Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old July 12th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: How to choose, and use, the Elven Army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post

At 6 range, it's possible for a melee unit with 5 move (6 threat range) to get to Ulginesh. If he had more range he'd be deadlier.
Yeah, but that's on flat ground. If there are any elevations, Ulginesh can just fly from height tro height and the landlubbers can't catch 'im.

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:51 AM

DoubleSh0t is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

elves are my favorite army to play by far. i think their ranged attacks are a big advantage. i am still looking for the right combination for the best army and the best style of play (more offensive or defensive) but i still like playing with them.

Last edited by DoubleSh0t; July 28th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t View Post
evles are my favorite army to play by far. i think there ranged attacks are a big advantage. i am still looking for the right combination for the best army and the best style of play (more offensive or defensive) but i still like playing with them.
I don't like the "evles" because they remove the ability to use the Shift key.
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM

donjake Woo who?

I have been using syvarris from the start for multiple reasons like double attack and 3 (4,5 with hight advantage) but those wizards look like they could help

Last edited by donjake; August 12th, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

I've won quite a few games with these guys, and I've found that the following "core" seems to work extremely well:

Ulginesh 150
Arkmer 50
Jorhdawn 100
Chardris 90

Total 390

From there, you could add Acorlarh, Kyntela, Raelin or WoA for defense, Emiroon for movement and the ability to yo-yo, Morsbane for negation, Aubrien Archers or Syvarris for more offensive power (which you probably won't need - see below), or Sonlen for healing (in higher point games).

These four form the offensive core of the Elf Wizards. Ulginesh's Mind Link lets you take a turn with any two of them, allowing for two attacks of four or five. Generally speaking, if the enemy is farther away you'll want to attack with Chardris and Jorhdawn (especially if your opponent is squad-heavy), but once they close in and engage your figures you should probably attack with Arkmer instead of Jorhdawn so you don't have to defend against your own attacks.

They don't work all that well by themselves, so you will need backup of some sort; however, once you get into position the majority of your turns should be focused on using Mind Link to attack with two of the three other wizards in the core group. For the rest of the army I'd recommend RotV Raelin, WoA (x2), Kyntela, and Emiroon, which comes out to 670 points total (which emphasizes the fact that they only work well at higher point limits). The beauty of this is that Raelin and Kyntela make the WoA nearly invincible in melee, so not only do they boost Arkmer's defense but they also make a nasty screen to deal with. Kyntela and Emiroon can keep Chardris and Jorhdawn's attacks at full strength if you lose a wizard or two.

To me, the wizards are one of the most challenging armies to use if you don't know how to use them. Using them is almost like playing chess; positioning is vitally important and each move has to be well thought out. Only someone with a lot of experience playing them could maximize their potential, which certainly makes them one of the most interesting armies to see in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I've won quite a few games with these guys, and I've found that the following "core" seems to work extremely well:

Ulginesh 150
Arkmer 50
Jorhdawn 100
Chardris 90

Total 390

From there, you could add Acorlarh, Kyntela, Raelin or WoA for defense, Emiroon for movement and the ability to yo-yo, Morsbane for negation, Aubrien Archers or Syvarris for more offensive power (which you probably won't need - see below), or Sonlen for healing (in higher point games).

These four form the offensive core of the Elf Wizards. Ulginesh's Mind Link lets you take a turn with any two of them, allowing for two attacks of four or five. Generally speaking, if the enemy is farther away you'll want to attack with Chardris and Jorhdawn (especially if your opponent is squad-heavy), but once they close in and engage your figures you should probably attack with Arkmer instead of Jorhdawn so you don't have to defend against your own attacks.

They don't work all that well by themselves, so you will need backup of some sort; however, once you get into position the majority of your turns should be focused on using Mind Link to attack with two of the three other wizards in the core group. For the rest of the army I'd recommend RotV Raelin, WoA (x2), Kyntela, and Emiroon, which comes out to 670 points total (which emphasizes the fact that they only work well at higher point limits). The beauty of this is that Raelin and Kyntela make the WoA nearly invincible in melee, so not only do they boost Arkmer's defense but they also make a nasty screen to deal with. Kyntela and Emiroon can keep Chardris and Jorhdawn's attacks at full strength if you lose a wizard or two.

To me, the wizards are one of the most challenging armies to use if you don't know how to use them. Using them is almost like playing chess; positioning is vitally important and each move has to be well thought out. Only someone with a lot of experience playing them could maximize their potential, which certainly makes them one of the most interesting armies to see in action.
I've always felt that Chardris was important in this kind of army. He adds that punch that Arkmer doesn't have.

And I know most of you know this, but I believe the point costs revolving around the Elven Army suggests it was meant to be played at 600 points. The numbers work out perfectly.

Ulginesh+Arkmer=200
Jorhdawn=100
Emiroon+Kyntella=100
Acolarh+Chardris=200
Total 600/7

Another army I've tried before was:
Ulginesh 150
Arkmer 50
Jorhdawn 100
Emiroon 80
Kyntella 20
Chardris 90
Syvarris 100
Sonlen 160
Total 750/9

Yes, it's not the average number of points in an army. But it was still really fun!

I still believe if you're playing this kind of army, your best bet is:

Ulginesh 150
Arkmer 50
Emiroon 80
Kyntella 20
Jorhdawn 100
Chardris 90
Isamu/Otonashi 10
Total 500/7
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
And I know most of you know this, but I believe the point costs revolving around the Elven Army suggests it was meant to be played at 600 points. The numbers work out perfectly.

Ulginesh+Arkmer=200
Jorhdawn=100
Emiroon+Kyntella=100
Acolarh+Chardris=200
Total 600/8
What about Morsbane? He pushes it up to 700pts. And then there's the mysterious ninth that we have yet to see.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:30 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

I've found that:

Ulginesh 150
Arkmen 50
Jorhdawn 100
Kyntella 20
Emiroon 80
WOA x 2 100

Works quite well at 500 points against a melee army. If facing range, I might drop the WOA for Raelin + Marcu.
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:

Ulginesh+Arkmer=200
Jorhdawn=100
Emiroon+Kyntella=100
Acolarh+Chardris=200
Total 600/8
What about Morsbane? He pushes it up to 700pts. And then there's the mysterious ninth that we have yet to see.
Forget Morsbane. No one likes him.

And thanks for catching my mistake Ollie. I had it at 8 the first time, then thought I had gotten it wrong.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM

donjake Woo who?

Does anyone know any tips for how to use the Warriors of Alasha?
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ulginesh+Arkmer=200
Jorhdawn=100
Emiroon+Kyntella=100
Acolarh+Chardris=200
Total 600/8
But everyone loves Acorlarh.

I'm thinking about taking the elf wizard army without either of those two to a 500pt general-specific tournament this fall.
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ulginesh+Arkmer=200
Jorhdawn=100
Emiroon+Kyntella=100
Acolarh+Chardris=200
Total 600/8
But everyone loves Acorlarh.

I'm thinking about taking the elf wizard army without either of those two to a 500pt general-specific tournament this fall.
Touche.

Morsbane and Acolarh both suck, but at least Acolarh has more synergy.

Is Acolarh still horrible? Yes, but what are you going to do?

I do agree on your lost post though, that if you had to drop someone for 500, drop Acolarh. The only question is would be if you'd take Isamu or Otonashi?

On another note, I tried these guys minus Chardris and Acolarh in a 3 vs 3, defend the castle scenario, and they weren't that bad. The biggest problem was that once they were in place, the only useful one to activate (through Mind Link) was Jorhdawn, since Arkmer rarely had someone within range.

In the end, Cyprien took out my whole army except Ulginesh. So they played pretty evenly.

I think the hardest part about using these guys is keeping them together while maintaining height. Since the elves require 7 spaces, the best placement is probably:

J C
U K A
U E

The problem is that not all maps have these 7 spaces with height. Hmm...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles