Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Old August 17th, 2022, 12:30 AM

KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker
Re: 2022 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 2 until 8/29

Dysole and I just finished a very tense game. I rolled out the omnicrons while Dysole hunted with the mohicans.

Round 1 Dysole won initiative and deployed Kolbjorn towards the wannok side of the map and developed the river tribe onto the road up north. My first turn I used omnicron mobilization to position Betacron in the middle of the 7 hex sand outside my start zone where his sentry mode range covered wannok and 2 treasure glyphs. As Dysole slow rolled the mohicans my repulsors went on the offensive and started picking off mohicans. By rounds end, my repulsors had killed 2 mohicans.

Round 2, I won initiative and killed another mohican with a stray repulsor shot. While I was taking these shots I continued to develop snipers and repulsors. After my second turn of the second round I checked my attack percent and it was at 83%!! Granted I had only rolled 6 dice, but the attacks were succeeding on the low defense tribesmen. Dysole's turn 2 she rushed 2 mohicans into engagement, killed a sniper and then used Kolbjorn to attack and kill a second sniper. Betacron took his first sentry mode shot at Kolby as he ran in but missed it. My turn 3 I thought I was in a good position, I moved a couple snipers and was primed for 3 attacks of 2 on the mohicans engaged outside my start zone. My attack luck had run out however, and I went 0/2 on each attack, bringing Dysole back into the game. Dysole responded by killing 2 repulsors and another sniper on her next turn in addition to taking wannok with Kolbjorn. I placed that wound on Betacron as I wanted to save my squads for later.

I won a big initiative round 3 and proceeded to developed Omegacron up and took out a tribesman. Dysole took a risk this turn, an LEA to hopefully set up 2 attacks, one of 4 and one of 3 on Omegacron. I luckily hit the LEA and Dysole opted to kill another sqaudie instead. My turn 2 I moved Omega unto the 7 hex sand next to the road, killed a mohican and dealt one wound to Kolbjorn. Dysole used turn 2 to move the final mohican onto wannok, but betacron hit a sentry mode and ended that turn. My turn 3, I positioned more repulsors and my final 2 snipers to try and take out Kolbjorn who had moved far into my territory. My first shot dealt one wound and my next attack was 3/3 on skulls killing Kolbjorn. Dysole used turn 3 to march forward a few makwa.

Round four was more of a trading war. Dysole won initiative and began by having Brave Arrow move forward allowing 6 teeth to develop. We traded teeth and repulsors and by rounds end, I had 5 repulsors, 2 snipers, full health Omega, and 1/2 Betacron. Dysole had 6 makwa and 1/4 Brave Arrow who had just soaked a wannok wound.

Round 5: Dysole won initiative and we both spent our first turn of the round failing to inflict any damage. However, Dysole's turn 3, she killed a sniper and two repulsors. We trade some more casualties and I am losing this exchange. I end the round with Full health Omega, 1/2 Betacron and a lone repulsor vs. 1/4 Brave arrow and 4 teeth.

Round 6 I win a crucial initiative, as I am able to maneuver Betacron up towards Omega and position the repulser adjacent to two teeth. However, Dysole's d20, after being unhelpful regarding concealment and shield of the great bear all game, hits back to back saves on a teeth. She kills the repulsor and Omega blocks the other attack. Omega clears out 2 more teeth and we enter the end game. With 1 teeth left, engaged to Betacron, Brave arrow grabs wannok. Brave Arrow's concealment is very scary, 10+ with +1 for every space between the attacker and him makes shooting with Omega not very appealing. So I choose to try to grab a treasure glyph. I rolled a 1 and take a wound, and then on top of that, the teeth blocks both of Omega's attacks. matters got worse as a 2 on wannok forced me to either put a second wound on Omega or kill Betacron who was the only thing standing between the final makwa and a heighted attack on Omega. After a while of thinking, I determined Omega should take the wound because I thought a LEA plus sentry would discourage Dysole from trying to attack Omega with the makwa and so I could focus on Brave Arrow.

Round 7, this is a big one. I win initiative and want to avoid a 4v6 from the teeth so after picking up the Talisman of Defense, I take both shots on the tooth, thankfully picking up the kill. Dysole went all in on Brave Arrow who bravely charged the giant soulborg and lands a huge 3/4 attack on Omega. Due to height and ToD, I have 8 defense, but this roll could determine the game. Omega blocks all three skulls like a champ and returns fire killing Brave Arrow with a final attack of 3/4 skulls.

GG Dysole, that was an intense game!! Always a pleasure playing.

Kolbjorn:
Kolbjorn did not do a ton this game, but he continues to be an excellent aid to the the River tribe. His fearsome stalker ability is super handy, and a ranged bonder is always good. Dysole never had an opportunity to use call the the hunt but I really like the power in this iteration as it opens up Kolbjorn's usefulness to a lot more builds. Giant slayer is great on him as well, giving him a bit more punch against key figures.

Betacron:
Betacron is awesome. I have gotten to play him 2 games in a row and he is a blast. This game he was awesome again going 3/7 on sentry mode, still above average and each time you roll it it feels important. He provides interesting decisions for both the player and the opponent. Obviously it creates interesting decisions for your opponent as they must be very careful in the sequencing of their units. However, as Dysole and I were talking after the game it occurred to me that the Betacron player can also play around the sequencing your opponent inevitably needs to do. There were a few occasions throughout the game that I moved Betacron to try and limit Dysole's advance on Omegacron, however this also freed Dysole to take the risk with figures up north in order to give her forces in the south a guarantee unto wannok. A very fun thing I intend to consider when next I play him. As a addition to the cron faction, he is so fun. Having a mobile unit with sentry mode really elevates him. When I played against Grey Waves, he never moved, but against Dysole this evening, he was moving a lot! I am a really big fan how his presence can affect how games are played and he fits wonderfully into the cron faction. I am still not sold on Omnicron patrol but the rest of the unit is convening enough to me that he is a very solid unit. I am anxious to play against Betacron as I am curious how annoying his powerset is to play against.
Old August 17th, 2022, 05:18 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Chris Perkins and I are playing tonight at 6 EST: https://heroscapers.com/ohs/index.ph...2Np5R3SCbNIV_4
Old August 17th, 2022, 07:36 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Point Total 550
Map: Embattled Fen
Glyphs: Wanok

Player 1 - Army: Chris Perkins - Knights x3, Alastair, Concan, Sentinels of Grax, Betacron
Player 2 - Army: Captain Stupendous - Badru x2, WWL, Van Nessing, Malone, Kolbjorn

Which units survived?
Knights x12, Concan (4 life), Betacron (1 life), Sentinels of Grax (both)

General Battle Report/Flow of game (be as detailed or general as you like)
Capt. opened with a Kolbjorn / Nessing combo, grabbing the T-glyphs on road & swamp. I opened with Concan OM1, then Beta OM2, and Beta proceeded to hit a 2/2 -> Nessing's 0/4. Kolbjorn put 1 wound on Beta from range. I had OM 3 (and all OMs for the rest of the game) on Knights. Alastair took the overextend to engage Kolbjorn and did a few wounds while Knights advanced.
Round 2, Capt. put 3 OMs on wolves and the X on Nessing. He won init and used Kolbjorn to switch the OM to Nessing, where he did a wound to Alastair across 2 SAs up. Alastair missed several attacks on Kolbjorn, but the Knights eventually finished him off. The first 2 wolves to pounce into Alastair did 3 wounds, but cost both wolves their life. Alastair eventually killed Nessing and another wolf in the SZ before Malone killed him. The final 3 wolves + WWL weren't able to do any more damage though, as Malone was quickly surrounded by Knights while I tied down WWL, killed the other wolves, and sat on Wanok for a few rounds. I was able to burn a few OMs off the wolves in the middle of that to better surround the 2 heroes. Eventually WWL was the last figure standing for Capt., but knights had him surrounded and quickly dropped him.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
Betacron - never used Sentry, but Deadly Shot did 4 wounds to Van Nessing, which drastically influenced the rest of the game.
Kolbjorn - speed / range came into play early, as he + Nessing made a T-glyph play. OM switching let Capt. get a Nessing turn when he couldn't have placed an OM normally for fear of losing the activation.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?
Kolbjorn's OM flexing was fun to play into, but it's effect was quite limited after Nessing took those early 4 wounds.
Old August 18th, 2022, 11:24 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Playing with Ry within the hour. I have my Janos and Dreadgul combo, he has the CronRoller Betaversion

edit: ryguy took the win with a single repulsor and single sniper left. The dreadguls took out quite a lot (as did chainsaw), and a 1 life Janos won the duel with Omegacron.

However the last repulsor parked on Wannok survived 2 4v3 from Maekor (and a 2v3 and 4v3 from Janos Tracking fire) to allow the lone Sniper to drop 6 skulls down on the Lizard to kill him. That left the one life Janos who succumbed to the Wannok roll.

Playtest units:
Betacron had 2 Sentry rolls (0/2) before being chainsawed to bits. (but he was scary, he dictated me shifting my entire advance to the outsides instead of the bridge)

Janos and Maekor were a 2 man team on a very weird board with not a lot of squad figures left so a bit underwhelming for them, except for the Janos killing Omegacron although odds saying he shouldn't have.

Last edited by kevindola; August 18th, 2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old August 18th, 2022, 02:00 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Army 1: Dreadgul Raiders x3, Guilty McCreech, Wastewalker Gage, Janos, Maekor, Bol
Army 2: Omegacron, Omnicron Snipers x2, Omnicron Repulsors x3, Betacron

Which units survived?
1 Omnicron Repulsor, 1 Omnicron Sniper

General Battle Report
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
Spoiler Alert!

Poor Betacron. He's doing his best, but the Chads always seem to get the best of him. Maybe one day I'll see him hit a Sentry Mode roll. The thing is, the threat of it certainly helps with board control, and hitting that roll can make a massive difference, especially against expensive squads. Patrol also seems quite useless. If he's a filler, you'll never use it. If he's part of an Omnicron army, surely you have Omegacron, and again, you'll never use it. I think I'd prefer to nix the power and drop him to 40 points, but he also seems fine as is.

Good game kevindola! That was truly a crazy game, everything about it was unpredictable. Had a fun time, and good luck with your other games.
Old August 19th, 2022, 11:00 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

BodaciousBlood (0-1) just got the win over me this morning, good game!

Army 1 (S1R): Janos, Bambina, Maekor, San Tiim, Rygarn, Marcu Esenwein
Army 2 (Blood):Cathar Spearmen x3, Nakita Agents, Drow Chainfighter x1, Motley Max, Betacron

Which units survived? 2 squads Cathar, full Beta, Drow Chainfighter, 3 life Max, and 2 Nakitas, 3 life Marcu

General Battle Report

Round 1 was all development: BB moved up Cathar while I moved JMBS and Marcu.

Round 2 I took two treasure glyphs (heroic rune for Bambina and Scarab of Invu. for Janos), while Max moved up along with some Cathar. I took out two Cathar with Bambina/Janos.

Round 3 was where I was hoping I'd grab an initiative switch, but BB got the initiative and with Motley Max pulled a 1 wound Janos into Cathar and himself along with Maekor. Max's 4/5A would've killed Janos but he was able to use the Scarab to save himself. I expeditioned on OM1, and only put two wounds on Max. Two OMs on Cathar with great height perches on the sand took out Maekor (after one ineffective turn with him and Bambina on OM2), and I Rygarn'd over to Marcu who took out one Cathar.

Round 4 I was still hoping for that init switch and put OM1 on Janos, but the Nakitas took him out after BB got initiative. I rygarn'd to San Tiim, forgetting to leave the X on her so I could heal my upcoming OM2 and 3 on Bambina. Good thing I didn't, as she fell to three Nakita attacks and I lost both OM2 and 3.

Round 5 I took initiative and activated a 1 life San Tiim with healing trance and she took out a Nakita. Max pulled her down and she died on BB's OM1, so Rygarn never got his heals and died at the end of round without doing any wounds or hitting one of his three jump rolls.

Going into the game, my goal was to stay on the bridge after grabbing the two TG's as the bridge limits the Cathar heighted ranged attacks and I could still attack down on Wannok while keeping the group compact for Rygarn/San Tiim range (both 6 spaces). Marcu is a good spear absorber to limit Cathar as well. However, Max blew that plan up though by grabbing Janos and putting him in a terrible spot where he couldn't leave without 3 LEAs and certain death after 3 spear/strike rolls - great play!

Spoiler Alert!

I like playing the hero-heavy style of the Janos group and had fun with them. Rygarn helps to not lose OMs even with the combo removed. I felt it was needed since ranged squads can target key figures easily, making placing a round's worth of OMs tricky. I saved two OMs that way, but still lost another two.

Last edited by S1R_ART0R1US; August 19th, 2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old August 21st, 2022, 04:06 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Format: 550 points / 24 hexes
Map: Freezer Burn

Glyphs: Ulaniva, Zawit, 2x Treasures

Vydar_XLIII Army: I look once more, just around the River Tribe!: Kolbjorn, Himmelskralle, 5x Mohican River Tribe, Marcu Esenwein
Dompredator77 army: The Mouth of Utgar Nidhogg, Tul-Bak-Ra, 3x Marro Dividers, 1x Marrden Nagrubs, Isamu

Battle Report:
Spoiler Alert!

Surviving Units
Vydar_XLIII Surviving Units: 1/15 Mohican River Tribesmen. 23 points surviving.

Playtest Unit Statistics:

Spoiler Alert!

Additional Thoughts:

I’ve played Kolbjorn in 2 playtesting tournaments now and I really like him. In this particular game, I was way too aggressive with him in round 2 and it shortened his lifespan considerably. I utilized Call to the Hunt pretty well this game even though Himmelskralle’s Onslaught was stopped twice by the Divider’s hot D20, I mean 7 divides when he’s only fielding 9 figures. That’s crazy. I definitely prefer the Mohican/Himmel army more than the Mohican/Teeth army I played last year.

Nidhogg killed 8 Mohicans and put the final wound on HImmelskralle (with, like 3 wounds of overkill). He can definitely be worth the 230 point cost. I think a bit of his damage output this game was tempered by actively not doing a Breath attack because of adjacent Dividers. The matchup here was pretty even, Necrotic Breath not interacting with Concealment offsetting the way Battle Fury made Skeletal form mostly irrelevant. I don’t have the same negative visceral reaction to Nidhogg that other people have had but I wouldn’t mind a bit more “spice” to a miniature this cool. Just keep him a Lord to have synergy with the Skeletons of Annelintia, I like that army a lot.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old August 21st, 2022, 06:38 PM
Scapecon Mom

Brean of Philly is surprisingly tart

Game 1
Point Total 550
Map: Freezer Burn
Glyphs: Zawit & Ulanivia

Player 1 - Army: Brean of Philly - Omegacron, Omnicron Snipers x2, Omnicron Repulsors x3, Betacron
Player 2 - Army: ryguy266 - Janos, Maekor, Bambina, Greenscale Warriors x3

Which units survived?
Omegacron - 1 wound
2 Omnicron Repulsors
2 Omnicron Snipers

General Battle Report/Flow of game (be as detailed or general as you like)
Spoiler Alert!

Betacron
This was an interesting match up in that Betacron objectively contributed nothing the offensive performance of the ‘cron army, but I do believe affected my opponent’s strategy. My intention was to place Betacron into a forward position early to create a Sentry threat zone. This discouraged Ryguy from developing too far forward and claiming more ideal positions, but rather course correct his movement around the outskirts of Betacron’s range. This gave me time to develop a screen of repulsors and claim the Ulanivia glyph, ensuring most Sniper and Omegacron attacks were boosted for the majority of the game. The Sentry Mode power only triggered three times and failed each, so I am torn on the effectiveness of the figure. I think there is some merit to considering Betacron as a pseudo-cheerleader - he probably won’t do much actual damage, but his threatening presence is enough to swing early development in your favor. You can expect him to be targeted early, either by figures with far range or a melee figure with enough life/defense to risk the rush, but the hope is to do enough so that Omegacron and the other offensive figures in your army are set up for success.

Janos
Though I did not play the army with Janos, I do want to commend Ryguy on his fantastic utilization of Janos’s Expedition power. In particular, Ryguy was able to within two turns move Janos onto a treasure glyph, reveal and claim the Heroic Rune, then - realizing the glyph would be better used by another figure - drop the treasure glyph while moving Janos so that on Expedition Maekor could step in to claim it. Granted this may not be a common occurrence, but I think perfectly demonstrates the potential of Expedition to respond to map conditions and take full advantage of each figure’s individual powers and stats.

I overall really enjoy the ‘cron build and think that Betacron fits well into the army’s synergies. I would appreciate some clarification around “Sentry Mode may only be used once per turn”. We played the game assuming this is in reference to player turn, not figure turn. If read differently, this would allow Betacron to activate both on Bambina’s turn during Lizard King Bonding, and on the Greenscales turn within a single Order Marker.
Old August 22nd, 2022, 11:18 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

MegaSilver and I are starting now. He has his Vark army and I have my Space Cowboys.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 11:41 AM
I'm Feeling Inspired To Play Some Gladiators

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Sir Artorious gave a good report so I'll just add my thoughts of the playtest units:

Honestly, I think each of the units that saw playtime were really good. Had Motley Max not really murked things up for the hero pod (like he tends to do against pod armies) they would have been a force to be reckoned with.

Janos without the Rygarn synergy feels right. 3 activations is just super good. It makes sense to only allow that to happen once every round.

Saan Tiim feels super weak to me. Janos was dead by the time the healing trance could have been beneficial. But without Janos, to burn a turn on her when you have wounded heroes is certainly a gamble. The payoff could be big when she is activated by Janos though.

All of that said, I feel like there are better options in the explorer/mercenary toolbox than Saan Tiim.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 03:27 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Like I did last year,

ROUND ONE STATS

I didn't see a result for the Sir Heroscape v Tiamat game. I'll update with that result at some point.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old August 23rd, 2022, 05:05 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
FYI

Kolby lost my game.

For playtest notes. Kolby was useful but I misplayed him to take advantage of his stuff. I like the figure a lot but nothing from this game that I haven't already said elsewhere

Betacron is a very useful piece for Cronroller. It can be annoying when he goes off but you can try to bait your opponent into using the sentry power at the wrong time. I like that interplay.

~Dysole, thoughtfully

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting