, sea voyages.
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My favourite literary theory about Moby Dick (from a lit student friend): it's deliberately really long and really boring to capture the mindset of really long, really boring, sea voyages.
! I like that theory a lot, ollie!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby!

Ditto on Shogun and Moby Dick.

ALSO...

If you aren't reading George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, then you are not living life to it's fullest.
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in agreement with that statement! It certainly captures both of those qualities very well.

The Dark Tower and Other Stories by C.S. Lewis is a good book... it's a collection of short stories and the incomplete manuscript The Dark Tower. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Whether to believe or disbelieve, it is a wicked thing to take away men’s hope.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books