Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old July 12th, 2015, 10:10 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!
Homemade Terrain Creation?

I'm looking for a way to create my own terrain for HS. Options seem to be resin casting, 3D printing, or lazer cutting. While I don't currently have access to the latter options, I do have the funds to obtain lower-end machines (and who doesn't want a 3D printer, honestly?) but they're still a large investment (and kills my entire gaming budget for a while).

Lazer cutting seems to be the least useful to me as I am not aware of a way to cut out the bottoms of tiles, and has minimal use to me outside HS.

3D printing is really cool, and depending on model I get I could theoretically produce custom figures and pieces for other games as well, but requires a lot of extra painting time or purchasing various colors/high end multi-nozzled model.

I've always just been afraid of dropping money into resin casting and just totally screwing everything up.

Any advice would be welcomed!
Old July 12th, 2015, 11:18 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Homemade Terrain Creation?

@aquamaniac27 , check out some of the custom creators on the site that don't use that stuff. There are lots of good tutorials on here. Unless that is not what your after.
Good luck with your endeavor.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:35 AM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@aquamaniac27 , check out some of the custom creators on the site that don't use that stuff. There are lots of good tutorials on here. Unless that is not what your after.
Yeah I'm not looking for castles or custom bridges or fauna (I've already made a bunch myself), I'm looking to produce hex tiles in my own home. I see that a lot of people use 3D printing, I just don't know how effective it really is.
Old July 13th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

For custom bridges I picked up these mini-fences from Hobby Lobby.

These make for great walls/fences, they also have ones without the gate.

Cool bridge also.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Yeah I'm not looking for castles or custom bridges or fauna (I've already made a bunch myself), I'm looking to produce hex tiles in my own home. I see that a lot of people use 3D printing, I just don't know how effective it really is.
Many have attempted this. I just don't know of anyone that has actually found a perfect solution. At least not yet.
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:21 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

I'm not sure the low end 3D printers will be able to produce tiles with enough precision to allow them to fit together correctly. They also need to lay down a support structure inside what is being printed so that may interfere with stacking the tiles.
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

It seems like you could print the hexes upside down to avoid having the extra support.
I am still waiting on mine, so I will let you know if it ever arrives.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:06 AM

G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby!

Molding is the cheapest and easiest way. If you wanted to go cheaper I have seen people make hexes out of foam core and cover it with clay or apoxie. I've personally used apoxie to sculpt new tiles like leifkicker use to do. He made some amazing marro terrain that way. The fastest way is a 3D printer, but the quality is better if you sculpt & mold, takes longer but it's also cheaper in the longrun. It all depends on how much time vs money you have or are willing to invest.

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased that line."
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1shark View Post
Molding is the cheapest and easiest way. If you wanted to go cheaper I have seen people make hexes out of foam core and cover it with clay or apoxie. I've personally used apoxie to sculpt new tiles like leifkicker use to do. He made some amazing marro terrain that way. The fastest way is a 3D printer, but the quality is better if you sculpt & mold, takes longer but it's also cheaper in the longrun. It all depends on how much time vs money you have or are willing to invest.
In some cases, hunting for sales on the internet (craigslist, ebay, etc) can be cheep, and is definitally the easiest.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:02 PM

G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby!

^ what he said

If your interested in the custom built stuff you can find Leifkicker tutorials here:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=8872

White Knights works:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=48645
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=50776 <-3D printer Files

3D Heroscape Files from Shapeways:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=50418

Ozzy-Scaper's Castle GraySkull which is pretty impressive.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=35522

Wriggz has made some amazing terrian peices which you can find here:
http://test.heroscapers.com/communit...ted-20-06-2011)

Chachi's Laser Cut hexes.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=49559

There are also several Kickstarters that have been launched in the past such as this one:
Spoiler Alert!

Currently Reaper is doing bones 3 which has some items you can use to make small terrain pieces:
Spoiler Alert!

If your interested some people on heroscapers have purchased these, but I myself have not, I have heard they are a bit fragile though.
http://lyrislaser.com/product/heroic...cape-tiles-50/

Stuff i've worked on.
Spoiler Alert!

All these are just a handful of accomplishments Heroscapers has created & Provided thought out the years. Even after being on this site sense 2006 (lurking and registering on 2007) I still discover things made years ago that are spectacular and genuine.

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased that line."

Last edited by G1shark; July 15th, 2015 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Being more Useful.
Old July 18th, 2015, 06:38 AM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here are a few pieces I have made, a military style bunker made from a plastic mushroom container and a bridge made from some dowel, the wooden pulls from inside the bottoms of old window shades and some floral chain.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles