Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM

Hypatias_Father Woo who?
Why leave Heroscape?

Not infrequently, as I am browsing ebay for Heroscape booty, I stumble across a seller who is offering up an entire collection, either as one large lot or broken up into smaller auctions. Some of these lots are accompanied by explanations to the effect that they have decided to liquidate, "getting out of Heroscape" as it were. In this vein, some sellers also give the impression that their decision was made suddenly.

Though I am sure each person has his own reason (diaper money, money for college, etc.) for selling, I can't help but wonder what, aside from quick cash, would motivate such a sacrifice? Did this person have a "moment of clarity" such as described in various 12-step programs? Did they awaken one afternoon, bleary-eyed and spent, still clutching a handful of Krav Maga Agents, and realize with shame and horror that they were late again for work? Did they happen to catch an image of themselves in the mirror as they nudged awake yet another stranger, passed out, face-first onto the gaming table, a stringlet of drool pooling onto the newly flocked terrain?

For my part, I can say that I am nowhere near burning out, because I don't get a chance to over-indulge and play as much as I would like to. However, even if I did take a break from the game, I can't imagine selling our family's collection, mostly because in my mind the sets have now approached something close to heirloom status.

So, how 'bout it? Has anyone here ever come close to similarly renouncing the game, either dramatically as illustrated, or by just going through a period of garden-variety "burn-out"?

Any thoughts?

~HF
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:55 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Maybe they feed their time and money into some kind of mistress game like Evercrack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I could see myself selling all my 'scape stuff eventually.

Like, maybe fifty years from now when I'll make a mint for having a complete set of a toy that some collector wants. You know, to retire to Florida on or something.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:03 AM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
Most have no time for the game, or people to play with, some want to drink or smoke the extra cash, some need money for newborn supplies. Some just are not into this type of game (those type of poeple do exist) .

I have had about 6 oportunities to buy out large collections cheap, and I was only unable to talk one of them out of it so I purchased his set, the rest decided to keep the game.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:05 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane

Like, maybe fifty years from now when I'll make a mint for having a complete set of a toy that some collector wants. You know, to retire to Florida on or something.
Whew. For a moment there, I was scared. Just a moment.

And then I started wondering what your price would be.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:09 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Quote:

Not me, I'm the kind of guy who waits for some old senile person to give up his collection for a reasonable price. I don't give up collecting. Besides, I've got 150 acres in Tennessee willed to me smack dab in the middle of the world's two largest WalMarts, so who needs Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido
Quote:

Not me, I'm the kind of guy who waits for some old senile person to give up his collection for a reasonable price. I don't give up collecting. Besides, I've got 150 acres in Tennessee willed to me smack dab in the middle of the world's two largest WalMarts, so who needs Florida?
See now, if I had about a quarter square mile of land I might not need to sell my scape when I'm old too.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:54 AM

Hypatias_Father Woo who?
Quote:
Some just are not into this type of game (those type of poeple do exist) .
Point taken. But, surely you'd think that they'd figure out that the game wasn't their cup of tea before dropping half a K (or more) on it. Not that I would complain if I were given the chance to unburden some erstwhile Heroscaper of his oppressive loot. Once in 1983 I was gifted a MASSIVE vinyl music collection due to the fact that a friend of a friend had come back from a church camp convinced that certain music styles were satanic.

Come to think of it... None of you guys are planning to attend any church camps in the near future, are you?

~HF
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:56 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!
Times change and people change. There's lots of things that can happen that might keep you from playing. You or your friends move away, you get a new job, or may just find there's no time for 'Scaping any more (perish the thought!) If you're finding you don't ever play it then there's no sense having it collect dust and space. Add a complaining spouse (Get this crap out of my sewing room!") and it gets even simpler. Why not sell it?

I knew a guy who had a huge Warhammer 40K collection. That represents a much higher investment of time and money than HS and he still got rid of it all. He plays Guild Wars (PC Game sorta like Diablo I'm told) because he can play whenever he wants and doesn't have any problems finding people to play with. I tried to get him interested in HS, but he was sort of, "Sounds like fun but I've been there; done that."

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:06 AM

BenQ has disabled reputation
I need a collection, anyone selling?
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:16 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenQ
I need a collection, anyone selling?
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=14131
He says he won't ship overseas, but money talks. I've shipped many things overseas and never had a problem. It isn't that big a deal.

He's new here so there might be some scam-worries, but if it was a scam why would you refuse to ship overseas? If I was unscrupulous and wasn't going to ship it anyhow I'd agree to ship it to Mars.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old November 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM

SgtHulka has disabled reputation
Re: Why leave Heroscape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatias_Father
Did this person have a "moment of clarity" such as described in various 12-step programs? Did they awaken one afternoon, bleary-eyed and spent, still clutching a handful of Krav Maga Agents, and realize with shame and horror that they were late again for work? Did they happen to catch an image of themselves in the mirror as they nudged awake yet another stranger, passed out, face-first onto the gaming table, a stringlet of drool pooling onto the newly flocked terrain?
OMG you started my morning with a laugh. Thanks.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion