Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
As it turns out, I'm an idiot.

As some of you have noticed, I have a penchant for saying "I don't like that. I'm going to change it." It popped up with flying rules, Jotun, DW7K and, most notably, disengagement rules. My problem with disengagement rules eventually tied back to another thread regarding who an engaged figure could target. My first reaction was "Great. Something else I have to fix. " So I started calculating away, improvising ever more complex rules.

Until I realized "I'm an idiot."

I was falling into a trap that I have lectured dozens of other gamers about. This is a game of toy people fighting each other on an alien planet. Don't try to make it realistic. I have to look at it as a game of chess. It's about strategy, not realism.

So to all of the players with years of experiance who told me "You're naive; don't change it" (all much more nicely than that) to whom I answered "You're stuck in a rut; I'll change whatever I want" I apologize. I wasn't looking at the big picture. Part of what drew me to HS is its simple ruleset, but in less that a month I began trying to multiply its complexity.

I can't promise that this is the last that you'll hear from me regarding houserules (I still think that Jotun should be able to throw an ally without having to make a d20 roll ), but I do promise to think a little longer before trying to dramatically reconfigure keystone rules.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and respectful attitudes towards my idiocy. No matter how many times anyone corrected me, they never degenerated into becoming abusive. Everyone has been very polite to me, and I'll get around to +repping you all as fast as I can (stupid limit of 5/day )

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!
Re: As it turns out, I'm an idiot.

Um, dude, you've been here a month and this may be the second post that I've ever read that you've authored. I've never noticed you change anything, ever, at all.

There's no such thing as stupid when someone is trying new scenarios or house rules to enhance the game. You may indeed be an idiot of the highest order, but thus far this post is the only one that would indicate this.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

You think your rules are uneeded... try reading some of mine lol.

I try to make rules to add certain feels to the game... I go ahead and go over board with them, then as I think them out cut them back keeping just what is needed to keep the feel I was going for. And just about every time, I end up back to plain old heroscape...
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Hey Killometer...making house rules is fun...dont stop. Maybe making rules that add to the rules rather than change them is the way to go.

PS I liked our debate even though it got deleted
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

Seeing as how your house rules or just plain criticisms don't affect anyone unless they choose to adopt them, there's no need to apologize. It would be pretty boring if everyone thought the game was perfect, and no game starts out that way. Even the game of chess we play today is quite different from older versions thanks to refinement, and refinement starts with criticism.

Play the game the way you like.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM

Scott knows what's in an order marker Scott knows what's in an order marker

You know, the place you can really have fun with house rules in Heroscape is in designing scenarios (glyph placement, objectives, etc). That's a fun challenge of balancing fairness and fun.

I thought the whole thread was a good debate/discussion and it got me thinking about how HS works and why I like it that way. Net gain, if you ask me.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

But seriously, you can play the game however you like, really. It's just been balanced a certain way, and that's why people like it nice and simple.
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
(I still think that Jotun should be able to throw an ally without having to make a d20 roll ),
I'd probably be on board with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Just throw him up to a higher level.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I reread my original post and I realized that I got a little long winded in the beginning-you're not getting another apology for that -and I kind of glossed over the main point that I wanted to make.

I really want to emphasize how much I appreciate everyone's attitudes. I have been a member of many forums where a thread like my disengagement one would have degenerated into a flame war attacking my newbieness before the end of the first page. But everyone here kept a friendly nature, and that's a rarity on the internet.

THAT'S why I'm passing out the +reps, and I'd like to thank everyone again for their positive posts.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
(I still think that Jotun should be able to throw an ally without having to make a d20 roll ),
I'd probably be on board with this one.
Me, too. That really should have been on the card anyway.
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Scapegeek is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
Just throw him up to a higher level.
Or send him for a swim.

Almost only counts with shotguns and hand grenades.
You found the secret message!
Rice Click my scroll

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion